Marriage Allowance

Comments

• Thank you, shall adjust my pension contributions soon. I wish I did it last year and put more in.
  • shilts
    shilts Posts: 78 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Unfortunately my mother in law passed away at the end of March . Having spoken to my father in law it turns out that she was only receiving about £80 a week pension . As my father in law was paying tax on his pensions it occurred to me that it might be possible for him to transfer some of her unused tax allowance for past years . Can anyone please tell me whether this is possible for him to do ? Also , if it is possible can it be done for past years without obviously claiming for this current tax year , many thanks ?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    2) Additional contributions to your pension will reduce your taxable income

No, they'll increase his basic-rate-band.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Another update to MSE's Marriage Allowance article and the statement "One of you needs to be a non-taxpayer", is still there.

When will this zombie untruth be laid to rest?

How about it, MSE Sam?
  • Consumerist
    Consumerist Posts: 6,310 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    shilts wrote: »
    Unfortunately my mother in law passed away at the end of March . Having spoken to my father in law it turns out that she was only receiving about £80 a week pension . As my father in law was paying tax on his pensions it occurred to me that it might be possible for him to transfer some of her unused tax allowance for past years . Can anyone please tell me whether this is possible for him to do ? Also , if it is possible can it be done for past years without obviously claiming for this current tax year , many thanks ?
    From the <Low Incomes Tax Reform Group>
    Note that if you did not claim the marriage allowance before their death, you can still claim it after the death for any year in which you were married or in a civil partnership with each other, provided that you do so within four years of the end of the relevant tax year.
    >:)Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
  • Hi folks,

Just a heads up. If you start working contact them straight away to cancel the transfer. I had totally forgot i was doing the transfer and my PA was only 10350 and ive been working for a tax year now and been paying more tax than i needed to !!!128533;.. only just realised as i noticed my tax code was wrong as i knew it should have been 1150L but it was 1035N.

Just wanted to let you all know and not to make the same mistake as me.

Have a lovely night.
    Elly !!!9786;
  • shilts
    shilts Posts: 78 Forumite
    Thanks for your help !!!55357;!!!56397;
  • Ellydryburgh86

Interesting. Are you getting the extra tax back for last year or just a new tax code (1185L?) for the current tax year?
  • Retro_Bunny
    Retro_Bunny Posts: 650 Forumite
    polymaff wrote: »
    Another update to MSE's Marriage Allowance article and the statement "One of you needs to be a non-taxpayer", is still there.

When will this zombie untruth be laid to rest?

How about it, MSE Sam?

Please can you expand on this?

We've never claimed as my wife earns £12024 a year.
    However she has deductions from her pay pre-tax, which bring her taxable earnings down to around £11,400, hence she doesn't pay income tax at all.

Albeit for a smaller benefit than most, are we eligible to apply?
    --- Warning: Grumpy Old Man in Training ---
  • shilts

As my father in law was paying tax on his pensions it occurred to me that it might be possible for him to transfer some of her unused tax allowance for past years . Can anyone please tell me whether this is possible for him to do ? Also , if it is possible can it be done for past years without obviously claiming for this current tax year

The last budget changed thinks so an application can be made even after one of the couple had died.

He needs to be careful how it is done though. He cannot apply as that would leave him with a tax bill (the person applying can only ever pay the same or more tax, never less).

What he needs to do is apply on behalf of your late MIL. He then receives the benefit of the Marriage Allowance tax reduction.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback