"Official" Thread for all of us waiting for a cladding report...

Comments

• mhuk01 wrote: »
    I too am in a similar issue. Trying to remortgage an unencumbered flat, which has been deemed safe (although another block in the same development with different cladding is having to be replaced currently). I've submitted various reports but none have been accepted.

I have received this from the lender: -

“We require the Building Owner and/or its agent, as the 'responsible person' under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, to produce a written statement to confirm that the cladding system(s) for the subject property meets the requirements of the current guidance from MHCLG. The statement must be prepared by a suitably qualified independent professional advisor who is a member of one of the professional bodies listed by the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) in Information Note 1 (or any subsequent list).”

The statement should confirm the property meets the requirements of the current guidance from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG) and it must have been prepared and signed by a suitably qualified independent professional advisor."

The lender is BM Solutions. Has anybody had similar issues and been successful with a lender?

I have received the same response from Halifax.

Reports have been booked for the development, however I am trying to establish whether the statement above is to be given independently from the report (the agent and freeholder have so far seemed unwilling to put pen to paper).

Does anybody know if this is the case?
  • asm89
    asm89 Posts: 136 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I would check with the management company whether the testers can include a summary page in the report which mentions their certification and compliance or not.
  • hi123
    hi123 Posts: 269 Forumite
    i have had a zero valuation by barclays for a flat on east london
    stuck having paid for searches etc and found out that all leaseholders were sent information regarding problems with fire safety in june but did not share that with us and let us incur costs of conveyancing
    this week received email telling us testing has happened but report wont be available till dec
    3 months for a test already done?
  • EC3D
    EC3D Posts: 34 Forumite
    I'm a buyer and also recently had a zero valuation from Halifax until I can get the written statement. But my seller has spoken to the building owner, who has been told by their PI insurance not to write the blanket statement the bank wants. I am quite upset about the whole situation and wondering if any bank will lend without this statement!??

It's frustrating because I have evidence to prove that the cladding is safe but the bank valuer specifically wants a 1 page statement, and I paid £200 for some guy to tell me that.
  • asm89
    hi123 wrote: »
    i have had a zero valuation by barclays for a flat on east london
    stuck having paid for searches etc and found out that all leaseholders were sent information regarding problems with fire safety in june but did not share that with us and let us incur costs of conveyancing
    this week received email telling us testing has happened but report wont be available till dec
    3 months for a test already done?

At least you know the report is coming. The wait is so annoying but it's not like the seller is going to pull out to be honest, you just need to check when your searches expire? You could also argue for the seller to pay the cost of any new searches given they didn't provide this information prior to your offer!
  • asm89
    EC3D wrote: »
    I'm a buyer and also recently had a zero valuation from Halifax until I can get the written statement. But my seller has spoken to the building owner, who has been told by their PI insurance not to write the blanket statement the bank wants. I am quite upset about the whole situation and wondering if any bank will lend without this statement!??

It's frustrating because I have evidence to prove that the cladding is safe but the bank valuer specifically wants a 1 page statement, and I paid £200 for some guy to tell me that.

What evidence do you have about the cladding being safe? And who was it from. The bank won't lend without proof but it may not need to be a 1 page statement.
  • asm89 wrote: »
    At least you know the report is coming. The wait is so annoying but it's not like the seller is going to pull out to be honest, you just need to check when your searches expire? You could also argue for the seller to pay the cost of any new searches given they didn't provide this information prior to your offer!

Hmm, that i disagree. I am a seller for my Shared ownership and I was also caught in the same situation having not known that the bank would require a cladding report and my HA did not have one when I wrote in to them to sell my Shared ownership back in July.

My estate Agent, solicitors etc ... none of them in the chain were known to this "new requirement" by the Bank and of course no one wants to take responsibility for it and the ultimate losers are the buyer and seller having to folk out the sunk cost from our own pockets.

I also have paid for the valuation of my flat as it is on Shared Ownership, therefore I cannot take a market price other than the price written down by HA's appointed valuation. The report cost me £300 and only valid for 3 months!
  • asm89
    LP.online wrote: »
    Hmm, that i disagree. I am a seller for my Shared ownership and I was also caught in the same situation having not known that the bank would require a cladding report and my HA did not have one when I wrote in to them to sell my Shared ownership back in July.

My estate Agent, solicitors etc ... none of them in the chain were known to this "new requirement" by the Bank and of course no one wants to take responsibility for it and the ultimate losers are the buyer and seller having to folk out the sunk cost from our own pockets.

I also have paid for the valuation of my flat as it is on Shared Ownership, therefore I cannot take a market price other than the price written down by HA's appointed valuation. The report cost me £300 and only valid for 3 months!

Yeah you weren't aware of the requirements. It does seem that their seller was at least aware of a fire safety issue which might mean the cost of cladding replacement could be passed on to the new owner. I do understand why they didn't declare it though but still unfair.
  • EC3D
    EC3D Posts: 34 Forumite
    asm89 wrote: »
    What evidence do you have about the cladding being safe? And who was it from. The bank won't lend without proof but it may not need to be a 1 page statement.

I have spoken to the seller who has certification from the local authority to say that the building is safe (this was post-Grenfell), and London Fire Brigade were even involved in supervising and certifying the cladding, there is a fire risk assessment, and the building insurance got renewed only a few months ago and everything was deemed safe and fine. I even found online a product brochure for that type of cladding that has passed the fire test as required by the MHCLG (granted it was from the Australian branch of the manufacturer but they use the same test standards).

Unfortunately my bank will only accept the 1 page written statement and specifically stated they don't accept anything else. I even called other banks and they say the same thing. So it seems a lot of sellers and buyers will suffer from this now.
  • asm89
    EC3D wrote: »
    I have spoken to the seller who has certification from the local authority to say that the building is safe (this was post-Grenfell), and London Fire Brigade were even involved in supervising and certifying the cladding, there is a fire risk assessment, and the building insurance got renewed only a few months ago and everything was deemed safe and fine. I even found online a product brochure for that type of cladding that has passed the fire test as required by the MHCLG (granted it was from the Australian branch of the manufacturer but they use the same test standards).

Unfortunately my bank will only accept the 1 page written statement and specifically stated they don't accept anything else. I even called other banks and they say the same thing. So it seems a lot of sellers and buyers will suffer from this now.

Ah okay. The statement needs to be written by one of the approved bodies so couldn't come from the management company anyway. It would need to be written by someone from this list. Was the local authority LABC? If the checks were done this year, after the latest guidance from the govt, they may be willing to write the statement.

Architects Registration Board (ARB)
    Association of Consultant Approved Inspectors (ACAI)
    Association for Project Management (APM)
    Association for Project Safety (APS)
    Chartered Association of Building Engineers (CABE)
    Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
    Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
    Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
    Chartered Institution of Building Services Engineers (CIBSE)
    Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM)
    Construction Industry Council Approver Inspectors Register (CICAIR)
    Institute of Clerks of Works and Construction Inspectorate (ICWCI)
    Institute of Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA)
    Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
    Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE)
    Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE)
    Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
    Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
    Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS)
    Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI)
    Society of Façade Engineers (SFE)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport