Electric cars

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    The UK price of the Model 3 is quite disappointing. Over £40k with tax for the base model. Remember when it was expected to come in well under £30k?

Nissan is releasing the new 62kWh Leaf, available to order now. The 40kWh version is getting a refresh as well with a new battery. Sadly the rest of the car remains the same.

What price will the new leafs come at. Thanks.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    There's still a lot of difficulty in getting information from manufacturers about their EV offerings, it seems. You'll know they've finally achieved the mass market with genuine competition when you start seeing the billboards with the PCP offers.

The new Zoe has just been announced, (around 22k before grant I believe). Hopefully the older ones will become a little cheaper on the s/h market with more battery owned models. We live in hope.
  • gfplux
    Some great photo’s of the new ZOE and with an impressive range (380k)
    I love the look of the interior which while my wife agreed she said that €24,000 (£21,000) for our future “small” second car was far too much.

And she is right.

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/electric/new-renault-zoe-ev-supermini-i-pace-range
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    Even when you factor in the reduction in fuel costs, maintenance, etc?

That's only about £3k more than a high base spec Clio which will cost a lot more in fuel.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Herzlos wrote: »
    That's only about £3k more than a high base spec Clio which will cost a lot more in fuel.
    But the Clio starts <£13k list. Or maybe a <£11k Twingo will suffice.
  • gfplux
    Even when you factor in the reduction in fuel costs, maintenance, etc?

In our household we run two cars and every household is different and have different reasons for their choices.

We have....

A largish 4x4 which is a 3 month old petrol P200 S Auto AWD Jaguar E Pace which replaced a BMW X5 Diesel as we wanted to move away from diesel, downsize and take money off the table. The jaguar cost €43,550

A small “town” car which is presently a petrol Fiat 500 which cost €16,000 8 years ago and has 45,000k on the clock. Very low running costs.

It is our hope and intention to replace the Fiat by jumping over hybrid straight to plug in.

HOWEVER there is a growing realisation at home that unless an attractive plug in becomes available at sub €20,000 we will choose to continue to run the Fiat up to 100,000 which will mean another 8 years BEFORE we are forced to make the change.

We have always bought our cars new and therefore the second hand market is not going to interest us, at the moment.

Perhaps all electric will not be viable for second cars for a long time.
  • Herzlos
    edited 19 June 2019 at 7:26AM
    That all seems pretty reasonable, EVs are likely too expensive for 2nd cars that don't do much mileage.
    What I think we're likely to do is demote the diesel to 2nd car status and replace it with an EV once a suitable one comes into budget. We usually buy about 3-5 years old and run until it's no longer viable or suitable.
    AdrianC wrote: »
    But the Clio starts <£13k list. Or maybe a <£11k Twingo will suffice.

Sure, and a 10 year old Clio can be bought for £1k. I'm trying to compare like for like and suspect the base Zoe is a lot higher spec than the base Clio.

Edit: the £21k Zoe has the battery hire, so the real price is more like £24k. You'd need to do a bit of calculation to see if it's total cost of ownership is better. I dare say for anyone facing congestion charges it becomes cheaper than petrol pretty quickly.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    gfplux wrote: »
    Perhaps all electric will not be viable for second cars for a long time.

I think you make good points for your household choices, but I'm not sure that last sentence is true as it applies more to your position of buying new, whereas for a city runabout / 2nd car, I'd have thought a secondhand BEV makes a great choice, and a way to dip your toes in the water first.

For second cars in general, I think BEV's make possibly more sense, and could be more viable, especially if the second car becomes the first choice for most daily driving whenever range and possibly size isn't important.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    Sure, and a 10 year old Clio can be bought for £1k. I'm trying to compare like for like and suspect the base Zoe is a lot higher spec than the base Clio.
    If that spec is needed or particularly wanted, and isn't actually just a load of brochureguff that's there to justify a high price in a head-to-head comparison.
  • Herzlos
    AdrianC wrote: »
    If that spec is needed or particularly wanted, and isn't actually just a load of brochureguff that's there to justify a high price in a head-to-head comparison.

There's definitely a market for a very low frills EV, like a Dacia Sandero.
    Presumably the EVs are still aimed at luxury users but will change at some point.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback