Green, ethical, energy issues in the news

Comments

• michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Would it only be for those with micro generation or would you be able to package it with e7 and it would again be a way for home owners with a bit of capital to make a nice profit?
    I think....
  • Dave_Fowler
    Dave_Fowler Posts: 612 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    michaels wrote: »
    Would it only be for those with micro generation or would you be able to package it with e7 and it would again be a way for home owners with a bit of capital to make a nice profit?

And the owners of power generating stations built to provide power at peak times don't make a profit?

Dave F
    Solar PV System 1: 2.96kWp South+8 degrees. Roof 38 degrees. 'Normal' system
    Solar PV System 2: 3.00kWp South-4 degrees. Roof 28 degrees. SolarEdge system
    EV car, PodPoint charger
    Lux LXP 3600 ACS + 6 x 2.4kWh Aoboet LFP 2400 battery storage. Installed Feb 2021
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 April 2017 at 11:00AM
    Hi

Can't see how anyone could make a profit out of a scheme with that kind of structure considering that there'd be a cap specifically to prevent it and individuals would provide the initial capital funding - for example ....

A (say) 13.5kWh system installed for £6350 would attract a potential £6750(500*13.5) of support, but the cap would limit this to £3175(6350/2) to be paid quarterly over 7 years ....

... However, someone purchasing their system from an opportunist rip-off supplier may be offered a smaller system with just 2kWh of storage for the same kind of price, in which case the support would be £1000(500*2) over 7 years, the cap wouldn't apply and therefore the integrity of the funding would be maintained ...

Of course, such a domestic scale funding scheme would be confined by various other criteria, maybe these would link the scheme's maximum storage capacity directly to the microgeneration capacity, maybe in the case of grid-tied pv this could logically be around 4kWh of usable storage per kWp of installed pv capacity ...

Regarding the E7/E10 overnight tariffs .... of course, utilising overnight 'cheap' tariff supply to charge the batteries in the winter would supplement lower pv generation and therefore maintain the ability to reduce peak demand - it's completely down to the capability of the unit's management system and how it's set-up ... it could even be a further condition of scheme access ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • michaels
    michaels Posts: 27,993 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thinking about it - if we do need a subsidy to help energy supply and demand move into balance I would sooner it is paid even to the undeserving middle classes than to the French state Nuclear reactor company....
    I think....
  • zeupater
    Thinking about it - if we do need a subsidy to help energy supply and demand move into balance I would sooner it is paid even to the undeserving middle classes than to the French state Nuclear reactor company....
    Hi

True, but more than that it's a relatively inexpensive prospect. The £3billion(max) scheme mentioned earlier would result from almost all of the current pv installation base joining the scheme with 13.5kWh systems each capable of providing a peak output of 5kW. Essentially that would provide a potential to temporarily provide a maximum peak output of just under 5GW, so not insignificant considering that it's higher than HinckleyC ...

In reality, take-up would initially still be pretty slow ... I'd be surprised if take-up was over 20% of those with installed pv systems within 5 years and average capacity was over 5kWh, which would likely result in a scheme cost of <£500million giving a reasonable daily peak power demand reduction ranging from 200MW to 500MW ...

As mentioned earlier, all speculation, but speculation based on carefully reading between the lines of various reports such as the BEIS one referenced by Mart, taking special regard to the referenced sources as they often prove to be more interesting than the reports themselves ...

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,754 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

Looking on the bright side, storage, especially if targeted towards the evening peak, would reduce the average price of leccy for everyone by peak lopping.

The NG does (or should?) choose cheaper leccy first, so any reduction in demand at any given time removes (or prevents) supply from higher priced sources.

Subsidies for storage might not be true subsidies at all, but rather a pre-payment by govt/leccy bodies based on future national savings. :think:
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    Looking on the bright side, storage, especially if targeted towards the evening peak, would reduce the average price of leccy for everyone by peak lopping.
    There are those who think that in a few years roof top solar and battery storage will cheaper than distribution cost per kWh. Remind me, why do we need Hinkley Point C?
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • warrenb
    warrenb Posts: 162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I am literally sitting here waiting for a suitable battery solution within price to come along and I would bite your hand off to get it. I am still quite tempted by the Growatt SP2000.

I like the fact it is DC side, so just plug and play and you don't loose any FIT payments with it, because what doesn't get to the meter during the day , will as the battery feeds the inverter after dark.
    Living in supposedly sunny Kent
    14*285 JA Solar Percium Panels
    Solis 4kw inverter
    ESE facing with a 40 degree slope
  • zeupater
    NigeWick wrote: »
    .... Remind me, why do we need Hinkley Point C?
    .... because we tend to elect clueless politicians & employ naive civil servants, both groups having a much lower incentive (possibly even intellectual ability!) to perform their roles effectively than those they interact with ... trade bodies, lobby groups, multinationals etc ... after-all when did you last hear of a politician or civil servant losing their job as opposed to being moved aside or promoted when they underperformed ...

Standard Operating Procedure ... problem, indecision, report, long grass, bigger problem, indecision, report, panic, consult vested interests, comply, spend, spend more, report, panic, spend even more, achieve solution, pat self on back ... it's repeated time and again, what's more, the vested interest groups know this and have learned to manipulate the existence and scale of the original problem as well as to steer the consultation process towards their favoured position - and of course, to (knowingly) hugely underestimate original costs in order to gain competitive advantage over alternatives only to reap rewards later through introducing 'in project' uncertainty (/panic) ...

HinckleyC ? ... there's a very valid argument that just within the time-span of the latest round of reviews the advent of LED lightbulbs & TVs has reduced grid-demand to an extent where the problem which HinckleyC was to address has simply vanished .... so that probably leaves the project file and all of it's associated costs in the 'political vanity' cabinet ....

Z
    B)
  • zeupater
    warrenb wrote: »
    I am literally sitting here waiting for a suitable battery solution within price to come along and I would bite your hand off to get it. I am still quite tempted by the Growatt SP2000.

I like the fact it is DC side, so just plug and play and you don't loose any FIT payments with it, because what doesn't get to the meter during the day , will as the battery feeds the inverter after dark.
    Hi

Any 'round trip' DC battery efficiency or charge degradation losses won't be registered through the TGM, therefore you'd actually lose FiT payments, whereas, if storage was on the grid side of the TGM this wouldn't be the case although there'd certainly be an additional AC inverter related efficiency loss.

The main advantage to AC side solutions is that they can effectively be 'plug&play', effectively being totally independent of existing microgeneration technologies (ie ideal for retrofit), can co-exist with multiple technologies, or simply operated to decouple demand from supply to address future peak-demand punitive tariffs resulting from the introduction of HHM.

HTH
    Z
    B)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure