Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread part 2½

Comments

• izzeyb
    izzeyb Posts: 5,265 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Saversue wrote: »
    Thanks, yes, used to have them on old skin.

Not worked for me for a long time and I have still have the old skin, just less of it lol

Work fine for me on Chrome, Mozilla and Opera

• scamps1966
    scamps1966 Posts: 5,648 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    I came across this exercise suggested for seniors, to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy, so I thought I'd pass it on. The article suggested doing it three days a week. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side.

With a 5-lb. potato sack in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides, and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer.

After a couple of weeks, move up to 10-lb. potato sacks. Then 50-lb. potato sacks, and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 100-lb. potato sack in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute.

Once you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each sack.:D
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    mhoc wrote: »
    I have deep envy of everyones bargain stalls and shops this afternoon, even though technically I am not needing anything :)

Especially ground coffee which OH buys - mostly he buys it for work :(
    And the gingerbread candles, my own fault as they were still around at the start of April when we got home ...

We have though made it to Sainsburys today with the recycling. Mostly I was in search of shopimum freebies which our store does not stock but I live in hope.
    I did though get the free Primula cheese tubes for shopimum - good for going on the numerous free crackers type things we got last month.

Sainsburys are making a huge effort to promote their own brand items now at lower prices - they are actually making a very good effort so if anyone normally avoids Sainsburys then its worth another look see - every section has red lower priced SELS - off the top of my head I noticed on the cook in sauce section various curry and spiced type jars for 63p and pasta type sauces for 83p or similar - much lower than the branded versions. At first glance I wondered if they were RTC but it seems to be the new low prices.

For instance

Sainsburys have their own brand cat food tins in gravy - they have just rebranded their own cat food and they are part of the low price range. The packs of 6 tins are now £2.30 (were £2.50) so that's 0.38 per can - cheaper now than Aldi canned food which is/was 0.39p a tin - so a regular shopping list item has now gone from the Aldi list onto the Sainsburys list :eek:

Interesting. For ages the Value Peanut Butter was 65p in Tesco and Sainsbury and Asda, something like that anyway, then all of a sudden it went up to 90p in Sainsbury, so put that jar back and bought in Asda. Now it is 65p in Asda, 70p in Tesco and Sainsbury. I try to stock up in Asda but can't always get there, Sainsbury is generally more convenient than Tesco as there is a small one in a town I go to.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • pippo
    pippo Posts: 3,891 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Tinyshoes wrote: »
    CoS has processed my first ever cash back payment today :j

I will wear my Elite badge with pride now. ;)

Just over £20 in one month and all stuff I will use I think maybe not the Happy Downs :o

Well done, and that's the way to go, stuff you need/will use.

I had a :money: lightbulb moment
    when I realised that I didn't have to buy cheap sweets as fillers, but buy stuff I would use, like 1 onion, 1 carrot!

PS , I've looked and looked, but never found a Happy Down yet!
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Interesting. For ages the Value Peanut Butter was 65p in Tesco and Sainsbury and Asda, something like that anyway, then all of a sudden it went up to 90p in Sainsbury, so put that jar back and bought in Asda. Now it is 65p in Asda, 70p in Tesco and Sainsbury. I try to stock up in Asda but can't always get there, Sainsbury is generally more convenient than Tesco as there is a small one in a town I go to.

Yes I just had a look at mysupermarket and it said your peanut butter is 20% below its average price - a significant price change.

If this is typical across quite a range of products its well worth having another look at Sainsburys
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    pippo wrote: »
    Well done, and that's the way to go, stuff you need/will use.

I had a :money: lightbulb moment
    when I realised that I didn't have to buy cheap sweets as fillers, but buy stuff I would use, like 1 onion, 1 carrot!

PS , I've looked and looked, but never found a Happy Down yet!

In our small store its not on the section - its on an end fixture.
    I tend to screen shot the peculiar things I need so I've a picture so when I can track down staff we go on a treasure hunt for them :)
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • APG £6.75 :D Huge thanks!

15 items (8 different) on your receipt qualify for comparison Asda Tesco
    1x ASDA Mexican Style Micro Rice (250g) £0.59 £0.65
    1x ASDA Smart Price Baked Beans in Tomato Sauce (410g) £0.23 £0.24
    2x Ainsley Harriott Aromatic Thai Chicken & Lemongrass Cup Soup (69g) £2.00 £1.00
    1x ASDA Smart Price Batter Mix (128g) £0.15 N/A
    4x Ainsley Harriott Cream of Wild Mushroom Cup Soup (75g) £4.00 £2.00
    1x ASDA Smart Price Crunchy Peanut Butter (340g) £0.65 £0.70
    1x ASDA Smart Price Pasta Shapes (500g) £0.32 £0.30
    1x ASDA Smart Price Meatballs in Tomato Sauce (380g) £0.48 N/A
    4x Ainsley Harriott Szechuan Hot & Sour Cup Soup (60g) £4.00 £2.00
    1x ASDA Spreadable with Real Butter Light (500g) £2.10 £1.05
    Comparison total (compared products only) £13.89 £7.94
    Pandora's Little Sister 30/11/17 x
  • Saversue
    Saversue Posts: 1,918 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Scamps, which flavours of the Ainsley H soup did, you get, it's showing not available for Mulligatawny ,Veg Chowder and Broc & Stilton In T's .
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    mhoc wrote: »
    Yes I just had a look at mysupermarket and it said your peanut butter is 20% below its average price - a significant price change.

If this is typical across quite a range of products its well worth having another look at Sainsburys

Their T bags are still 50p for 40 though.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • zippydooda
    zippydooda Posts: 16,121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    used nearly £16 of apgs for this shop

quite disappointing the 3 x salmon did not compare to morrisons 3 for £10 as msm indicated. so shop cost me £1.41 after wombles and produced a £4.44 apg

Asda Morrisons
    3x Heinz Oxtail Soup (400g) £2.85 £1.80
    1x Heinz Mulligatawny Soup (400g) £0.95 £0.60
    3x ASDA 2 Salmon Fillets (240g) £10.20 N/A
    0.13x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Onion (order by number of onions or select kg) (per kg) £0.10 £0.09
    0.1x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (per kg) £0.06 £0.06
    3x Heinz Tomato & Basil Soup (400g) £2.85 £1.80
    1x Heinz Chicken Noodle Soup (400g) £0.95 £0.60
    0.13x ASDA Grower's Selection Loose Carrot (order by number of carrots or select kg) (per kg) £0.08 £0.07
    2x Heinz Cream of Tomato Soup (400g) £1.90 £1.20
    1x ASDA Tartare Sauce (160g) £0.75 £0.51
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family