Apparently I've had PPI but had no idea & need some help please:)

Howdy
After a colleague of mine recently won some PPI claims themselves I decided to have a go, but to be honest I thought I was wasting my time as I've never had any as my dad was a bank manager and always told me not to bother as I had a good job & they would help out if needed.
So I gets on my laptop last week and I go through all the companies I can remember having credit with over the last 20 or so years and I fully expected nothing back.
Yesterday I got 3 letters, 2 from Lloyds saying I'd had MPPI on 2 separate mortgages and 1 from Halifax saying I had PPI. I also got 3 emails from MBNA saying I had PPI with them to (all same account number but from different addresses)
So here's my dilemma. On the claim forms there are lots of questions about my finances etc (you'll all know all this as it appears standard on all of them). My home was flooded in 2015 when Storm Desmond did it's worth and I lost all paperwork so I have no idea when these were taken out and for how long or how much etc I genuinely had no idea I had ever taken it out and I never would have given the choice. Should I ring the companies and ask for more details on the accounts/cards these are attached to and tell them I have no evidence and I had no idea, or is it better not to show my hand and be vague on the claim forms?
Any advice will be gratefully received :-)

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Surely the banks will have details stored, depends how old the claims are. Maybe they are asking for these details so its easier to trace your records.
  • It's not poker. Your hand is your evidence so you need to be prepared to show it.

If you need more information to help recollect what your circumstances were, ask them.
  • It's not poker. Your hand is your evidence so you need to be prepared to show it.

If you need more information to help recollect what your circumstances were, ask them.

Thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorrow and ask for more details
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,631
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Credit card PPI is worth complaining about as it was often miss-sold and good employment benefits can mean a win. That said, if you had a good job, were you not paying off the bill in full every month? If so you can have PPI but never pay any.

MPPI you can complain but explain to fail and see how it goes. A mortgage is a 25 year debt secured on your home which you could lose if you didn't pay it and relying on parents to pay it if you lost your job is rarely accepted as a valid complaint reason - difficult for anyone to absorb a monthly mortgage payment/bills etc for another person and still lead a comfortable life.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,423
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    If they don't have info on the phone you can send a SAR. It's free now.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • Thanks all, I have spoken to Lloyds and Halifax and they gave me the details that I needed si I'll fill the forms in tonight
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure