Tire pressure (motorbike) safe?

Comments

• stuartJo1989
    stuartJo1989 Posts: 461 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2017 at 5:46PM
    You may be the safest driver there is, but you are contemplating riding your bike with defective tyres.

You may be OK, you may not, who knows.

You're only going to do 30ish so that's OK, unless you end up having a blow out and ending up under a HGV or something.

Aye, but I admittedly do not have the knowledge about tyres! I didn't know whether it could blow out, or whether it would be safe enough to make it home (10miles), the garage (5miles) or even the nearest pump (0.5 miles). Or what other options were available. Or whether using some sort of glue (the neighbor offered me use of some, which is for a motorbike I must add) would be a temporary fix. If I had it my own way I'd go to the nearest garage (over the road). Sadly, this is closed down due to refurbishment for a few weeks

Criticism is fine, but some people are making out like I was not going to listen to the criticism and drive anyway!

So you guys have taught me not to do something which now seems quite silly to me :)
    I've only came of my bike once, at a slow speed 25-30mph, wearing full textile gear and it bloody well hurt, bruised ribs and knee which took about 2 weeks to feel better, big graze to my arm and my gloves were wrecked and visor of helmet scratched to f*** so new helmet needed.

Good luck.

Aye, Its brutal. My only crash was doing about 3-5 mph in Stratford. Hurt like hell.
  • Well I read your post and saw no details that would justify your contemplating riding an unroadworthy motorcycle.

Fair enough :)
  • I've never had a flat tyre so don't know whether it is dangerous and, before doing something potentially dangerous, have asked for advice

Nope I haven't read it, because I'd normally just take it to the garage/rely on the MOT for problems.

I do, however, carry out routine checks every time which I learned on my CBT test (been called sad in the past for doing that!) and one of them includes checking the tyres before every ride.... Hence how I came to notice the problem in the first place. Initially thought it was vandalism because of the slashing, but it looked more cracked

I probably should do that, but I am happy with the level of checking I carry out. It is much more than most people, and I drive safely, so I don't mind :) But even so, the tyres were fine when I set out and they weren't the day after when I went to leave.

I want to be able to word this in a really polite way, but basically I don't care :) I drive safe, I look after the motorbike, I pay my tax/insurance, I have a full UK driving licence, I have current CBT tests, I follow the highway code, I regularly check the basics before a ride. That's enough for me! If it isn't enough for you then file a complaint with the universe ;)

So you checked your tires before riding to your fiend's house and they were OK? And then you noticed cracks in them and thought it was vandalism? Why?

And you also seem to be asking how to keep the tires properly inflated. How have you dealt with this problem in the past?

And you "don't care" so more responsible people should file a complaint with the universe(!).
  • ilikewatch
    ilikewatch Posts: 1,072 Forumite
    edited 16 September 2017 at 6:11PM
    If the bike is going to be SORNed for any length of time have you considered getting it moved by van/trailer to the location where you're going to store it? That way you will save having a brand new tyre sitting in storage and aging, then you can just get the tyre/s replaced when you recommissioned the bike.

Even if you don't know someone with a van/trailer, I would assume that recovering a bike to a location 10 miles away would cost considerably less than a new tyre*

*I have no idea what bike tyres actually cost, but given the way that several of my biker friends bang on about the cost of them I assume that they are in the same league as gold bullion or saffron.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    "*I have no idea what bike tyres actually cost, but given the way that several of my biker friends bang on about the cost of them I assume that they are in the same league as gold bullion or saffron."

Sometimes seems like it, at c£120 rear and £80 front, and rears last about 4000 miles for me, front twice as long. Would never own a tyre long enough for it to age.
  • stuartJo1989
    edited 16 September 2017 at 7:42PM
    So you checked your tires before riding to your fiend's house and they were OK? And then you noticed cracks in them and thought it was vandalism? Why?

Why do you want to argue this?

I checked tires before leaving. Fine.

I drove 10 miles. Fine.

I went to ride it a day later and noticed cracks on the side and it had gone down a bit. I initially thought someone had slashed them because it happened overnight and it was parked on a small housing estate in a fairly inconvenient place (the only place which allowed me to lock it up), but upon closer inspection it looked too *random* to be vandalism (ie it was more around the whole rim and was jagged, not straight).
    And you also seem to be asking how to keep the tires properly inflated. How have you dealt with this problem in the past?

The tires have always been inflated when I've checked them, so I haven't "dealt with this problem in the past".

The only things I've done are:

1. Give it a yearly MOT and get it up to speed
    2. Replace the other tire (or maybe both, I can't remember to be honest) about a year ago due to loss of traction.
    3. Use it for maybe 2 miles commuting per day, 5 days a week (so light use really) in the past year, with the odd trip up to partner's place (10 miles).

And you "don't care" so more responsible people should file a complaint with the universe(!).

Ultimately, I don't care about whether you or the other person think I'm a safe driver. I follow the highway code, I perform basic checks and I ask questions when I'm unsure of what to do. Don't give a rats !!! beyond that I'm afraid, so if that isn't good enough for you then sorry! You will have to file a complaint to the universe!
  • I would not have a problem if you rode the bike the 10 miles on the rim, I just wish you would stop using American spellings :mad:
  • I checked tires before leaving. Fine.

I drove 10 miles. Fine.

I went to ride it a day later and noticed cracks on the side and it had gone down a bit.
    The tires have always been inflated when I've checked them,

I perform basic checks
    If the sidewalls are cracked it likely to be because its been ridden a fair distance with low tyre pressure. How do you check them?
    My only worry is I have little money and little time to get it fixed
    No worries, the NHS is free.

What bike is it?
  • ilikewatch wrote: »
    If the bike is going to be SORNed for any length of time have you considered getting it moved by van/trailer to the location where you're going to store it? That way you will save having a brand new tyre sitting in storage and aging, then you can just get the tyre/s replaced when you recommissioned the bike.

Even if you don't know someone with a van/trailer, I would assume that recovering a bike to a location 10 miles away would cost considerably less than a new tyre*

*I have no idea what bike tyres actually cost, but given the way that several of my biker friends bang on about the cost of them I assume that they are in the same league as gold bullion or saffron.

Good idea actually! Just hire a man with a van. I could declare it SORN at my current location and then transport it in the van. Cheers!
  • stuartJo1989
    edited 16 September 2017 at 8:54PM
    If the sidewalls are cracked it likely to be because its been ridden a fair distance with low tyre pressure. How do you check them?

I check the tires, and everything else (lights, mirrors, gauges, L plates etc), every time and in line with what I was taught on my CBT test.

Much of that is just through observation and feeling it. Maybe I was taught wrong? But in fairness, I think proper bike maintenance comes with the qualifications which allow you to ride motorbikes higher than 125cc. People say "refer to your manual" but most laymen simply pay for a garage to make the repairs! That's life! That's what I wish I could do right now!

I readily admit that there are things I could do to make it *more* safe, but I've been driving for many years now (car and motorbike) and I am happy with how safe I am. I sadly don't have as much knowledge on tires or motorbikes hence why I posted on here. Don't mind a bit of criticism like, but there are people out there who wouldn't think twice about doing what I initially proposed! I'm not like that, and I'll take on board your criticism. Which I've done.

What bike is it?

Aprilla 125cc, cost about £2k+ brand new
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family