Reigning it in!

Comments

• Good luck with the debt busting!

TMD

Thank you!

Yesterday was a NSD :j I have also signed up for September's NSD challenge for 10 NSD's which will be either side of my holiday. Hoping this will keep me motivated!

Will need to get petrol today and a new notebook for work (small company - have to buy my own stationary!) so not a NSD. I am taking my own lunch to work though :) the left over lasagna mince with some cheese on top.

I have decided to set mini goals for CC2 - the one I still spend on as it is a reward credit card. I am hoping by the end of September, after I have paid as much as I can off it on pay day, to have £1,300 on it. That is roughly the equivalent of spending £200 on it for the month and paying £400 off it. If I can spend less I would be happy but will be putting some money on it on the UK sides of journey (food and petrol stops) but will be sensible and hopefully this extra spending can come out of the holiday fund, but need to prioritise CC3 :eek: will is halifax's clarity card that needs to be paid off in the same month. It is going to be tight but I think we will be able to do this as we are not going to go mad like we usually do! I can always use some emergency savings if needed. I feel very focused!
    01.05.2019 - Re-Mortgage - £142,000 :eek::eek::eek: Total overpaid to date: £15,584.33.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • So definitely not a NSD for me. I got petrol for £25 and then went to Sainsbury's...got a notepad and a crossword book for the OH's gran. I also got 4 boxes of cereal bars for £4 for the holiday - we should be fine to have a snack of 1 a day so we don't spurge on expensive snacks in europe! I also bought a set of baking trays that are heavy duty - half price and a few other bits for holiday (mints for car etc). Our trays are going rusty and I was thinking about getting some anyway. Set of 3 was £10.50...when I got home there was only 2!!! Going to take them back tomorrow but I hope they believe me!! So total is £25 on petrol and £27 in Sainsburys. Hoping for a NSD tomorrow :)
    01.05.2019 - Re-Mortgage - £142,000 :eek::eek::eek: Total overpaid to date: £15,584.33.
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • Sainsbury's let me exchange the baking tray set :T The third baking tray is flat and isn't really attached to other 2 and they said they have had a lot of problems with them coming loose so that is good! Managed a NSD today too :) literally walked in to the customer service desk and then straight back out so couldn't get sucked in to buying something I didn't need. I was going to buy green beans to go with the fish from the freezer today but popped in to parents yesterday and my Mom picked me some of her runner beans so we will have those instead! :j

I will need to go and do a shop after work tomorrow - need food to last us until Monday before we go away. There isn't much in the freezer now as I have been trying to get it down for a while to defrost it. Someone mentioned in another thread about a frugal food thread...will try and find where this is! I am hoping for at least one NSD day over the weekend but do need to go to town on Saturday to pick up my holiday clothes. I am thinking about picking them up on Saturday and then taking what I don't want/need back on Sunday so it goes back on my CC quickly.

My sister also has given my some belated euro's for my birthday :j so we can have a meal on her during the holidays!

I am looking forward to my holiday but I am worried about getting carried away and not being able to afford to pay CC3 (travel CC) off in the same month. I need to remain focused!

I have been thinking about when my debt free debt will be. If I continue to pay CC1 at the rate of £175/month I should be debt free by September 2018. CC2 has slightly less on it but is still in use so I think 09/18 is a reasonable date - but if I clear it before even better!
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • Made a shopping list for breakfast, lunch and dinners until Monday last night and ended up going via Aldi, Lidl and Sainsbury's to get it all lol I have ended up spending quite a bit (need to find the receipts I have shoved in my bag for true amount) as I spent £5.79 on beer :eek: It is officially holiday time now though!!!

Just found 2 of the receipts, not sure where the other one has gone! Think that one was about £6. So £5.60 in Sainsburys and £6.70 in Lidl makes it approximately £18 for 3 days worth of food and drink, £12 without the booze :mad: Will need to try and kick this habit when I am back from holiday!

One of holiday clothing packages have arrived today...2 items are going back with one successful! So that is £26.25 for a cardigan for holiday. Picking up the other 2 parcels tomorrow. The other cardigan is a chunky knit one that may be good for the evening...but it is £49! I have received a 15% voucher through the post though so may ask them to take it back and rebuy it with the 15% off :rotfl:

Need to be organised tomorrow so this is my list to do:
    • Put a wash on
    • Strip the bed & put in another wash
    • Pick up parcels
    • Decide on which one's to keep and which one's are going back
    • Go to bank appointment in town at 2pm
    • Start packing!

I am hoping for a NSD tomorrow as I am going to use my boots points to get some sun cream and some body spray :money:
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • So DEFINITELY not a NSD day today :o I bought the sun cream from Asda in the end at was £4 in there and £6 in boots.. I know I could have used the points in boots but still didn't like I could get it cheaper elsewhere! Got some binbags and body spray too which were £4.49 in total. I also bought a play suit at £15, it is for holiday though and have ended up sending everything I ordered online back. I also had a pasty and cookie in town...NOT GOOD (but, it was tasty...)

Put a wash on - Done and hung up!
    Strip the bed & put in another wash - Bed stripped and re-made but not put in wash as no room to hang it yet!
    Pick up parcels Done!
    Decide on which one's to keep and which one's are going back Was cheeky and asked to try them straight on in the changing room and they promptly asked for a refund on everyone!
    Go to bank appointment in town at 2pm Done! I piggy bank with several banks and this bank is my holiday account. When I plundered my account they said they have an account that has no monthly fee but pays 5% interest. Have switched :)
    Start packing! Need to do this but a lot of the clothes I need to pack are drying doh!!

I popped in to Halifax to ask if I need to do anything with my halifax clarity travel CC and apparently you have to tell them every country you are going to be in and what date otherwise the card will get declined! Really glad I asked otherwise would have been screwed as only have a few euros! Anyway...now to pack!
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • Managed to pack what I could yesterday, just need to add the bits once they are dry and things like toiletries and make up. Need to blitz the house today - it is always nice when you walk in from holiday and its clean (apart from dust!) and tidy. Will do the garden tomorrow as it is raining now! Have some bulbs to put in and need to mow the lawn.

Will be a NSD day today as not leaving the house. Finally!

I did get a bit down yesterday when I was packing, looking at all my lovely clothes that just simply do not fit me anymore. I have put on quite a lot of weight over the last couple of years. Probably 2 stone heavier then I should be :( I will tackle this when I come back off my holiday. I paid £150 for Joe Wick's programme, started doing it then fell off the wagon. Will gt back on it and use the programme otherwise it is a waste of £150!! The food is a bit more expensive but will try and pick recipes that have similar ingredients so there is no waste.

Nothing else to report really, need to keep posting to keep me focussed. I think my diary is really boring sorry!
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • I popped in to Halifax to ask if I need to do anything with my halifax clarity travel CC and apparently you have to tell them every country you are going to be in and what date otherwise the card will get declined!

I didn't, and it didn't! I think you can do it online if that is easier.

Have a lovely holiday
  • :rotfl:
    I didn't, and it didn't! I think you can do it online if that is easier.
    T
    Have a lovely holiday

Thanks redofromstart, it made me panic! I have put the info on my internet banking just in case.

Managed to do most of the house today, apart from cellar, which is the 'man den'. Massive spider roaming around so staying well clear! Just need to dust tomorrow and then I am done! Pretty much now fully packed apart from the few things I will need in the morning. I keep forgetting it is actually Tuesday not tomorrow albeit at 2am on Tuesday so might as well be tomorrow!

NSD today :money: spent quite a lot of time on here this morning getting ideas for saving. Hoping to keep it up whilst away and definitely getting back on it when Internet back after surveying the damage. Having a roast around my parents tonight -no one does a roast like my Mom!

Annoyingly going to have to do a big shop when we get back - running out of cleaning products, sandwich bags, foil and the freezer is nearly empty! That reminds me to pack kitchen roll!

Hoping for another NSD tomorrow x
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • NSD today yay! :j I am not counting the £70 we had to pay in to-be-installed parking permit in our area :eek: It won't change how or where we park and now pay £70 a year for the privalege. We voted against it but I guess other people decided it would be a good idea...Thanks neighbours! The £70 has come from out joint bank account.

We go on our holidays tomorrow (2am :eek:) and have a 4 hour drive to Calais and then 5 hours to our first stop in France. I have tried to use up everything in the fridge and will hard boil the eggs we have left to eat on the journey. My OH won't eat them but I will :) Need to remember to put the last of the bread in the freezer for when we get back too.

I will try and update my diary at points during the holiday to keep me in check with my money savings!
    MFW #52 £9000/£12000
  • Have a great holiday.
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport