A new feline family member - what did you consider

Comments

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Happibunni wrote: »
    Thanks to one and all for your replies.

We weren't going to go looking for another month or so but fell in love with a wee girl on the sspca website. We went to meet her today and, paws crossed, she will be ready to come home next Friday/Saturday.

I don't have a picture to share but, for those interested, if you look at the sspca rehome page for cats her name is Elsa.

Our house will one again be a home :j

This one ?

67540.jpg?mode=stretch&scale=both&width=740&height=520

https://www.scottishspca.org/rehome/details/?animal=329968
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • That's my girl :j
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,014 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    She's gorgeous !
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,742 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Have to agree Silvertabby she is gourgeous, such an expressive face.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
  • Aww - She does have such an expressive face! Is it still on to adopt her?

Sorry for just wading into this thread!

We'd (or rather, I'd) been wanting to adopt a cat for a few years, but we hadn't been in a position to do so. We'd been living in a top floor flat in London, so it wouldn't have been able to go outside, plus the tenancy said no animals, and my husband wasn't ready for the responsibility, plus we like holidays. But this year we moved to a house with a garden and now his work means holidays are far less likely. About a month ago we had a conversation, his mind completely changed and we paid a visit to Battersea.

Two weeks ago we picked up a little black cat. We'd met him in the centre and he was really friendly, came out to meet us with head bonks, very confident cat. He was in there with another cat who just hid from us. He doesn't miss the other cat in the slightest, I think he enjoys not competing over food and being the only one being fussed about.

My husband did make me do a list of cost things though - he almost put a chart up with an amount to count down from. He wanted to put a cap on at £750 for a year, and then take off amounts whenever we spent them on him. Ugh, that made me feel horrible, I couldn't do it. Never did it when I had a dog. I've already considered things like insurance and food - He's a light eater, so that keeps costs down. I find cheap litter, he's not interested in toys. I've got people to look after him if we go away as well.

In the two weeks he's been here so far he's been lovely, he makes me feel so nice on the inside, it's lovely to have him on my lap in the evening, even if it took 20 vet surgeries and £43 to get him the right feline leukaemia injection last week!
  • She's gorgeous Happibunni :T
  • Thanks all for the interest in this thread.

Once home we need to sort out insurance - she comes with 4 weeks pet plan insurance but worth shopping around I guess before the insurance runs out.

Just can't wait to have her home, she was so chilled out with us yesterday, loves her chin scratches and was purring away.

Am sure her brother would approve of his sister :A
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,599 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Two weeks ago we picked up a little black cat. We'd met him in the centre and he was really friendly, came out to meet us with head bonks, very confident cat. He was in there with another cat who just hid from us.

When my little furball turned up, she threw up on the kitchen floor and then hid up in a cupboard - Stayed there for four weeks, only coming out to eat and use the litter tray. Eventually, she settled down and will now spend all her time on my lap or bed. She'll hide up as soon as anyone comes to the door and rarely goes outside (if she does, never more than a few feet from the door).

Don't dismiss the shy/timid ones - They can often be the most loving and loyal companions once they settle in.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • FreeBear wrote: »
    When my little furball turned up, she threw up on the kitchen floor and then hid up in a cupboard - Stayed there for four weeks, only coming out to eat and use the litter tray. Eventually, she settled down and will now spend all her time on my lap or bed. She'll hide up as soon as anyone comes to the door and rarely goes outside (if she does, never more than a few feet from the door).

Don't dismiss the shy/timid ones - They can often be the most loving and loyal companions once they settle in.

Throwing up on the kitchen floor was her way of saying thank you for rescuing her :wink:
  • no1catman
    no1catman Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Happibunni wrote: »
    That's my girl :j

Mines' a Rescue calico as well.
    I used to work for Tesco - now retired - speciality Clubcard
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business