I wish to have a TV without a licence...

Comments

• I agree with you about the poor quality of terrestrial tv as regards the commercial channels. But I think the bbc is quality and well worth the money with the bonus of no adverts.
    However, you need to remove areil leads from your lounge and any bbc iPlayer Aps you have.
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Yawn ! yet another BBC basher at work on here
    .What "poorly disguised BBC propaganda " is upsetting you ? I ve not noticed anything .
    Odd how the worlds best broadcaster and the UK s largest viewing figures by a country mile gets so much stick on here from recently joined forum users..

Can we have a truce on here and try and leave Auntie alone.
    If you really want to save 40 p a day can you do it without BBC bashing please at the same time and enjoy your Americana on Netflix at £80 a year ..
    I ve personally just enjoyed on BBC2 since 6 pm, Eggheads, The Repair Shop, and a brilliant Mastermind final.and will continue with Gardeners World and then Pilgrimage .The Road to Santiago , which I will be doing myself in a few months.
    Worlds most popular TV channel is.......BBC News !

Yes can we please? But jumping in with an attack on the OP straight away isn't the way to go. Try answering the question as you are the "expert".

Who cares what you personally enjoy. The OP doesn't want to fund or watch the BBC for whatever reason, get over yourself.
    You will not be able to keep up the legally licence free guff and will soon have had enough of catch- up or awful Netflix .

And there we have it. :rotfl:

(There is actually some very good stuff on Netflix and Amazon Prime.
    Have you had you free trial of Prime to watch Grand Tour yet? Don't forget to cancel in time so you're not charged and actually help to finance what you watch!)
  • HWW
    HWW Posts: 103 Forumite
    All clear evidence, that Sock-puppet: HM has a "Pitch" persona, of being a simple meter reader, but is in fact an employee of the BBC/Capita PR dept - Just as MIKW & ASH_M1 & more, are on Digital spy.

You are well & truly rumbled by your own "Pitch"
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2018 at 11:25AM
    Thank You Richard, I thought that the Amazon Prime deal did nt allow you to cancel so I will take them up on the free trial solely to watch The Grand Tour.
    I dont think I "attacked " the OP, just politely asked if he could mention what "propaganda " that the BBC dish up as a "given " ( apart from their remain bias )
    I have Netflix, a friend gave me his password, he s allowed a few others to access it he says, and to be honest I m struggling to find anything which suits me. I don`t like films or most American stuff, the only thing I like so far is the old Stewart Lee progs..
    If all my main TV was just that lot then if I did nt have a licence then I would be doing what most of the other LLF mob are doing and sneakily plugging the brown aerial lead back in.I reckon its a bit like turning vegetarian, its not long till you re yearning for a bacon sandwich and cave in

Thanks HWW I ll check out my mates on Digital Spy, meanwhile I think you should visit a doctor and ask for something to cure paranoia, but that seems to be a typical TVLR ailment .
    Most of them have had years and years of worrying about Capita peering through their lounge windows and nabbing them bang to rights so they can be hyper suspicious.
    I m coming back on TVLR soon with a new identity, this time I won`t be too easy to spot and hopefully I will last longer than 3 posts before Cornucopia boots me off.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 31 March 2018 at 12:08PM
    I dont think I "attacked " the OP, just politely asked if he could mention what "propaganda " that the BBC dish up as a "given " ( apart from their remain bias )
    The MSE bar on that kind of thing is fairly low - we are here (in most areas of the forum) to help each other. If you are not doing that then you aren't keeping to the spirit of the forum.

Isn't "remain bias" a form of propaganda?
    I don`t like films or most American stuff...
    So... what you're trying to tell us is that you want to be able to tell other people what they should be watching whilst you have atypical tastes yourself? Was "American stuff" okay, back in the days when the BBC showed a lot of it?

If all my main TV was just that lot then if I did nt have a licence then I would be doing what most of the other LLF mob are doing and sneakily plugging the brown aerial lead back in.I reckon its a bit like turning vegetarian, its not long till you re yearning for a bacon sandwich and cave in
    Okay, so since you've now mentioned your own low standards, can you stop judging other people against them? I know people who have been without TV Licences for decades, and when they say they are within the law, I totally believe them.

The term "LLF" belongs to the community, and it means something specific: households who do not, as a question of fact, need a TV Licence. There's no point in you pretending that it means anything else, because the term was created by the community, for the community, and the community owns it and determines its meaning. Specifically, it doesn't mean someone who is evading the Licence, even just for a sneaky peak at Eastenders.

Thanks HWW I ll check out my mates on Digital Spy, meanwhile I think you should visit a doctor and ask for something to cure paranoia, but that seems to be a typical TVLR ailment .
    HWW and I differ somewhat on this (but I respect his view). He thinks that the half-dozen or so loudest voices on social media forums that passionately defend the Licence regime, and in connection with that, the BBC, are somehow paid to do that. I'm not so sure, not least because the "you must work for them" meme is such a cliche of social media.

My view is that the are not paid, and have some other impetus (to do with misplaced loyalty, fear of change, misunderstanding of the nature of multiple views on social media, misunderstanding of the difference between fact and opinion... etc. etc.)

In other words, the tiny numbers involved are... well... tiny. So much so that if the BBC did have to rely on those people (as the people seem to think they do), then they would be scuppered. Not to mention that some of their views and the way they present them are probably doing more harm than good.
    Most of them have had years and years of worrying about Capita peering through their lounge windows and nabbing them bang to rights so they can be hyper suspicious.
    Well, yes (with the caveat that Capita are not fussy about whether the people they prosecute have actually broken the law or not). When "they" say they are out to get you, and they say it quite openly, it doesn't really matter whether you are paranoid or not.

I'm fortunate in not receiving TVL's montly threats, but I can imagine from reading them that if you didn't know that they were essentially a hoax, they could be quite scary.

I m coming back on TVLR soon with a new identity, this time I won`t be too easy to spot and hopefully I will last longer than 3 posts before Cornucopia boots me off.
    I didn't "boot you off" - there were plenty of others vying for that particular honour. However, that forum does what it says on the tin, and if you are not there to resist the Licence, there is no other legitimate reason to be there. Nevertheless that "resistance" comes in various flavours, and it is certainly not a one-dogma forum.

I'd be happy enough to tolerate a range of opinions (there) as long as people were not deliberately trying to cause trouble. However, the consensus is that it should stay true to its roots and keep the nay-sayers off. A big part of the rationale for that is that the pro-BBC position on Licence enforcement doesn't make sense against the prevailing law and culture of the UK, and therefore the "nay-saying" position is meaningless, or at least highly speculative.
  • HWW
    edited 31 March 2018 at 5:32PM
    Thank You Richard, I thought that the Amazon Prime deal did nt allow you to cancel so I will take them up on the free trial solely to watch The Grand Tour.
    I have Netflix, a friend gave me his password, he s allowed a few others to access it he says, and to be honest I m struggling to find anything which suits me. I don`t like films or most American stuff, the only thing I like so far is the old Stewart Lee progs..

Sock puppets (shared identity's on a shift basis) are commonplace on Forums, mainly to defend big companies & corporations - which is what you spend much of your postings on here doing, defending the BBC & Crapita. - a simple meter reader, who pops a few bits of TVL junk mail through letterboxes now & then, would not have such strong feelings.
    Nothing Paranoid in the assumption that your identity may be one of them.

You have said you would welcome Subscription for the BBC, rather than the ridicules outdated Licence. On that one, we are agreed if it is still true.
    As Cornucopia has pointed out rightly, we do not agree on a few points - perhaps because we are NOT Sock puppets is the reason. We do both sing from Different Hymn sheets, One Hymn: "Forty pence a day" - is not in any of our prayers though, but it is in the Majority of suspected BBC Sock puppets prayers :)

I can tell you, if you join TVLR again, & make sense & not war as you did last time, Accusing other FM's of paranoia would not be a good idea, but otherwise you would perhaps, be welcome. I could think exactly the same about yourself BTW, with your blind acceptance of all things BBC, but I have not - I prefer to believe you are doing it, because you are paid to do it - yes I may be wrong, it's rather like the Salisbury poisoning, all available evidence points towards Russian Gov involvement, but not quite enough to be 100% certain.....

TVLR does not encourage law breaking, but does point out ways to be LLF & watch some Vision, via a TV set. DVDs & Catch-up - did you spot the page where CURRENT goon activity is highlighted? (EG Goons are in Cherry Hinton, Cambridge today) Which probably would be illegal & certainly not a good idea for a forum.

NO because there is not one.

There is of course, plenty of info for LLF Householders Harassed by door step Salesmen at the door, trying to sell Licenses they do not need.
    http://www.tvlicenceresistance.info/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9d39d4e29bf70e8b156bb3612289d425;wwwRedirect
  • RichardD1970
    RichardD1970 Posts: 3,795 Forumite

Really? So you didn't post this a few months ago?
    I use Amazon a lot , they are my online trader of choice .If they offer a 30 day free trial then that is all I want. 30 days will get me half a dozen episodes of The Grand Tour for free.

Oh dear, more proof of HWW's theory???

:rotfl::rotfl:

Be careful (or you mate should) with sharing a Netflix account, according to their CEO,
    "We expect that Netflix is a household level purchase, and that sharing with members of the household is a reasonable thing to do," he said.

"When the kids go off to college, are they going to use that login?

"Well, that's probably OK, but when the kids go off and form their own household, they want the control of having their own account, so eventually that turns into a new revenue stream for us there as well."

"The terms of use is sharing within the household and that's our expectation,"

So more content that you don't legitimately have access to that you are watching.

It gets better and better.

:rotfl::rotfl:
  • HWW
    Thanks for finding that RichardD19, it's what happens when Logons are shared - & if the Puppets stray from their Hymn sheet.
    I've caught Mikw on Digital spy out on several occasions in the past with those sort of slips.....
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 31 March 2018 at 6:27PM
    I ve seen the first series of The Grand Tour, from the friend who brings it round on a dongle so I ve not bothered messing around begging a free 30 days from amazon as of yet.
    Can only do it once I would have thought .
    You have to wait for the full new series to load and become available so I m about ready for the second series now. I was nt aware of any illegality in sharing Netflix outside the same household TBH.
    Does nt the CEO say we "expect " it to be shared within the same household ?
    If I m not allowed to access it I l dump it then.Theres nothing on it which really interests me.
    On further reading on account sharing it seems that Netflix say , in the CEO s words "I don`t think we are obsessed with enforcing compliance with a one household per account constraint , we see account sharing as a positive thing ".
    This is not in the same league as nicking the £150 a year from the BBC. Netflix are not bothered because they hope I will become so keen on it I ll buy it..no chance of that.Once I ve watched all the Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle once again I m done just about on there.
    Nice try Richard but you ve failed again !
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    . . . not in the same league as nicking the £150 a year [STRIKE]from the BBC[/STRIKE] from the green room drinks cupboard - FTFY
    not to mention all the unsavoury characters that the licence fee funds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure