Another Spark Energy Complaint

Comments

• Houbara wrote: »
    It won t go to a court for collections. Spark will not throw good money after bad getting involved with court cases.
    The first "court " occupiers can turn to is the Energy Ombudsman to make a complaint . The The normal method, which all suppliers do to recover debts is to force fit a prepayment meter and load the debt onto that to be collected every week. The weekly repayment rate is between £3.50 and £16 a week depending on the size.. £500 debt, I d guess would be around £8 a week.
    They will charge an extra £150 to fit the meter plus another £150 if it has to be force fitted with a court warrant cost, so avoid all this.
    It sounds like two people have messed up here. The outgoing tenant can t have put an end reading in ( or a believable one ) and the new tenant did nt submit an accurate start reading from the exact date the tenancy started.. Spark Energy are looking to cover the costs of the outgoing tenant as well by the sound of it. A copy of the tenancy agreement showing the dates can allow them to work out a fairly accurate estimate using historical data for the property..

The fitting of a PPM would not be appropriate in this circumstance as the poster has referred to receiving a final bill (which they are refusing to pay) following a house move.
  • neocorps
    neocorps Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm waiting for them to contact me about the debt so that I can give the meter readings to correct the final invoice. I'm done with trying to fix the problem on their side, however.
  • Haran
    Haran Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2019 at 3:15PM
    Very Similar issue with the spark energy. They've sent the wrong bill, no one is helping to resolve, every day getting text messages and emails from Opos and spark, waiting for the 12 weeks time to take energy ombudsman.

This is my email to Spark /Opos

Hi {Edited by Forum Team},

I want to let you know that I am taking up the payment dispute with Spark Energy with Ofgem, potentially further legal proceedings against them too if the issue is not resolved to my satisfaction.

Spark Energy has been inconsistent with my bills and there have been many errors in the past. Latest confusion on my tariff came from the fact, my previous occupant of the house many years ago (~2010, Mr. Ben Southgate) got mixed up from 1st July 17. From this point it is a complete disaster even to the point while I was paying by direct debit, I was charged a Cash/Cheque Tariff.

Further Spark Energy has redone all my previous bills replacing with new ones dated 28th Nov 18, retrospectively - changing the tariffs, updating customer meter readings with estimated readings. This is simply wrong and fraudulent, changing the old bills as they wish and updating with new estimated meter readings. Only after redoing all my old bills they believe that I owe them money. As per new bills, they changed the Tariffs many times and I wasn’t informed at all about this, which they are obliged to. I am sure you can understand these are not legal, for a service company to do.

I have managed to retrieve the old bills from Spark Energy and I have redone all my calculations. As per that Spark Energy owe me approximately £950.

I am considering legal actions against Spark Energy, potentially there could be many other customers in this category. I will inform Ofgem and follow up legal proceeding as necessary to get my money back from Spark Energy and the compensation for all the stress it caused.

Please inform Spark Energy the above facts, specially mixing my bills with {Edited by Forum Team} from 1st July 17 and apply wrong Tariffs that could be applicable to {Edited by Forum Team}. Further kindly request them to retrieve all bills from #10 (Invoice #3005632, dated 20 Sept 15) to Bill #17 (Invoice #6030438 dated 1st of July 2017), which clearly show that at the at the end of June 17, I was in credit of £742.29 (since I started with Spark from 7/06/13). After that Spark Energy collected further £1719.56 from me between 1st July 17 and 2nd July 18 via direct debit payments (i.e. total of £2461.85 in credit). This is against a bill of £1506.36 for the period 30th June 17 to 20th July 18 (my tariff till 14th Feb 18 was Direct Debit Advance and from 14th Feb to 20th July 18 – Compact Saver April 19). I left Spark Energy to new supplier 20th July 18. Based on this Spark Energy owe me approximately £950.00 (I didn’t take into account dual fuel credit nor any leaving charges).

Best Regards

HT
  • Same issues as most, i went on spsrk thru default. They overcharged me with no proper bills i tried to lwave ans they wouldnt let me saying i owed them money. I was desperate to leave so i paid the money asking for proper bills which i never recieved. I now know i was blaintly overcharged but is it too late to fo anything about it amd where do i go
  • Haran
    This is email received from Spark, They have no intention to resolve my issue, no contact numbers.....very very bad company in UK

Dear HXXX,

Thanks for your email.

Due to what's happened recently with Spark you'll need to wait or KPMG to get in touch as we can no longer help with anything prior to the 27th November 2018. Spark went under administration on the 27th November last year and KPMG are the administrators who are now in charge of Spark's previous accounts and collections. They should be in touch within the next couple of weeks.

Ovo Energy took over Spark and from the 28th November are still trading under the Spark name but as a part of Ovo so we can only work on those accounts.

You'll be able to take up any billing issues or queries with KPMG with them as we can't do anything on those accounts any more.

Kind regards,

XXXXX

XXXXXX

Customer Relations Team

T 0345 130 8354

Spark Energy
    Ettrick Riverside, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk TD7 5E
  • Haran
    Also i have asked to give the KPMG contact details, giving their customer service number, I don't think , I can get back my £1k, but i never going let them go easily. Seeking some advises now.
  • Haran
    HI ALL, PLEASE SEE THE EMAIL....STILL TRADING AS SPARK ENERGY!!!!

Dear Mr XXXXX,

Thank you for getting in touch.

Our records show that you raised a formal complaint against Spark Energy Supply Limited on 14/01/2019 regarding your former account. Our records indicate that you switched from Spark Energy Supply Limited to a new supplier on 19/07/2018 and your account was closed. You may be aware that Blair Nimmo and Alistair McAlinden of KPMG were appointed Joint Administrators of Spark Energy Supply Limited on 28 November 2018. Spark Energy Supply Limited ceased to trade on this date and all of its affairs are being managed by the Joint Administrators. Unfortunately, because your complaint was not resolved prior to Spark Energy Supply Limited ceasing to trade, we are unable to offer you any assistance with this matter. You can find further support and advice on the Ofgem website. Alternatively, if you need additional support, you can call Citizens Advice on 03454 04 05 06.

Regards

XXXXX

Customer Relations Team

T 0345 130 8354

Spark Energy
    Ettrick Riverside, Dunsdale Road, Selkirk TD7 5EB
  • Haran
    edited 17 January 2019 at 12:32PM
    ONLY REASON UPDATING - ''I DON'T WANT ANOTHER PERSON GET INTO SOME SITUATION''

Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2019 at 14:52
    Subject: Re: Sorry We Missed You
    Hello XXXX,

Thank you for getting in contact with us here at Opos Limited. Unfortunately we are no longer dealing with this matter and has been passed back to Spark Energy. You will need to contact them over the matter.

Thanks,
    DXXXXX (Opos Limited)

To: General
    Subject: Fwd: Sorry We Missed You

Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 at 07:26
    Subject: Re: Sorry We Missed You

On Sat, 29 Dec 2018, 9:27

Spark Energy Customer Service,

I first logged the complaint on 23rd November 2018 when I received the new re-calculated bill for 5 years.
    I will give you another 8 weeks for a resolution/response before taking up with Ofgem (giving 12 weeks for Spark Energy to resolve against my compliant).

AXXX (Opos Limited),

There is no point in you contact me until the issue is resolved by Spark or classify by them as deadlock sooner.

Hope you understand the situation.

Thank you
  • Hi Haran

Sorry to hear you're having issues getting the support you need.

If you email me your details using the address in my profile, I can pass the information over to our Team Manager so that we can look at what we can do or point you in the right direction. I understand it must be frustrating for you at the moment, and I'm sorry that's the case.

Only balance disputes for usage after 28/11/18 can be dealt with by Spark Energy directly, as this relates to usage under the Spark Energy brand owned by OVO Energy.

I'm sorry it's all a bit confusing just now, but I'll do my best for you.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • DrNuts
    DrNuts Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 24 February 2019 at 10:01PM
    On Feb 5th 2019 I have paid £19-71 to OPOS rather than have debt collectors chasing me. I received a text (!!) from 'OPOS' advising me that I owed money. It appeared that there was an outstanding amount on my account from before Spark energy went into administration. I had no idea about this and had had no communication from either Spark or OPOS that there was an amount outstanding. I have therefore no evidence that this issue is 'real' other than the say-so of people on the phone. did verify the issue with Spark before making the payment but again have no real evidence.I have been with Spark energy since September 2018, this is because (and only because) my wife and I are currently renting and 'Spark' is the landlord and managing agents preferred supplier. Otherwise I would have nothing to do with them, and will be giving feedback about this issue. I am totally unconvinced that this is a real debt (I think it's a clerical error, my account is otherwise in order), and have asked for a follow up. It could also be a scam.....the OPOS person I spoke to let it slip that KPMG are the administrators (which I have subsequently verified by checking online) so clearly they are trying to extract as much money out of the process as possible. I haven't seen anything on this in the media......anyone else had a similar experience?
    Yesterday (Feb 23) I actually received a reply from Spark (maybe?), which didn't answer my question (how was this amount calculated) at all. Instead, they just sent me a standard reply asking for more meter readings.....(see below), yet my meters were only read two weeks ago.
    Their reply (extract):...obviously they are just either stalling or ducking the issue
    "All pre 28.11.2018 accounts are being dealt with by KPMG, the administrators of Spark Energy Supply Ltd. Your account number 9xxxxxxxx8 falls in to this category and the administrators will contact you in due course with regard to it if necessary.
    We can advise that to date due to the lack of any actual meter readings your accounts have been billed on the basis of estimated consumption. With the two traditionally highest months of consumption having now been completed this has been reflected in the estimated billing of your account 9xxxxxx5.
    This estimation is calculated on the basis of Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC). The EAC is an independently generated seasonally adjusted consumption figure related to the size and geographical location of the property.
    Spark has a legal responsibility to generate regular bills for each account and it is for this reason that, in the absence of actual meter readings, the EAC is used. It may be the case that this estimation of consumption is not reflective of your actual consumption and it will be very helpful in assisting us to progress the matter if you can advise us of two sets of meter readings taken at least seven days apart from each of your meters."

The thing about the estimated bill is just irrelevant. They've read the meter. Overall, having read other items on here, I am very worried about the whole process. It seems like it's quite common for Spark (or whoever) to inflate the bills or demand administration fees. Can't wait to get out of this rental!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback