Plusnet contract renewal woes

The last time my contract for ADSL with Plusnet was due to expire, I got an email from them reminding me of that and offering a renewal link. Similar to what happens for other ISPs, for electric/gas/insurance and all sorts of things.

I have all the emails from Plusnet since that time but I've just noticed that they have been taking an extra £8 or so out of my bank account for the last two months and that the contract had expired then. This time, they gave me no notice. (I've checked spam etc.)

I've just spoken to them via online chat and was told that this is normal. The chat was horrendous, unlike on previous occasions, and I am unsure whether I was dealing with an idiot or if in fact this is some new system they have introduced that is buried away in some small print. I can't phone them because of profound deafness but, obviously, I am unhappy.

Has anyone else experienced this? The service seems to be appalling where once it was good and I am going to be moving elsewhere. Thanks.

Comments

• mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Perfectly normal, and quite common across ISPs. The same as with mobile contracts. It's down to the consumer to make sure they know when any relevant offers are finishing.

The contract doesn't expire, it just finishes it's minimum term and moves onto the price that you agreed it would at the start.
  • Wow. It didn't happen with Sky or BT or TalkTalk. It didn't happen with EE when I had a mobile contract with them, and it didn't happen with Plusnet themselves when it last came up for renewal/expiry. And I work in IT and it doesn't happen to any of the customers that I've asked thus far. So "quite common" might just be overstating it?
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I've never had notice (O2, Sky, PlusNet) and have always had to check bills to find the start date, then confirm by phone when there was doubt.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Agree with teddysmum - I've never had any communication from an ISP when a minimum term deal ends (or a Sky TV deal)
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I certainly had an email from Origin when my 18 month contract was coming to an end, asking me if I would like to renew at the same price for a further 18 months (which I did!).
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sitush wrote: »
    So "quite common" might just be overstating it?

Possibly not. I'm in the never had notice club too.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I had a Plusnet email earlier in the year when the line rental (paid 12months) in advance was about to run out, but not for their broadband/phone calls bit of the contract which was on a different date.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    sitush wrote: »
    So "quite common" might just be overstating it?

Nope. It's quite common. Some may every say very common.

I never had an email from Sky to say my offer was coming to an end when I had BB with them, and the same with BT.

Mobile phones are totally different to LR/BB, but if you want to include them then you just need to have a quick look through the mobile section of the forum to find out the operators also don't do this. Numerous threads when people are moaning 'my contract ended and I'm still paying for my 'handset' when I could get a cheaper SIMO contract, why didn't they tell me!' etc etc.
  • Terry98
    Terry98 Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I can accept some suppliers do not tell you when the contract is coming to an end but surely all suppliers should give you easy access to your contract end date and the terms of the contract?

I have had online accounts with both BT and Talktalk and found it impossible to get any contract information without contacting them.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Terry98 wrote: »
    I can accept some suppliers do not tell you when the contract is coming to an end but surely all suppliers should give you easy access to your contract end date and the terms of the contract?
    But broadband contracts don't end unless you cancel them. It is only the minimum term that ends. Surely you can log onto the account and find the start date? Alternatively you could look at the letter/email you will have received when you signed up stating when the service will start. Do you not keep those?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure