Old Economy 10 system help

Comments

• danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,401
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Were it me, I'd confirm the exact changeover times first, though appreciate that depends on being around at the right time.

I've checked and the digital meter switches from rate 1 to rate 2 at approx. 3.10pm.
    If the off peak rate is in one 10 hour block then the cheap rate possibly starts at 5.10am.

At least I can heat water and use washing machine off peak during the day.
    As for the heating, I'll check with the neighbours as they've replaced the same system with electric heating.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Economy 10 normally has one hour mid afternoon so you could see if it changes again around 4.10
  • danrv
    Forumite
    Doesn't seem to have changed. Will probably be on normal rate 2 now until 5.10am.
    Will keep checking though.
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Organisation Representative
    danrv wrote: »
    Well, rate 1 is now flashing at 11.45am, 24hrs later so doesn't look like this shows what rate is currently being used.
    No way of telling when the meter switches so will have to go with Eon's stated times.

As I see it, I have uncertain day/night rate times, a mechanical timer which is not set at the correct time and an old heating system that I can't update.
    I'll contact Eon representative as per message.
    Haven't been here long so no full bill yet.
    Eon said my electricity is Economy 10 which does make sense with my heating system.
    The email states that cheap rate is 10pm-8am GMT spread over three blocks.
    A bit confused, I asked for clarification and after a while they got back and confirmed it was 10.00pm - 8.00am.
    Ideally I'd like my E10 hours similar to how the oil fired system timer was set up in my previous house.
    7.00am - 10am
    3pm - 10pm
    Then electric rads on cheap rate plus hot water, washing, oven etc.

Afternoon danrv.

Meter switching times are set by the regional electricity distributor and rarely change. As such, it looks like there's a fault with your time switch.

Economy 10 meters give 10 hours off-peak electricity in every 24 hours. As others have said, this is usually split into three periods at night, during the afternoon and in the evening. This, though, isn't set in stone as there are some hybrid versions around and the advisor you spoke to could well be right. As above, happy to check.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • danrv
    Forumite
    Thanks for the reply. As Im not using the heating at the moment, the current off peak time works well with my routine.
    Im assuming the mechanical timer communicates with the digital meter and switches it over.
    What Im not sure about is when the storage heater charges. Maybe its wired in to the timer.
    Thanks for the reply. As Im not using the heating at the moment, the current off peak time works well with my routine.
    Im assuming the mechanical timer communicates with the digital meter and switches it over.
    What Im not sure about is when the storage heater charges. Maybe its wired in to the timer.

You're welcome danrv. Happy to help.

What usually happens with storage heaters is they're wired directly into the heating circuits at properties. This allows them to be automatically activated at the off-peak times by the time switch. The problem here is your time switch is out meaning, if you were using them, they would be coming on when maybe you weren't expecting. As this currently suits you, probably best to leave alone and then re-visit it once you need to use the storage heaters.

Have a good weekend danrv.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Danrv, worth ensuring that your immersion heater is only operated when the digital meter indicates the off-peak rate too.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    The problem here is your time switch is out meaning, if you were using them, they would be coming on when maybe you weren't expecting.

The central storage unit is off at the mains now but when on it stays warm all the time. Being a large storage heater, it holds the heat very well between charges.
    I suppose it doesn’t matter when it charges as long as it does so automatically at the off peak time.
    Thanks for the help.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    Danrv, worth ensuring that your immersion heater is only operated when the digital meter indicates the off-peak rate too.

Yes, thanks. Doing that at the moment.
    The central storage unit is off at the mains now but when on it stays warm all the time. Being a large storage heater, it holds the heat very well between charges.
    I suppose it doesn’t matter when it charges as long as it does so automatically at the off peak time.
    Thanks for the help.

You're welcome danrv. Happy to help.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure