PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2018 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    £45.58 spent today, £45 at the market, which is us just about stocked up with meat, cheese, bread, fresh fruit & veg for the week, and 58p on some reduced bananas from the local supermarket, which I had to enter on another errand, totally non-grocery-related. Couldn't resist a large hand of lovely fresh 'nanas at that price; will make banana custard for a pudding at some point.
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • cat4772
    cat4772 Posts: 2,467 Forumite
    Returning... after a few years.

My grocery budget, including a week’s holiday (meals out etc) will be £600 this month.
    This includes lunches, breakfasts, dinners, snacks, school lunches etc.
    This also includes household items such as laundry detergent, toilet rolls, etc.

Whatever I don’t spend will go towards my soon to be large visa bill.

Cat.x
    DFW Nerd Club #545 Dealing With Our Debt
    :onever attribute anything to malice which can be adequately explained by stupidity, [paranoia or ignorance] - ZTD&[cat]
    :othe thing about unwritten laws is that everyone has to agree to them before they can work - *louise*

March GC £113.53 / £325
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,842
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,
    Budgets updated to here :)
    Good luck all,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,652
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 April 2018 at 8:05PM
    And another £1 added today, whilst on a re-stocking mission at the car-boot section of the market. One of my favourite greengrocery stallholders has been forced by health issues to give up, so I invested one last pound in a massive bag of vegetables, which, although not strictly needed, certainly won't go to waste.
    Angie - GC March 24 24 £486.13/£500: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,002
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Budgets updated to here :)
    Good luck all,
    Coxy

Thanks Coxy!

First spend for April today: £8.24 at MrT’s, of which £4 was coffee - the 300g Tesco Gold Freeze-Dried Coffee refill. I think it’s the cheapest way to buy a decent instant coffee. Life is too short to drink pot scrapings (but I’ve done so when broke).

While in MrT’s, I was surprised to see that they aren’t open tomorrow. Ours is a huge “Extra”, open 24:7. I knew they were closed on Christmas Day but didn’t realise that they also closed on Easter Day.

Today brings my spend to £8.24/£120.00.

Happy Chocolate Festival everyone!

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Now up to £58. Need to reign in my spending.

What’s triggering the spending? Is it “first of the month” excitement/relief of having money again to spend?
  • Itisme_2
    Itisme_2 Posts: 152
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Target of £250 please.
  • selloptape
    selloptape Posts: 632
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    £300

Hi there - please pop me down for £300 for April. Slightly more than I spent in March but I've got guests for part of the month and my son will be at home more this month (which is lovely but he eats a lot of snacks...)

Good luck everyone x
  • Need2bthrifty
    Need2bthrifty Posts: 1,450
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 1 April 2018 at 2:22PM
    Coxy, if you please I!!!8217;m in again this month and will up the budget this time to £80.00, that's for food & household stuff for one.

I!!!8217;m getting low on store cupboard staples and although I buy some frozen fish I haven!!!8217;t had smoked fish for a while and prefer to get the undyed stuff from the fishmongers.

It!!!8217;s also been a while since I treated myself to some meat from the butcher shop, so I!!!8217;ll eat out of the freezer for a week then top up on those.

The plan for main meals so far =
    Sun - Prawn Salad, sweet potato wedges.
    Mon - Turkey & Quinoa Loaf, peperonata, garlic bread slice.
    Tues - Leek & Mushroom Lasagne, broccoli & broad beans.
    Wed - Stewed Liver, mashed pots and carrots.
    Thurs - Salmon Fishcakes, mustard sauce, broccoli.
    Fri - Chicken Curry, naan, salad.
    Sat - Spanakopita Triangles, salad.
  • Hi
    Can I join in please? I used to do this regularly but have been so busy over past 18 months with work, illness and general life crap ive not been as money saving as id like to be!! my average food/household shopping spend has been around £300-350 a month, which for 4 adults is rather a lot ..
    so im aiming to keep it to £300 for this month - my month is 29th march to 26th April

Good luck everyone!
    thanks to all who keep these threads going!

:)
    wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills