Utility Warehouse (Telecom Plus) Discussion

Options

Comments

• HalloweenJack
    HalloweenJack Posts: 632 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 August 2011 at 10:14PM
    Options
    obviously you dont understand the way the law works - UW as a company obviously operate within the MLM guidelines , individual salesmen have allready been prosecuted for not working within those guidelines.

its the subtle difference you , yourself do not understand, so please read the link i posted above from the governemnt so you can understand the difference between MLM and a pyramid scheme.
  • HalloweenJack
    Options
    further re your comment about Amway

in the 1979 case of FTC vs Amway , the ruling was that Amway MLM isnt illegal per se but was guilty of misrepresentation of earnings and price fixing.

further in 1986 Amway paid a $100,000 fine for breaching the 1979 ruling regarding advertising of earnings potential - something any MLM company must be careful of.

so theres more than a blanket `the FTC lost` , as Amway also lost
  • keggs
    keggs Posts: 1,037 Forumite
    Options
    further re your comment about Amway

in the 1979 case of FTC vs Amway , the ruling was that Amway MLM isnt illegal per se but was guilty of misrepresentation of earnings and price fixing.

further in 1986 Amway paid a $100,000 fine for breaching the 1979 ruling regarding advertising of earnings potential - something any MLM company must be careful of.

so theres more than a blanket `the FTC lost` , as Amway also lost

But they didn't lose the substantive legal argument, which is what the federal government tried to sue them on. The fact is MLM threaten so called traditional businesses because the MLM works by developing true relationships with its customers by removing all the intermediaries. It is a totally fair and honest system. The Pyramid nonsense occurred because a few horrible people decided they could abuse this 'novel' idea. As a network marketer I am pleased that there are a lot of regulations. They protect me and the the companies I am involved with.

UW is as legal as any other business. If you say otherwise you will have to prove it. Can you and have you got the money to prove it.
  • keggs
    Options
    obviously you dont understand the way the law works - UW as a company obviously operate within the MLM guidelines , individual salesmen have allready been prosecuted for not working within those guidelines.

its the subtle difference you , yourself do not understand, so please read the link i posted above from the governemnt so you can understand the difference between MLM and a pyramid scheme.

I don't need to know how the law works. UW has been trading along with many, many MLM companies in the country. They haven't been taken to court so unti,l they are declared illegal, that's all that matters.
  • HalloweenJack
    Options
    amazing i have no issue with an MLM at all personally, so long as its handled correctly within the law - yet you manage to convince me of your arrogance. dont need to know how the law works

sadly you do - as you sell your product incorrectly and the law you do not wish to understand, will get you personally - not the company you represent , as they allready have the systmes in place , but you get it wrong and its you who will get punished.

and again thats the subtle understanding between an MLM and a pyramid scheme , the way its portrayed and sold - and if done , as shown in the videos , then its a perfect example of proper direct selling.

read the government link about the law.
  • keggs
    edited 10 August 2011 at 12:12AM
    Options
    amazing i have no issue with an MLM at all personally, so long as its handled correctly within the law - yet you manage to convince me of your arrogance. dont need to know how the law works

sadly you do - as you sell your product incorrectly and the law you do not wish to understand, will get you personally - not the company you represent , as they allready have the systmes in place , but you get it wrong and its you who will get punished.

and again thats the subtle understanding between an MLM and a pyramid scheme , the way its portrayed and sold - and if done , as shown in the videos , then its a perfect example of proper direct selling.

read the government link about the law.

To be honest, I am at a loss as to what point you are trying to make in all this discussion. You say you don't have an issue with MLM, so why discuss it. Provided I am not knowingly getting involved in a business which is illegal, why should I need to know how the law works. Law works on the basis of probabilities anyway. So even you say that UW is breaking the law, that can only be tested in a court and a judgement handed down. Even then it isn't the end of the matter.

I haven't personally had any problem so far, and I don't think anyone else has in any MLM company I am aware of. So, why are you so concerned?
  • MillicentBystander
    Options
    HalloweenJack, I think it significant you are getting absolutely no back up from arch UW haters Cardew and Quentin. Doesn't that tell you something?
  • keggs
    Options
    HalloweenJack, I think it significant you are getting absolutely no back up from arch UW haters Cardew and Quentin. Doesn't that tell you something?

Very interesting point. HalloweenJack obviously knows what he's talking about. It's an interesting discussion, but I'm not sure what the relevance is.
  • HalloweenJack
    Options
    i dont have an issue with UW - what i have an issue with is pyramid schemes; and as you`ve said UW has been trading since 1997 , and sucesfully using the MLM business model. if others dont like UW as a company, for whatever reason , thats their choices.

as a company UW will are happily within the law , but , individual sales reps have been prosecuted for going outside the law , which is the subtle difference between an MLM and a pyramid scheme, and tbh this could be about any of the MLM companies (or work from home).

on a final point , as im sure you youself can testify , some of the other MLM companies are far `pushier` in required monthly sales than others (ann summers being 1 ofc)
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    This is not a business forum.

Nevertheless, UW reps are happy to use this forum to promote/spam us the "business opportunity" that they offer - and keggs of course says it's his only reason he comes here (to use the pm system for recruiting) and even is happy to break the rules, risk a banning and use the forum to ask for pms!
    keggs wrote: »
    , if you genuinely want to know more pm me.

You can't have it both ways.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure