20+ tips on buying a used car guide

Hi!

This is the discussion thread for the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks folks,

Comments

• davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have a question the figures for the cheapest prices in (1) is that referring to buying them new or second hand? If new what are the second hand prices?
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2015 at 12:12PM
    davholla wrote: »
    I have a question the figures for the cheapest prices in (1) is that referring to buying them new or second hand? If new what are the second hand prices?

It has to be new. How could you calculate depreciation, for instance, for a used car, which could have cost anything from £100 upwards?

So without knowing the depreciation element of the quoted monthly cost the figures supplied are pretty meaningless for a used buy.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Hmm, the pluses and minuses in section 9 look wrong.

eg the fact that diesel cars often have lower VED than petrols is a minus point for both.
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • davholla
    davholla Posts: 523 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    It has to be new. How could you calculate depreciation, for instance, for a used car, which could have cost anything from £100 upwards?

So without knowing the depreciation element of the quoted monthly cost the figures supplied are pretty meaningless for a used buy.
    That is what I thought as well but wanted to check.
  • Sorry to bump an old thread, however was looking at point 15 saying that even if you pay a set amount on a credit card but take out an HP agreement you're not covered by Section 75. It wasn't clear as to why so is anyone able to explain this for me please?
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Sorry to bump an old thread, however was looking at point 15 saying that even if you pay a set amount on a credit card but take out an HP agreement you're not covered by Section 75. It wasn't clear as to why so is anyone able to explain this for me please?

It's beCause hire purchase means that you don't own the car, you are effectively renting or leasing it until you make the final payment.

As you haven't bought it then you can't be covered, this doesn't mean that you aren't covered by other legislation should you have defects or faults.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    sanu999 wrote: »
    Hi good morning everyone..

I am going to buy a nissan qashqai and found a car in bristol street motors (n connecta 2016 / 5k miles/ demo car) for 17k. They agreed to give me 50% as 0% finance over 60 months (and 50% and desposit). The salesman asking me to pay 50% deposit before i coming in to collect the car. Is it unusual? I am paying the money using my debit card (paid £100 deposit from my credit card). Any of you have any kind of experience like this?

What has this got to do with the guide?
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yes its very unusual for a salesman to ask you to pay for something that you want to buy, what a silly idea. I cannot see how that will work.

I want that car, what do you mean i have to pay for it?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Rain Shadow's post from 6 Nov 2015 is still wrong, e.g.,
    Diesel, bad point: Vehicle excise duty is cheaper on diesel cars
    Diesel, bad point: Commands higher resale values than equivalent petrol models

except this is now point 10 rather than point 9 in the page
  • bill_the_bus
    bill_the_bus Posts: 495 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Looking to replace our car and curious how the warranty of a pre reg car fares against a new car or a 12 month old car. Have spoken to dealers over the last few months and have different answers even from the same brand. Ford seems to be straight forward as in you get the remainder of the warranty up to the 3 years but interesting chat with a Kia dealer suggests the pre reg would be classed as not new and warranty on used car is not the same as a new car. I thought it would be the same 7 year warranty, less the registration or used period but they tell me a used (or pre reg) car warranty is not as comprehensive as a new car warranty. Not sure whether he was just trying to get a sale but had the opposite effect and we walked away.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure