Left tap running overnight

Options

Comments

• macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If no access to the meter, how on earth do you check your bills and supply meter readings? The LL is obliged to provide you (and the utility co) with access.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • ShaneUK
    ShaneUK Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also - it is impossible to judge/estimate any cost. It of course would depend on how fast/slow the water was trickling. Ie, if it was coming out full pelt for the 12½ hours your were asleep, it would cost a lot, lot more than if it was coming out a fraction of the speed.
  • bobmedley
    bobmedley Posts: 170 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2010 at 12:44PM
    Options
    Oh please bore me. I love things like this.

OK. A 3/4" bath tap typically flows at 0.3l/sec - assume it was left full on for 12.5hrs, so the sum is 0.3 x 60 = 18l per minute x 60 = 1,080l per hour x 12.5hrs = 13,500 litres total

United Utilities (my supplier) would charge £1.374 per 1,000l to deliver and £1.084 to take it away total = £2.458 per 1,000l x 13.5 = £33.18

If not metered, then the cost is zero.

I am not a gas customer so just guessed at 2.9p per kw for that calculation, but the OP can redo the sums with their own figures.

If we assume the boiler was keeping up with the water flow, and the temperature rise needed was from 8 deg c to 60 deg c then the energy needed is *something* like 800kw, that gives 800 x £0.029 = £23.20.

I think that is absolute tops, as I suspect a tap on full would be adding water quicker than the overflow can get rid of it therefore it would have overflowed. Depending on their boiler size I also doubt it could raise the water to 60 deg c quickly enough & on a constant basis especially with winter temp mains water - it would have to be outputting 64kw per hour. An easier assumption is to take the boiler rating (maybe 30kw?) and times that by 12.5 so giving 375kw for example (this just assumes the boiler was running flat out for 12.5 hrs & means the costs are even lower).

The answer for the original question is to put £60 aside and don't do it again.

Besides, as somebody has pointed out leaving the plug in would have been catastrophically more expensive :D
  • serious_saver
    serious_saver Posts: 848 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2010 at 2:54PM
    Options
    bobmedley wrote: »
    OK. A 3/4" bath tap typically flows at 0.3l/sec - assume it was left full on for 12.5hrs, so the sum is 0.3 x 60 = 18l per minute x 60 = 1,080l per hour x 12.5hrs = 13,500 litres total

United Utilities (my supplier) would charge £1.374 per 1,000l to deliver and £1.084 to take it away total = £2.458 per 1,000l x 13.5 = £33.18

If not metered, then the cost is zero.

I am not a gas customer so just guessed at 2.9p per kw for that calculation, but the OP can redo the sums with their own figures.

If we assume the boiler was keeping up with the water flow, and the temperature rise needed was from 8 deg c to 60 deg c then the energy needed is *something* like 800kw, that gives 800 x £0.029 = £23.20.

I think that is absolute tops, as I suspect a tap on full would be adding water quicker than the overflow can get rid of it therefore it would have overflowed. Depending on their boiler size I also doubt it could raise the water to 60 deg c quickly enough & on a constant basis especially with winter temp mains water - it would have to be outputting 64kw per hour. An easier assumption is to take the boiler rating (maybe 30kw?) and times that by 12.5 so giving 375kw for example (this just assumes the boiler was running flat out for 12.5 hrs & means the costs are even lower).

The answer for the original question is to put £60 aside and don't do it again.

Besides, as somebody has pointed out leaving the plug in would have been catastrophically more expensive :D

Thank you. That was really helpful. It's one of those weird things that I've often wondered myself. It's handy to have an idea just how much leaving a tap on can cost. I spent a long time on water rates so we would leave to hose pipe on etc. I can't imagine what it would be like doing that on a meter.
  • serious_saver
    Options
    Oh please bore me. I love things like this.

And me too!
  • confused_soul
    Options
    I'd like to say a really BIG thank you to bobmedley for their reply!!! I'm going try your sums out and replace the cost per 1000l with the price from my service provider.
    Sorry....

You started to run a bath and just walked away with it running with no plug in?

It's really good to see that there are plenty of people out there prepared to post without making a single constructive point. I guess that some are just lucky and have never been ill and tired or made a single mistake!!!
    Bloomin good job you hadn't put the plug in.

I did actually leave the plug in :eek: so I'm surprised it didn't overflow. I guess I was lucky and hopefully it means that my tap has a poor flow so it may have cost me slightly less.

I think I'm going to budget for £80 and be grateful for anything less! It's a mistake I'm never going to make again!!!!!!!
  • totallybonkers
    Options
    Your bath didn't fill up in over 12 hours??!!
    :j Growing Older is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional :j
  • serious_saver
    serious_saver Posts: 848 Forumite
    edited 26 November 2010 at 6:15PM
    Options
    Your bath didn't fill up in over 12 hours??!!

I think what they're trying to say is that the over flow was emptying at the same pace that the bath was filling up. Caused by either a big overflow or slow tap.

*EDIT*

OP is you boiler set on a timer? Mine is set to turn on at specific times for half an hour at a time. You may have been very lucky and had it switch off and restart. Either way it would be sensible to stick with your budget of £80 and see how things turn out.
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options

It's really good to see that there are plenty of people out there prepared to post without making a single constructive point. I guess that some are just lucky and have never been ill and tired or made a single mistake!!!

If it saves you £60 then I'd say it was pretty constructive.

I've run plenty of baths and never once left one running without turning it off; which is why I asked the question.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • confused_soul
    Options
    If it saves you £60 then I'd say it was pretty constructive.

I've run plenty of baths and never once left one running without turning it off; which is why I asked the question.

Do you really think I've done this before? Making the mistake once is enough for me.

You may not have meant it that way but it came across as sarcastic, patronising and judgemental. I apologise for taking it the wrong way. It's the nature of text that you just can't get tone of voice.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure