'Red Spotted Hanky' introducing new fee's on bookings.

Options

Comments

• A_Flock_Of_Sheep
    Options
    Indeed it is for your requirements. I'm very jealous of your lifestyle :-)

It's called semi retirement. I'm an old bit of mutton!

I am also surprised that for an money saving website the delightful subject of Rail Rovers offering value for money isn't discussed more:

For £70 you can have Freedom of the North West which is valid for a period of 8 days in which you can use 4 of those 8 days - so you don't need to use it daily. Covers rail travel from Dumfries down to Warrington.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/rangers_and_rovers.aspx
  • SWS1
    SWS1 Posts: 7 Forumite
    Options
    I had to change my Advance tickets with FGW a few months ago. I paid the (slightly) increased prices and the admin fees. Then I made a complete !!!! up by turning up for my train at the wrong time (too late). I had to buy new tickets at on-the-day prices for the next train. The clerk I got them from was sympathetic but couldn't do anything (like letting me just pay the difference). But he did advise me to send my unused tickets and tale-of-woe to FGW Customer Services. They expressed sympathy for my case - and refunded my unused tickets (in the form of rail vouchers) as a "goodwill gesture". They didn't have to do this, so I was very pleased and grateful. That's good customer service!
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    InA wrote: »
    Does anyone know if RSH have also removed short distance journeys (under £10)? Tried to book yesterday and although the scheduled trains were all present and correct in the timetables section of the site, I kept getting a message telling me no fares could be found! Tried again with a long distance journey and had no problem.

Just tried to book a local return ticket costing £1.85 with a railcard and had no problems apart from the fact that it added on the £1 booking fee.

I have a decent credit balance on my account with them through purchasing through Tesco Clubcard but in this instance I'll pick up a ticket from the station and pay cash.
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What ever happened to that novel idea of using the station booking office?

I still prefer that route and it keeps railway staff employed.

Granted I don't think you can buy the "advance fare you can only use the train specified" ticket but that doesn't bother me as I prefer a more flexible saver ticket as I am not disciplined enough to be at a station by a certain time, train and so on. I do have a railcard though giving me 33% off.

If a fare is available on-line then it is available at the station booking office (with a very few minor exceptions). The problem is that while you can spend ages on-line looking for a bargain fare, the booking office clerk is unlikely to conduct a detailed search for you. However, what I have done before now is find the precise date, time and fare that I require and then bought the ticket at a station.
  • giddyup
    giddyup Posts: 21 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I book trains via Hull Trains go via https://www.imutual.co.uk to get
    @ 2% cashback
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    giddyup wrote: »
    I book trains via Hull Trains go via www.imutual.co.uk to get
    @ 2% cashback
    Topcashback do 3.15% cashback for First Hull Trains
  • giddyup
    giddyup Posts: 21 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    sorry did mean 3.1 - ordinary topcashback is 3.03
  • skaterboy
    Options
    Tried to find out how to formally close my account with RSH, but could not locate a suitable page or option.

Emailed them with my details, and was told that it can only be done via email, and would take a week or so to perform.

Bit of a pain, but just a small way of showing my dissatisfaction.

I'd hate other companies to think its ok to start charging for something that was previously free.

Anyone else want to email to close your account? Of course make sure you have no vouchers or rewards on your account first!

Cheers
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    giddyup wrote: »
    sorry did mean 3.1 - ordinary topcashback is 3.03

There is a caveat on Topcashback not present on the other sites AFAIK saying "applies to First Hull Trains bookings only".

Has anyone successfully tried it on TCB for other journeys?
  • miller
    miller Posts: 1,630 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I fell foul once on TCB with East Midlands Trains by combining an EMT journey with another journey with a different TOC and only got paid the lower rate overall (EMT journeys attract more).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure