PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2018

Comments

• villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Haven't posted for a while on here.

Make do - using up food from freezer and using last leeks from the garden.
    In the garden I have divided plants and filling up bare areas of ground.

Mend - sewn on a couple of buttons .
    Mended a trowel. The handle now doesn't fall off.

Minimise - books, clothes, magazines and various rubbish has left the house.
  • misstara
    misstara Posts: 3,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    silvasava wrote: »
    Mistara - advertise the wood on free cycle - someone will snatch it up for their wood burner and you won't need to do a tip run.

Thanks for the tip silvasava - my neighbour asked me what I was planning to do with the wood as someone she knew wanted it. I came home from work the next day and it was all gone :D

Planted the onions and potatoes. There's a couple of tiny shoots poking up through the soil where I planted the onions. I also planted some garlic. Still to plant the bulbs that my neighbour gave me, also going to plant lettuce, carrots and broccoli.

Need to look at ways of minimising our food bill as I feel like we spend far too much. Going to sit down with OH later and make a meal plan.

Not much else to report, work has pretty much taken over my life at the moment and any free time I've got, I'm trying to use to train towards a 26 mile charity walk. It seemed like a good idea at the time :rotfl:. Hope you're all having a good weekend.
    Debt Dec 2022 - £2972.68. Current debt - £0 (100% paid). Flat deposit - £10549.64/£15000 (70.3% saved). Emergency fund - £1409.88/£1500 (94% saved).
  • Mended bathroom plug and my tea strainer both had come loose from its hinges. Also mended three solar lights but I!!!8217;ve had to throw one away as it was beyond help. Did keep the mosaic holder and stick in case one of the others broke.

Minimised a box of ornaments that I was gifted but never really liked. So I will drop off next week to chazza along with some books.

Made do with food from freezer for lunch and dinner tonight. Trying to use up the odds and ends of food.

Herbs are now planted and doing well on balcony and in my mums garden so I will be able to use them to make things. Mostly room sprays, lavender pouches and oils for gifts. Most of the herbs were cuttings so only cost £5.00 for the oregano, sage and the compost.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Planning to sort out my tub I've been using for herbs. It's not really been successful as it's concrete and dries out too much. I've bought some basil to repot and keep indoors and some flat leaf parsley for outside. Just need some chives now. I buy them in the SM as they are cheaper than the garden centre. I'll also buy some living lettuce next time I see some to replant - it keeps us going for at least a couple of months.
    Altered a dress for DGD - she's on holiday tomorrow so will collect later today. There's a couple of small mending jobs and then I can pack all my sewing stuff away.
    No particular minimising at the moment though.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • villagelife
    villagelife Posts: 3,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Loads of minimizing being done here. Loads of garden rubbish including metal, cement and glass rubbish that had been buried by previous owner.
    Also a briefcase which I finally convinced DH that he didn't need any more. He hasn't used it since 2003.

Mend the handle on the shower door.

Make do. Reusing old plant pots. I know that they are plastic but am using them when slightly broken. The seedlings don't mind.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Make do - Food from the French fridge/freezer & store cupboard

Mend - nothing

Minimise - probably around 50 black bin bags, loads of furniture both large & small, house wares etc etc etc

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • cafelady
    cafelady Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Have been having a major clear out of 20 odd years of family detritus. I treated myself to a skip for Easter instead of an egg, and we filled it with garden rubbish, old, broken stuff from the loft, shed and garage.

Also recycled about three boxes of paper, took about three sacks to the charity shop, gave some dog stuff and jam jars away on freegle, gave some stuff to a teacher friend for their school fair, sold a box of books to musicMagpie and have another to send, and have around another five sacks and a small table for the charity shop!

Still loads to clear and sort, but made a good start!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    DH came out to give me a hand in the garden - he sorted all he empty plastic compost bags and got rid of the too small ones ( he keeps them for ash and wood chippings that are passed on) Lots of clearing and planting done but lots more to do.
    He also minimised the ironing basket and put some eyelets in a canvas bag I'd made for my boat.
    Mnmised freezer stocks for tea - a good joint effort on the MMM front!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Treasurequeen
    Treasurequeen Posts: 615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Minimised three large boxes of old paperwork, one box of stuff for charity shop. Mended my bathroom door handle after it fell off in my hands. Im going to get some different screws for it, as every week the blooming handle comes off the door. I know Im heavy handed but Im sure its a dodgy handle. Made do with stocks from freezer.

IVe got an elderly neighbour who wants to spruce her garden up so Im going to take cuttings for her so she doesnt need to spend much money.
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,891 Forumite
    Hi from wet miserably cold SW France :(

Make do - eating from freezer & larder stocks

Mend - kitchen cupboard door & chairs for new owners :)

Minimise - still decluttering/selling/donating - today large black bin bag of rubbish, bag of books to Tip, bag of glass to Bottle Bank, box of toys to Drs surgery

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure