Insurance Cancelled Because Of "Multiple Different Quotes"

Comments

• john432
    john432 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Out of interest, do these multiple quotes time out, so in a years time ie next renewal will it be clear?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    john432 wrote: »
    Out of interest, do these multiple quotes time out, so in a years time ie next renewal will it be clear?

They will be well and truly gone by then.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I always do my dummy quotes for the house next door in the name Smith, then clear the cookies when doing the real application, or do it at work. Simples.
  • john432
    john432 Posts: 163 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I wasn't aware also doing multi quotes can cause problems, any one else confirm they will expire over a period of time!
  • doodle-bug_2
    doodle-bug_2 Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perhaps the OP is called Smith and lives next door to you, worried jim!
  • kelevraz
    kelevraz Posts: 192 Forumite
    In short, whats happened to you is ridiculous

IF you have absolutely nothing to hide, then make a complaint and fight this. Doing 500 different quotes before eventually deciding upon which one you take is not illegal and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. If this is the case, you WILL win this complaint, get the cancellation revoked, and possibly end up getting a free or heavily discounted policy in the process.

Unless of course, you omitted something from the policy that was just cancelled, that you had originally put into one of the quotes (And should have stayed there) and then took out

e.g, you have a claim / conviction, and at some point during the process, you entered that information, looked at the prices, then decided to take it out, continue searching and not include it in the final quote.

The underwriter in this case has been lazy, they have seen you have done a ton of different quotes and automatically assumed you have something to hide. Its very possible for insurers to contact aggregator websites to see what 'exactly' you have been changing from quote to quote, its just a time consuming process - and they normally disappear after 30 days by the way. Aggregator quotes should only really be used to aid/prove that fraud has happened, its not meant to be the trigger for it

Like i said, if you have absolutely nothing to hide, and this is nothing more than a case of you doing a ton of different quotes for the sake of it (Which plenty of people do) you need to fight this. You've effectively been punished for fraud
  • Hastings_Direct_company_representative
    Hastings_Direct_company_representative Posts: 159 Organisation Representative
    I'm sorry to see that you've had such a negative experience with Hastings Direct. At times if you have run a number of quotes and they have each have differing information (i.e different occupations or different mileage amounts), it's possible that this could be viewed as quote manipulation especially if the quotes differ from the policy that was eventually purchased. I appreciate the frustration and I hope that the measures you've taken with regards to raising a complaint will get you a satisfactory response. You can also raise a complaint with Hastings as the broker by visiting: https://www.hastingsdirect.com/quotehisle/views/common/RequestForm.jsf?reason=feedback

~Connor
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Hastings Direct. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • RozJC
    RozJC Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    kelevraz wrote: »
    In short, whats happened to you is ridiculous

IF you have absolutely nothing to hide, then make a complaint and fight this. Doing 500 different quotes before eventually deciding upon which one you take is not illegal and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it at all. If this is the case, you WILL win this complaint, get the cancellation revoked, and possibly end up getting a free or heavily discounted policy in the process.

Unless of course, you omitted something from the policy that was just cancelled, that you had originally put into one of the quotes (And should have stayed there) and then took out

e.g, you have a claim / conviction, and at some point during the process, you entered that information, looked at the prices, then decided to take it out, continue searching and not include it in the final quote.

The underwriter in this case has been lazy, they have seen you have done a ton of different quotes and automatically assumed you have something to hide. Its very possible for insurers to contact aggregator websites to see what 'exactly' you have been changing from quote to quote, its just a time consuming process - and they normally disappear after 30 days by the way. Aggregator quotes should only really be used to aid/prove that fraud has happened, its not meant to be the trigger for it

Like i said, if you have absolutely nothing to hide, and this is nothing more than a case of you doing a ton of different quotes for the sake of it (Which plenty of people do) you need to fight this. You've effectively been punished for fraud

I assure you I have nothing to hide here. I have done nothing to warrant being called a fraud.
    I'm sorry to see that you've had such a negative experience with Hastings Direct. At times if you have run a number of quotes and they have each have differing information (i.e different occupations or different mileage amounts), it's possible that this could be viewed as quote manipulation especially if the quotes differ from the policy that was eventually purchased. I appreciate the frustration and I hope that the measures you've taken with regards to raising a complaint will get you a satisfactory response. You can also raise a complaint with Hastings as the broker by visiting: https://www.hastingsdirect.com/quotehisle/views/common/RequestForm.jsf?reason=feedback

~Connor

I did send them an email about it at the email but I have heard nothing back from them as of yet.

I will use this link you have provided and see if that bears any fruit.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    RozJC wrote: »
    Now, as far as I am aware, the only "different quotes" would have come from using different comparison websites.

Haven't the data protection laws just been tightened? If someone is passing on your personal details, this could be illegal.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Haven't the data protection laws just been tightened? If someone is passing on your personal details, this could be illegal.

How is it illegal for someone to input information about themselves to a company to get a quote?
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure