Bank Charges Reclaiming Guide discussion

Comments

• Found this E-petition concerning Bank Charges.
    I have signed it! anyone else?

When the Liberals and Conservatives were in opposition they both agreed that banks should pay back high bank charges to customers. Nothing seems to of happened since they came into power as a coalition. PPI insurance has been sorted now they should turn their attention to bank charges and help customers get exorbitant charges refunded.
  • angie7
    angie7 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Hello,

It was 2008 when i last signed onto this forum to get advised on claiming bank charge fees on behlaf of my mother. I have read through the website and forums and have a good understanding of the new process since this all went through the courts, however i have an outstanding question I was hoping someone can help me with.

I contact LTSB end 2007 / early 2008 for the previous 6 years of bank charges so that I could claim for my mom (totalling £3600 across 2 -3 bank accounts). Within the letter requesting the bank charge charge i explained my moms financial hardship... A response letter was received which said "If your complaint is about the level, fairness or lawfulness of overdraft bank charges, then a different process that we've agrred with the FInancial Services Authority will apply. we will write to you shortly to explain how we'll handle that complaint and what steps we will take to protect you rights...."

At the time (28th July 2008), my mom didnt realise this was a deterient to stop her from progressing with the claim. A letter finally was received 7th July 2010 stating that following the court hearing they will not be refunding charges.

My mom and I then gave up, however after reading the MSE site I've realised I can reclaim....which is where the question comes in...

Do I continue with the same claim from 2007 / 2008, and go with the 6 years of bank charges I already have tried to claim- or do i reapply (having to pay the £10 fee to get the latest set of bank charges) for the past 6 years?

My mom is still in financial hardship and still incuring charges

Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • MDM00
    MDM00 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 1 September 2011 at 11:01AM
    I have £108 of charges from Santander bank. This doesn’t stop there though. They send me a letter yesterday saying they ill charge me a further £45 because I didn’t have enough money to pay the £108.

I told them I can’t afford to pay that much money. I told the all my hardship.
    That first I was a carer to my cousin who’s mentally ill and all I used to get was £55 a week from DWP. Now im on JSA and get £103 every two weeks.
    Im a recent graduate and im looking for a job. Even though I think the charges are unfair i would still pay them if I get a job tomorrow.

They said there is nothing they can do to help at all. Brick wall who ever I speak to.
    Only one lady at the local branch was nice enough to say they should understand you unique situation and should cancel these charge or at least put a stop to it until you get enough money to pay them. But she couldn’t help me as well.
    I’m honest here when I say I don’t a penny to them. I am completely broke. They don’t care at all though. They keep charging me again and again. And it seems is going up. Now by September 14th I have to pay £108+£45. I would pay that I have money. The thing is I DONT HAVE ANY MONEY!!!
    What can I do? Im seriously stuck and im sick and tired of this bank. I have never felt so betrayed and hurt by a bank before. I totally lose faith in these banks. There is not a single person in that bank (Santander) on the phone face to face that’s willing to help me. :(
  • Hi, I'm new to this site. I have had some success with reclaiming credit card charges from Barclaycard and Natwest, and also ppi from Tesco Bank. However i'm struggling reclaiming Bank Charges from Halifax. I wrote to them on 21st July 2011, requesting a refund of £6613.50 (inc interest). I phoned them after 14 days as I hadn't received a reply, they said they had wrote. They said they wouldn't be refunding any charges i'd requested, although they had stopped charges of £50.00 going through in July. I was disgusted, so I wrote again on 5th August, of which I haven't received a reply. So I emailed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    on to complain, but I haven't heard from anyone since. I have emailed again yesterday, to at least get an acknowledgement of the email, still no reply. Is this the correct email address?? Perhaps i'm expecting too much too soon, not sure whether to just go to the courts?

Thanks in advance for any help regarding this.
  • Could someone please help.

I recently sent Barclays a letter asking for my bank charges back. I requested them because in AUg 2008 I lost my job and took another one a week later that was approxaimtely 25% less than what I was on. It required a lot of belt tightening and cuts for us to be ok. During this period I was charged quite often for going over my overdraft, quite often for £3-£4 at a time. However, barclays won't preocess our claim without ridiculous detailed information of our incomings and outgoings at the time, please bear in mind this was 3 years ago. So firstly, it is difficult to remember such detailed information as well as the amounts. Furthermore do Barclays require this information? I'm very dubious about giving it to them as it I feel all it requires is a look at my monthly statements, see the massive drop in pay and give me my money back.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks a lot
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    anaylorefc wrote: »
    Could someone please help.

I recently sent Barclays a letter asking for my bank charges back. I requested them because in AUg 2008 I lost my job and took another one a week later that was approxaimtely 25% less than what I was on. It required a lot of belt tightening and cuts for us to be ok. During this period I was charged quite often for going over my overdraft, quite often for £3-£4 at a time. However, barclays won't preocess our claim without ridiculous detailed information of our incomings and outgoings at the time, please bear in mind this was 3 years ago. So firstly, it is difficult to remember such detailed information as well as the amounts. Furthermore do Barclays require this information? I'm very dubious about giving it to them as it I feel all it requires is a look at my monthly statements, see the massive drop in pay and give me my money back.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks a lot
    Have you read the article? If so, you'll know it's all about financial hardship (or what Martin confusingly refers to as the 'human criteria')

For that reason, of course they will need to know your income & expenditure details to establish if you really are in financial hardship, or simply wasting your money on Sky packages and smart phones. :cool:

If you also read the posts on this board, you will see that banks are essentially only paying out to (some of) those who are in financial hardship now and even then only usually to a maximum of about 6 months worth of recent fees.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier wrote: »
    Have you read the article? If so, you'll know it's all about financial hardship (or what Martin confusingly refers to as the 'human criteria')

For that reason, of course they will need to know your income & expenditure details to establish if you really are in financial hardship, or simply wasting your money on Sky packages and smart phones. :cool:

If you also read the posts on this board, you will see that banks are essentially only paying out to (some of) those who are in financial hardship now and even then only usually to a maximum of about 6 months worth of recent fees.

Ok thanks for that. BUt the point does remain that this was 3 years ago and we were genuinely struggling for approximately 2 years. But trying to remember what we spent on what and what we cut is going to be difficult at best.
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    anaylorefc wrote: »
    Ok thanks for that. BUt the point does remain that this was 3 years ago and we were genuinely struggling for approximately 2 years. But trying to remember what we spent on what and what we cut is going to be difficult at best.
    Thanks for clarifying the facts. On that basis I would suggest you waste no more time attempting to recover these historic bank charges as the likelihood of success now is about zero.

If you were in genuine financial hardship 3 years ago, then you should have complained then and perhaps the bank may have given you a refund
    (Actually they probably would have as they were often paying out back then before the Supreme Court ruling)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Premier wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying the facts. On that basis I would suggest you waste no more time attempting to recover these historic bank charges as the likelihood of success now is about zero.

If you were in genuine financial hardship 3 years ago, then you should have complained then and perhaps the bank may have given you a refund
    (Actually they probably would have as they were often paying out back then before the Supreme Court ruling)

But the point remains we were still struggling and they didn't help matters with their charges. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood here but surely that is the point?
  • Hi I havent been on this site for several years! I need help I dont know if I am on the correct page as there are so many pages about bank charges, I have just totaled up all the bank charges since 2006 from royal bank of scotland and I have had £2352 I am looking to try and claim them back I currently owe them just under 1k which is at a collections ageny the now I am going to be going through CCCS soon, but I dont have alot of debt about 2500 but bad debt, has anyone had success of getting them back from RBS and how do I do it I have taken down note of when and how much i have been charged at each charge

thanks in advance :-)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure