ESA Doc's certificate

Merry xmas and happy 2017 all MSE'rs

As I consider claiming ESA whilst giving up working full time.

What is the doctors certicate required.

I have MS since 2012/2013 awaiting medicine to be realeased 2017.

Unfortunately the office envoirment has become unworkable for some time.
Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb

Comments

• 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To claim ESA - You first need to contact DWP and take it from there !
  • Dandytf
    Dandytf Posts: 4,812 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    50Twuncle wrote: »
    To claim ESA - You first need to contact DWP and take it from there !

Thanks for your advice.

Noticed earlier dwp not open until 4th Jan.

Guess I'll give DWP a call.

Any idea what the doc certificate is mentioned online@gov.uk
    Replenished CRA Reports.2015 Zoe i nav -67-131 miles top charge. Savings depleted. VM Stream tv M250 Volted to M350 then M500 since returned to 1gb
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Thanks for your advice.

Noticed earlier dwp not open until 4th Jan.

Guess I'll give DWP a call.

Any idea what the doc certificate is mentioned online@gov.uk

It's just a normal sick line. As you're working you won't go straight to claiming ESA unless you resign which is never a good idea. You're best going to your doctor and being signed off sick from work. If your work only give you SSP you may be able to claim top up benefits like housing benefit or council tax benefit while on sick pay.

Once you've exhausted your SSP allowance you'll be given a form from your work to let you claim ESA. At this stage you'll likely be let go on the grounds that you're unlikely to return to work. Once you claim ESA you'll be on an assessment rate until you attend a medical assessment and then hopefully assigned to a group when you'll be back paid the difference between the assessment rate and your group rate. This could take months depending on where you live.

Don't rely on it all going to plan straight away. With MS in particular the lapsing/remitting types can struggle to get through without an appeal as the assessor may see you on a good day and report that your symptoms aren't severe. If you go to appeal it can take over a year in some areas before you are assigned to a group. Some people will be forced to claim job seekers in between being knocked back and having their appeal heard. If this happens to you come back on here and someone will talk you through that process.
  • Dandytf
    Thanks excellent advice.

I have MS nurse appt 1st week Jan and MS doc May at hospital.

I was until recently relapsing remitting MS type though since 4rth MRI scan since primary progressive.

Don't think ssp or jsa will cover mortgage and living costs, I have PIP since 2013.
  • Dandytf
    This part is most important
    It's just a normal sick line. As you're working you won't go straight to claiming ESA unless you resign which is never a good idea.

Considering I,m currently suspended could I resign and claim ESA?
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    You could, but as Glaswejen said it's better not to. Partly from a financial position - you accrue holiday pay while you're sick. Also because if you only qualify for contributions based and are put in the work related activity group it's limited to a year, so it's better to start that clock as late as possible.

Whether you qualify for income or contribution based depends on household income and savings, and NI contributions in the relevent years.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Since you are currently suspended it does seem that this is more of an employment issue than a benefits one.

Are you aware that ESA is only £73.10 per week? Since you have a mortgage then you will not get any help with this unless you are eligible for income based ESA and even then you would have to wait for 39 weeks? You may get some help with council tax if you are eligible (savings less than £16000 and no other income)

It might be better to see the outcome of the suspension and what decision your employer makes as regards your employment.

It is not clear whether you are saying that you are no longer able to work at all with your illness or whether it is just at this particular job?

Can you expand a little so we can help more?
  • Dandytf
    Thanks all for your advice.

My speech is being affected as I mentioned last MRI scan approx 1-2 months ago.

Having a call centre advisor role since 1999 I was to have a chair purchased and setup in work.

Unfortantely prior to my recent suspension.

I'm currently receiving full pay though what happened in the working environment will no doubt result in dismissal.

I mentioned to MS doc Atos etc past few years find it very difficult when approached or expected to move from my desk multiple times per day.

I would certainly consider finding part time work if required with esa if possible.

Website turn2us calculation total as follows.

Mortgage interest support 52.60 p/week
    ESA 134 p/week
    Council tax reduction 26 p//week

+ existing pip 307 p/month
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I don't think you can have sick pay and part time earnings. If you are capable of part time work, you are not 'sick'enough for sick pay
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Dandytf wrote: »
    Thanks all for your advice.

My speech is being affected as I mentioned last MRI scan approx 1-2 months ago.

Having a call centre advisor role since 1999 I was to have a chair purchased and setup in work.

Unfortantely prior to my recent suspension.

I'm currently receiving full pay though what happened in the working environment will no doubt result in dismissal.

I mentioned to MS doc Atos etc past few years find it very difficult when approached or expected to move from my desk multiple times per day.

I would certainly consider finding part time work if required with esa if possible.

Website turn2us calculation total as follows.

Mortgage interest support 52.60 p/week
    ESA 134 p/week
    Council tax reduction 26 p//week

+ existing pip 307 p/month

You won't get the mortgage interest support for 39 weeks after you become eligible for help. The support is also only on the original mortgage and won't usually be granted on any second mortgages loans on the house, something that may or may not affect you.

That ESA looks like an amount for someone in a group, you'll only be paid the 70 odd pounds while waiting to be assessed. Your partners income will also be taken into account.

If your partner isn't working and you get daily living component of PIP it might be better getting her to claim carers allowance and then income support and add you to her income support claim. I would still advise you keep work going as long as you can as you'll accrue holiday and keep the clock from starting on any ESA claim.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure