Cladding of a combustible nature

Comments

• terzinho86 - thinking further about this, if the lender's approach is to incorporate all buildings over 18m having their wall systems tested (even those completely without cladding), then I think we stand to see a complete slow down in the mortgage market for those types of properties. Our building was constructed in 2013 so the wall specification information should be available. But what of those buildings made decades ago where there will be limited information about whats behind those brick walls?

Only last weekend that hotel in Eastbourne went up in flames. It was a listed building and a brick construction but the inside was clearly combustible. Where do Lenders/MHCLG draw the line?

Surely it is to take reasonable precautions as to what may or may not be very combustible aka ACM and HPL cladding.
  • Hi risky84, I think this is exactly what's happening at the moment.

Cavity wall is different from brick rainscreen cladding, as I understand.

Cavity wall is insulation within two leaves of masonry or cement. Brick rainscreen cladding there is the brick, a cavity, but no second leaf of masonry.

It's an issue of unimaginable proportions, in my view.
  • ryski84
    ryski84 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 27 November 2019 at 7:01PM
    hi terzinho86 - I've never heard of rainscreen brick cladding before but as I understand it, our building is standard masonry with two leaves of brick/concrete. The MHCLG statement is required by virtue of the height of the building. This is has caused the hold up and as you rightly point out, could cause a complete slow down in the mortgage market on essentially 'safe' buildings of limited combustibility.

It is beggars belief that if a building is 1cm under 18m then Lenders would deem the property safe. The listed hotel in Eastbourne - The Claremont that burned down at the weekend was 4 stories high but they failed to contain the fire. Nevertheless, a lender would seemingly have no issues lending simply because it is below 18m.

I will keep the thread updated on my progress with L&Q. The flat is vacant and is costing us £900pcm to keep vacant. I complained to L&Q on 6th November and have heard nothing. They aren't even following their own complaints procedure i.e response within ten working days. L&Q have 90,000+ homes and I am afraid I am being caught up in a watershed moment. I have made it clear to them that all I need is the wall specification and I can instruct the independent fire engineer to inspect the building myself. L&Q can't do this all by themselves, there has to be an independent person go to check. It is frightening that they are so ill-equipped and unprofessional. Let's not forget that the expert advice note was issued in December 2018. It is only because lenders have taken a new stance that building owners/landlords are now having to consider it.
  • fyi for all those following this post

https://www.socialhousing.co.uk/news/industry-group-forms-to-solve-advice-note-14-issues-64432

Industry group forms to solve Advice Note 14 issues

News04 Dec 2019by Robyn Wilson

An industry-wide group has been working behind the scenes to come up with a solution “that steps away” from government building safety guidance that has started to slow down and even halt property transactions
  • We are stuck in this crisis at the moment and its a nightmare. My strong advice to anyone buying a flat at the moment is to not buy a flat that has not been fully fire checked and approved. Otherwise you are potentially dropping into a money pit situation.

We bought a flat in Leeds last September and currently rent it out. The block was built in 2006 and is in a lovely situation but a fire safety audit that took place last month revealed issues with cladding (not the same as Grenfell so no fund to replace available), wooden balconies and insulation. The leaseholders were told that unless a waking watch was put in place and a new fire alarm system installed that the building would have to be closed. The waking watch is now costing £4.5k a month and it is guesstimated based on similar issues in other nearby blocks that the cost by the time all the remedial work is done will run to £20-£30k per leasehold. Individual leaseholders are expected to pay rather than main leaseholder. Whats worse is that it was also concluded that the block did not reach the then fire safety standards when originally built. Its all a nightmare. We are all expected to pay via our service charges being raised.

We are lucky in that we own the place in full but many people rely on mortgages. In the meantime the apartments are virtually unsellable - the service charges will rise exponentially, mortgage companies and insurance companies wont touch and solicitors are advising buyers against purchasing.

There is a lobby group that I would urge anyone else in this situation to keep in contact with https://www.insidehousing.co.uk/insight/insight/end-our-cladding-scandal-campaign-61166
  • I think there has been some movement now in the discussions with RICS, BSA and other industry bodies. There is a new process to take that lenders are going to adopt rather than asking for the MHCLG certificate.

As I'm a new user it won't let me share the link. Google - inside housing advice note 14 new process

all the best and fingers crossed.
  • There are news a bit all over the place. In this link there's the actual PDF with the certificate:

https://www.ukfinance.org.uk/policy-and-guidance/reports-publications/external-wall-fire-review
  • hi123
    hi123 Posts: 269 Forumite
    We have been stuck in process of buying for 6months being strung along by management company and estate agent
    Yesterday got an.update that for platinum riverside Greenwich fure testing done in sep 19, results may take till march 2020 to get
    Having paid solicitors and survey costs looks like will have to write them.off and move on
  • I'm a potential buyer of a flat above 18m high and containing a small percentage of cladding (non ACM), and so far I wasn't able to have my mortgage approved.
    Assuming the seller can provide this Form EWS1, I'm wondering what could be the impact for me in the future if my mortgage is approved due to the Form EWS1 and I purchase this flat without having the document reguired by the MHCLG Guidance

Is the new External Wall Fire Review submitted by RICS, Building Societies Association and UK Finance meant to replace the MHCLG Guidance?

I understand that the Form EWS1 is a reassurance for lenders but what does it mean really mean for leaseholder? Will the building still have to comply to the MHCLG Guidance?

Also, can a building be classified A1 on the Form EWS1 but still some work must be carried out to be inline with the MHCLG Guidance and be classified as "safe"?

Thanks
  • Does anyone have any updates on how the cladding situation has advanced? In the end I had to pull out of the sale in October and have now rented out the flat. The Housing Association have allowed me to do so for one year so hopefully things will change and it will be sellable again.

I contact the managing agent yesterday for an update and was just told they are still waiting. Very depressing.

What is the best way to stay informed about this and also to keep pressure on the managing agent and housing association?

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport