Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    inexpert wrote: »
    Compared to the v19 E.ON tariff I had been on, the current best E.ON tariff is 37.52% more expensive for day units and 37.76% more expensive for night units. I hope I'm not coming across as melodramatic when I say that these seem like crazy price increases. When I first saw them I thought there must have been some mistake.

The standing charge is being reduced to 16.422p from 26.019p, but that only yields a saving of £35.03 a year, not nearly enough to negate the per unit increases as they would affect me. That is to say, the net change after accounting for all price alterations is still an increase in excess of 30% (i.e., 32.3%).

This is not only worse than the old v19 plan, but also worse than many competitors' tariffs. On the comparator website I scrolled through a substantial portion of the top of the list of deals selected for me, and E.ON's name did not occur there. After 8 years or so with E.ON, I hadn't been considering switching away, but having been offered the largest price increase I have ever seen, I felt forced to. Consequently, I've entered into a contract with another supplier.

I might also mention that there seems to a problem with the E.ON website, in that it does not offer the best tariff for me if I answer "no" to the question "Would you like us to show only our Economy 7 tariffs in your quote results?" In that case it offers a tariff that is 111% more expensive than my existing contract for the same usage. Someone might wish to look into that.

Hello inexpert and sorry to lose you but fully appreciate where you're coming from. Also sorry I can't suggest a suitable alternative with us at this time. Version 19 was a discounted tariff and only available for a limited time. It was withdrawn from sale on 9 February 16.

I've just checked the website and all seems okay. Both when looking at quotes based on a single rate or Economy 7 tariff.

Sorry again to lose you.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    pineapple wrote: »
    I have an issue - which is not Eon's fault - but when I first moved in I was clueless about E7 and the cost of storage heaters. My first bill was massive - the following was less massive and now that I have a handle on it, my consumption is a fraction of what it was originally. But it seems that all my consumption has been factored in the quote. It says that I have 70% cheap rate consumption which these days is not true. Plus the estimate for annual consumption should actually be around 1/3 lower - based on my current pattern of use. So have had to do my own calculations for what would be a typical year in the future.
    So I still wish I could do a search which simply logged the tariffs/unit rates /standing charges of all suppliers in that area.
    pineapple wrote: »
    I checked and when you do this, it doesn't bring up a list of both E7 and none E7 tariffs as you would expect (well I did) . It just brings up the none E7 versions of the same tariffs. So if you are currently on E7 that would explain the price difference. The difference is particularly big for me as they have me down as 70% night consumption which is no longer true.

Hello pineapple.

You're right, our quotes are based on past usage. The savings you've made will eventually feed through but, until they do, the overall quoted cost will be skewed towards what happened previously. The more meter readings we have over a 12 to 18 month period, the more accurate our quotes will become.

Hope this explains.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Hi Pineapple, I absolutely agree with you about providers not clearly displaying their unit rates so you can work out the costs yourself, which are way more accurate than their estimates. It drives me nuts and wish Ofcom or some regulatory body would make it a legal requisite. Instead I use cheap enegy clubs comparison site and then scroll to the unit rates given there. I also am on E7 so it makes comparison a little more complicated. I always do the sums myself.

I moved from Eon to Flow last year. Flow by the way are one of the few that actually list their unit rates on their website. But my tariff is coming to an end. It seems there are no really good deals about from any of the providers at them moment, so will just take the hike by going on to their standard tariff (which strangely is no dearer than their new fix) , and cut down even more on my electricity use, whilst keeping an eye for any deals that may come up and will move ship when and if that happens. I thought Eon and their website were pretty efficient and would move back if they could offer a good deal.

Hello elizabeth2015 and sorry you struggled to find the unit rates and standing charges on our website whilst you were with us. Not sure when this was but we've changed the Quote Tool of late. Prices can be seen for each tariff through this tool. Choose continue and then open the 'Review' page. Near the bottom, choose 'Tariff Information Label' and they're in there.

For Economy 7, please select this option before hitting continue. This option will only be available if there's an Economy 7 in place.

Customers can see their current prices by going to the tariff name on the right hand side of the first page when logged in. They're in there.

Apart from this, glad you liked our website generally.

Malc
  • Not sure when this was but we've changed the Quote Tool of late. Prices can be seen for each tariff through this tool. Choose continue and then open the 'Review' page. Near the bottom, choose 'Tariff Information Label' and they're in there.

Hmm, for clarity this is how I found the tariff details:
    1. Choose Gas & Electricity tab on e.on home page;
    2. Click on "view tariff details" at the bottom of the Plan you wish to review;
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Helping you compare" (there's a picture of Malc bottom right silver surfing on a laptop :))
    4. Insert property details/energy requirement (dual fuel or whatever)
    5. Press search.

A list of Plans will appear which are discounted in various ways (paperless billing, monthly direct debit etc) - choose the plan you are after and you get the tariffs.

Tortuous; the tariff details should be linked to the plans ;)
    Mornië utulië
  • Well after many phone calls/emails and complaints I have received a refund from EON of £217.00
    Good result, and I'm a happy bunny. Think a little retail therapy is in order:D;)
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I made this post in another E.ON thread (about rewards going away) but it got missed and fell off the front page so I'm reposting it here:
    A question for Malc or Helena that's just occurred to me.

With me leaving E.ON, what happens to my online account?

Presumably it will be closed, but how soon after the switch? Will I have time to claim any leftover points (if I have any)?

And on the subject, what happens to historical usage data? Again I'd assume it gets deleted for DPA compliance but how soon? If I were to return to E.ON in 6 months would things like the Energy Saving Toolkit start from scratch? It's not an issue either way (the old data would be less useful with a 6 month gap unless the missing info could be backdated) I'm just curious.

I've found the EST quite useful to track the effect of various efficiency efforts around the home, and it's another thing I'll miss.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Less than impressed with them. The people are lovely when you speak to them but constantly having to front a flawed system.
    Been with them 18 months.
    Regular letter addressed to "The Occupier" demanding payment. Every time I've called them been told to ignore them and they know it's not me and they'll make sure the letters stopped. The letters have now become "we're forwarding your account to a collections agency". House was being rented before we bought and the house was on a prepay key meter when we got it so I can only assume it's something left over from that but I've had an account there for 18 months yet the system hasn't realised this and keeps sending out the letters.

Twice in the time I've been with them they've tried to increase my DD to over 8x what I was paying for reasons beyond anyone's comprehension, something to do with gas meter readings was all I could get. Phoned them up and they'd happily reduced it back to previous levels but the system just increased it without anyone actually checking such a ludicrous increase before it went out, needed me to call and query it before they looked at it.

And the elec meter has been it's own fiasco. I can go into details if anyone wants but, short version, due to 18 months of systematically ignoring readings, including those taken by their own readers, because they weren't in line with the estimates I have just been landed with a £990 bill. Initially called suspecting faulty meter and got a named complaints guy. Very much felt he had his fob-me-off answer pre-prepared but when I pointed out a massive flaw in his argument he actually took the time to look into the notes (in spite of having, apparently, "investigated" for a week) and we discovered a history of readings buried in the notes, none of which had been put in the billing system.

I've set up a 2 year payment plan to settle it but it's been too many moments of stress to stay with them. Joined to look to switch, I'll keep settling my account with them steadily over 2 years and go somewhere cheaper with systems that actually work!
  • Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I went on live chat today as I flicked through my electric prepayment meter & saw there was a debt of over £150 on there! I was shocked that I could have accumulated that much debt in 12 months (since I bought the house) when I put £25 a month on there. The advisor was great & said that the debt didnt belong to me & that they would wipe it & also they would refund any money I have paid towards the debt. Will they refund this money to the meter or via cheque?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
    Hmm, for clarity this is how I found the tariff details:
    1. Choose Gas & Electricity tab on e.on home page;
    2. Click on "view tariff details" at the bottom of the Plan you wish to review;
    3. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select "Helping you compare" (there's a picture of Malc bottom right silver surfing on a laptop :))
    4. Insert property details/energy requirement (dual fuel or whatever)
    5. Press search.

A list of Plans will appear which are discounted in various ways (paperless billing, monthly direct debit etc) - choose the plan you are after and you get the tariffs.

Tortuous; the tariff details should be linked to the plans ;)

Hello Lord Baltimore and you're right, that's another way to see our tariff prices. It's a particularly good route for those without a current online account although, as you say, somewhat long-winded.

It's not me silver surfing, though. The gentleman in question has much more hair. I'm more of a shiny surfer. :)

Malc
    Well after many phone calls/emails and complaints I have received a refund from EON of £217.00
    Good result, and I'm a happy bunny. Think a little retail therapy is in order:D;)

Glad we sorted this out in the end CharlieGIRL and you're a happy bunny now. Just sorry it took so long and had to go down our complaints route. Enjoy your retail therapy.

Malc
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback