PIP Downgrade - advice please

2»

Comments

• Willow1976
    Willow1976 Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thank you - have checked and they definitely took points for dressing. he can't do small buttons and zips (takes ages) but they decided he could.
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Willow1976 wrote: »
    Thank you - have checked and they definitely took points for dressing. he can't do small buttons and zips (takes ages) but they decided he could.

If it takes him twice as long to do an activity because of his disability, then he should be assessed as not being able to to this in a reasonable time period and points should be awarded.

From page 78 od the assessors guide:
    "In a reasonable time period
    2.2.20 Reasonable time period means no more than twice as long as the
    maximum period that a non-disabled person would normally take to
    complete that activity.

2.2.21 The following situations highlight examples where an individual may
    be considered unable to complete a descriptor in a reasonable time
    period due to their approach or the impact their health condition or
    impairment has on them:
    • An individual who becomes breathless and exhausted whilst
    washing and dressing, and needs two hours to complete these
    tasks
    • An individual who is physically capable of preparing a meal but
    whose need for formalised ritual means they take all morning to
    prepare breakfast.
    • Someone who, as a result of their health condition, has
    obsessive ideas around cleanliness and takes considerably
    prolonged periods of time to complete activities..........

The Benefits & Work site has a good guide on appeals:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/
    Membership costs c.£20 per year and gets access to their guides.
    If you are going to challenge the award, it is worth considering.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I also have advanced RP and am currently awaiting a decision from my transfer from DLA to Pip.

Because of that I have no useful information to pass on regarding benefits but just wanted to ask if he has considered applying for a guide dog?

It would do wonders for his confidence as well as allow him a degree of Independence. I have had my dog for 2 years and can't begin to tell you the difference she has made to my life/B]
  • Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    Willow1976 wrote: »
    Maybe they assumed that he could have obtained an aid that would reduce that difficultly?
  • Alice_Holt
    Alice_Holt Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Danday wrote: »
    Maybe they assumed that he could have obtained an aid that would reduce that difficultly?

In which case he should have been awarded 2 points for needing an aid.

6. Dressing and undressing.
    a. Can dress and undress unaided. 0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress. 2 points.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

"Posters seeking advice in this forum need to bear in mind that this is a public site on which anyone can post. You can't assume information is trustworthy, indeed some posters are known to disrupt, post disinformation, and tell tall stories.
    The MSE forum team do not moderate this forum.

I would caution forumites to be wary of any advice supplied that doesn't contain a link to an authoritative site. Such sites include adviceguide, entitled to, turn2us, revenuebenefits, gov..uk.
    Accredited benefit advice is available from local advice agencies such as Citizens Advice.

Please don't take horror stories about the benefit process, assessments, appeals etc at face value. There are posters on here who whose aim seems to be to alarm, frighten, and generally dissuade OP's from pursuing sensible actions to claim / regain the right benefits.

Harmful and misleading posters are easily identified by the reaction to their posts
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    In which case he should have been awarded 2 points for needing an aid.

6. Dressing and undressing.
    a. Can dress and undress unaided. 0 points.
    b. Needs to use an aid or appliance to be able to dress or undress. 2 points.

https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

I saw that too but really could not be bothered to respond, I just report, report and report now. For what good it does.
  • Nannytone
    Nannytone Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I have RP 2 and if that is his only disability that I think he would struggle getting anyone to believe that he has trouble doing buttons and zips.

The dressing and undressing descriptor would be more obviously met by needing help determining colour and cleanliness of clothes. Also suitability of clothing may be an issue. I would think that most people could do a button up or a zip up with their eyes closed. this is no different from a blind person/B]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure