MSE News: Anglian Water SoLow customer? It's axing the tariff meaning bill hikes

Comments

• veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Apologies if this has been asked previously but has anyone got a script of the questions for eligibility on the new lite tarriff please?

Is it on bill payers income or household for instance?
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Have a look at the AW website - the information is there
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • GailForce
    GailForce Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 July 2015 at 8:54PM
    zaphod42 wrote: »

My notice letter from AW arrived on Friday - with no details about the transistion arrangements or the new tariff. Just a bland sentence sending me to their web-site. Hello AW!! not everyone in Suffolk has access to good quality broadband, in order to find out the details. Nor is the website easy to navigate.

I think this lack of informational is intentional. The whole tone of the letter suggests that the phasing out of the SoLow Tariff is 'no big deal' and advises customers 'not to worry'. It is a deceitful attempted to hide the true impact of the withdrawal of the tariff will have on many customers, which is why they have not included details of the standard tariff in the letter. Anglian Water's implausible explanation for this is that price increases had not been finalised when the letters were posted as they wanted to let customers know early of future changes.

The examples of increased charges quoted on the website are misleadingly selective for water usage and show only moderate increases in charges. In answer to my complaint about a 100% increase in my water bills I received a poorly written letter, consisting of a batch of irrelevant cobbled together standard paragraphs, which barely addressed my actual complaint.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    GailForce wrote: »
    I think this lack of informational is intentional. The whole tone of the letter suggests that the phasing out of the SoLow Tariff is 'no big deal' and advises customers 'not to worry'. It is a deceitful attempted to hide the true impact of the withdrawal of the tariff will have on many customers, which is why they have not included details of the standard tariff in the letter. Anglian Water's implausible explanation for this is that price increases had not been finalised when the letters were posted as they wanted to let customers know early of future changes.

The examples of increased charges quoted on the website are misleadingly selective for water usage and show only moderate increases in charges. In answer to my complaint about a 100% increase in my water bills I received a poorly written letter, consisting of a batch of irrelevant cobbled together standard paragraphs, which barely addressed my actual complaint.

Welcome to the forum.

IMO the website explains fully why they are phasing out the SoLow tariff - see http://www.anglianwater.co.uk/household/your-account/bills-and-payments/tariffs/solow/
    Why is this Happening

In short, SoLow customers receive a subsidy on their bill and that subsidy is paid for by other customers. The subsidy amounted to every non-SoLow customer paying an £7 extra per year to fund the preferential SoLow rate.

At the time we introduced SoLow it was appropriate to provide preferential rates for customers who were switching to metering and had low consumption. All SoLow customers have benefitted from their time on the tariff as they’ve been paying less than the standard rate for their water services. However, 80% of customers now have meters and are equally water efficient as those on SoLow. Yet, only a small percentage (5%) are benefitting from the SoLow incentive.

With six million customers, we have to ensure fairness for all and hence the need to phase out SoLow.

Recent analysis of the data also showed the SoLow tariff was on average benefiting smaller households rather than water efficiency. While some people were benefitting, others were losing out despite their best efforts to use less water; larger families for instance.

The two factors combined meant that offering the preferential rate SoLow tariff was unfair to the majority of our six million customers and was no longer sustainable as a tariff.

It was a decision we put much thought and consideration into, and that’s why we have consulted with Consumer Council for Water throughout, and have been at pains to make the changes gradual.
    A low consumption customer would use less than 35 cubic meters a year, and the increase of going onto the Standard tariff equates to around £2 per month.

The reason as explained above is that they do not think that it is fair that SoLow customers should be subsidised by all other customers. Especially as the low consumption is often not a factor of water efficiency but because of smaller households.

It is difficult IMO to justify larger families - who might be very careful with water - paying towards a subsidy for people who might be considerably better off.

The website explains that low consumption households using less than 35m3 pa will pay £24 a year more.

You say your bill is to increase by 100%. Can you please give your annual consumption and actual costs on SoLow and when this tariff ' is phased out.
  • GailForce
    GailForce Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Agreed, the website does explain why Anglian Water is phasing out the SoLow tariff and the letter sent to Solow customers in March does refer to reasons for the changes but it does not tell customers what the new charges will be. This most essential information is not included in the letter, which is why I consider this as an insidious attempt by Anglian Water to conceal the impact that the prices increases will have upon many Solow customers.

It is necessary for customers to actively search on-line for details about future charges and I think Anglian Water is relying on the lethargy of many and the misfortunes of those like the elderly without internet access to introduce the price increases as surreptitiously as possible.

Whatever the reasons for the increase and irrespective of Anglia Water’s alleged number of customers consulted about their business plan and the fairness of the situation, the withdrawal of the Solow Tariff will impact on those of us who are low users but still strive to conserve water.

I quote from Anglian Water’s letter. “But you shouldn’t worry, as we are phasing it (the Solow Tariff) out over three years, slowly moving you on to our Standard Tariff. Any changes you might see in your bill will be gradual.” I do not consider a near 100% increase in my bill as a gradual increase.

For information: - My average water consumption is approximately 10 cubic metres p.a. although last year it was actually less than this. At today’s prices the Solow Rate for water and sewage would amount to £37.38. Next year the standing charges alone will exceed this amount by £5.75. Next year my total bill will amount to £73.84, an overall increase of 97.5%.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    With respect you criticised AW for using 'examples of increased charges quoted on the website are misleadingly selective for water usage' Yet to justify your case you use a water consumption of 10 m3 pa(about 20% of the UK average for a single person) which I suggest is a lot less representative than any figure used by AW. I have never heard of a main residence using such low consumption.

However much you dislike the way AW have presented the figures, surely the logic of phasing out SoLow cannot be faulted; or is there any reason why SoLow customers should continue to receive a cross-subsidy from all other AW customers? many of whom could be on a lower income.

No other company in UK has such a system, and if I were one of the 95% of 'normal' AW customers I would be applauding the company for removing the unjustified cross-subsidy.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    have just had my Anglian bill- no letter earlier in the year.

This paragraph interests me:
    "Our tariffs are changing and SoLow is being phased out. If you use less than 75 cubic metres each year you can stay on the tariff until it is discontinued, but if you use more than this call us today to switch and start saving now."

I've used 24 cubic meters and they have left my monthly DDs the same. I notice the cost per cubic metre reduced on April 1st (All Fools Day!!)
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
    64148 Posts: 15 Forumite
    The operation of Solow meant, say, a couple with consumption of 74m3 a year, would pay a fraction of the charges of, say, a property with 5 occupants who used 76m3 a year.

Comment by Cardew is incorrect, he forgot to check the cu M charges, they are far greater for the Solow customer.

Emgee
    However much you dislike the way AW have presented the figures, surely the logic of phasing out SoLow cannot be faulted; or is there any reason why SoLow customers should continue to receive a cross-subsidy from all other AW customers? many of whom could be on a lower income.

AWA customers will still be funding users on any kind of State Benefit, a fair to all system would be a universal charge per cu M supplied.

Emgee
    No other company in UK has such a system, and if I were one of the 95% of 'normal' AW customers I would be applauding the company for removing the unjustified cross-subsidy

Wrong again Cardew, the other utility companies also rob peter to pay paul.

Emgee
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport