BR and household income to high?

Options
So BR is the option for me.
Due to my mental health I will be jobless in circa 4 weeks & submitting my BR - 30k debt.

All debts aren’t in my name. Literally 0 assets no car no nothing.

My question is;

I’m living in a house with 5 other adults with a total combined income of over £160,000 per year. Will their income mean the OR can Impose an IPA on me if I am living there rest free & jobless?
If I was to start working part time, £500 a month. Would then need to pay rent of £250 & general living costs for the other £250. As the other 5 adults earn quite a lot between them would the OR say food for like £120 was to expensive, as they would expect the 5 other adults to “help me” during my BR - they earn more so pay more?!

I’ve read on here that someone who went BR who earned circa £600 a month was almost in “surplus” due to the fact he was living with “well off” people. So therefore it was reasonably expecting of them to pay more for food and other costs. Compared to living with 5 people who earn min wage?

Any truth in this or is it just rubbish?

Comments

• debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 September 2018 at 8:58PM
    Options
    Hi,

If you will have nil income then you will have no IPA.

Considering others who may live in the same accommodation as you then unless one of them is your partner then they are irrelevant.

If living with parents or in a shared house you would contribute in a reasonable manner to rent / board and other household costs plus food. It needs to be reasonable and factual. Of course if you have no / little money you can't contribute.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • Years_of_debt
    Options
    Thank you,

Just to clarify partner would mean legally, by marriage?
  • debt_doctor
    Options
    Thank you,

Just to clarify partner would mean legally, by marriage?

No, a much wider definition. A person whom you have a relationship with and live together.

DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Years of debt,

All debts aren’t in my name. Literally 0 assets no car no nothing.

I appreciate that the main crux of your question is in relation to an IPA. However, I would like to point out that when you go bankrupt, only the debts that are in your name will be included. If someone else has taken on credit for you, and you are supposed to pay them back, then when you go bankrupt your liability to repay the individual is written off, and the person who took on the credit, still owes the bank.

However, if you mean that other people are named on the debt, then anything in joint names - or where someone has acted as guarantor - would mean your liability is ended, but the other person still owes 100% of the debt (under joint and several liability). Not sure if this affects your total debt level, but worth noting.

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    Bankruptcy includes contingent liabilities, and being a guarantor is one so your guarantor who has gone bankrupt is no longer liable and cannot be chased
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure