New, widened driveway

Hi All,

Does the below seem a reasonable quote? Its to widen and lay block paving on a sloped driveway that is currently approx 34.88m squared. Once widened it should be 38.2m squared.

We need to widen the driveway to accommodate a second car.

Thanks for any advice on this.

-Huw

Widen the access point to the driveway by taking down approximately 1.5 m of the front wall and pier and re build the pier further across.

Excavate the whole of the existing driveway and the additional 1.5 m across.

Compact a scalping stone sub base to the whole area of the drive.

Mortar and concrete bed a retention paving product to the perimeter of the driveway that runs along the grass lawn.

Bed a chamfered paving stone to the entrance perimeter of the driveway similar to the neighbours driveway opposite.

Construct a herringbone pattern block paved driveway on a screed ed stone dust base.

The block paved driveway would be constructed using a clay block paved product with a contrasting colour paving to the perimeter.

Colours of your choice.

Construct the step in front of the porch door in a clay paving product in a similar design as the existing step.

Remove all waste material from site.

Total price calculated inclusive of all material and labour costs and all waste material removed from site -£3965

Comments

• Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Don't you normally have a membrane over the sub-base?
  • huwy123
    huwy123 Posts: 150 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I don't know!

A quick google suggests that its not needed but I am open to advice on this.
    http://www.pavingexpert.com/faqmembr.htm

Cheers,
    H
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,982 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    No mention of sanding, no mention of VAT
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• buglawton
    buglawton Posts: 9,235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I recently had a sloped block paving drive put in, same ball park price sq/m. My quote didn’t include the sand layer but it was done, I suppose too obvious to mention in quote. Find out if the builder has a proper stone cutting machine it’ll make the job faster and show he’s a pro. You really need to clarify the VAT part.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    Sorry to say but the quote reads as 100% pure boll--ks. It is so flawed, and so devoid of information, where does one start when questionning it?

Put another way it is either written by a rank amateur, or it is travelling contractors deliberately setting out to con you. If pushed for a definitive answer then my intuition is the latter.

Your choice here, but I would have nowt to do with the quote.
  • huwy123
    Thanks for all the responses.
    The price is ex-vat.
    I can also confirm 100% that the builder is not a “travelling contractor” :-)
  • Furts
    huwy123 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the responses.
    The price is ex-vat.
    I can also confirm 100% that the builder is not a “travelling contractor” :-)

OK but I reiterate as loud and clear as I can. The quote is 100% pure boll--cks. How can anybody expect a half decent job when they are issued with that?
  • huwy123
    Cheers.

I'll speak to the builder and ask some probing questions (such as whether he has a stone cutting machine etc).
  • Furts
    Ponder a couple of points ... the drive is being widened. Where do you stand with Planning and porosity/drainge?

Where do you stand with crossovers and access to the highway?

The wall is being rebuilt .. what bricks, bond, mortar pointing, mix, foundations, frost resistance ...?

The drive is being dug out ... to what depth and what material is going back in ? Compacted how, and in what layers?

Where are your levels, how are you achieving falls, what is the drainage detail ...?

"A retention paving product...!" What the boll--ks does that mean? A piece of paper, some manky old stone .. come on somebody is having a laugh here.

"Similar to the neighbours opposite..." Another piece of pure boll--ks. What is "Similar" and what if the neighbours is already wrong. Do you blindly repeat mistakes?

Clay paviors...why? And what colour choice are you expecting when it is clay?

Step to the front door... where do you stand with the ethos of Part M of the Buildings Regulations?

Enough said. You get the idea. This quote is 100% pure boll--ks!
  • huwy123
    Thanks I can see I have plenty of things to consider!
    Appreciate the input.
    H
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family