Tax Free Gov childcare rules

Dear all,
Point for clarification needed. Can I use the Gov scheme for tax efficient payment contributions towards our child care as my employer won't offer a voucher scheme, if I meet all the Gov.uk criteria for the help of (£2K/yr/child) but my partner uses the voucher scheme max £243/m as their contribution? The rules state both schemes can't be used, but I would only be using one scheme and my partner the other. We don't want to risk the vouchers being closed. Is this within the rules?Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Dear all,
    Point for clarification needed. Can I use the Gov scheme for tax efficient payment contributions towards our child care as my employer won't offer a voucher scheme, if I meet all the Gov.uk criteria for the help of (£2K/yr/child) but my partner uses the voucher scheme max £243/m as their contribution? The rules state both schemes can't be used, but I would only be using one scheme and my partner the other. We don't want to risk the vouchers being closed. Is this within the rules?Thank you.

No, the family can't be using both
  • I was hoping the Gov rules applied to an individual, thus I couldn't use both schemes. Previously both of us could use their tax allowance for vouchers doubling the £243/m. But as vouchers are only available to one of us now (employer claims it was too costly to administer the scheme) we'll loose out. We don't really want to ditch vouchers but if we did, could both of us apply to the Gov scheme, as we're well inside the earnings limit? Right now we pay most of our child care fees out of income that's already taxed. I appreciate your input.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure