Mercedes A Class

2»

Comments

• Thanks Ian,

When when you say creeping could kill the clutch, do you mean that with a dct box, you should always put it in park at traffic lights, on a hill etc, rather than have your foot on the brakes?

I’ve only ever been used to a ‘proper’ automatic, which I believe is common in BMW’s but have heard horror stories with DCT boxes. I guess i’m Just trying to work out whether that is likely to cause an issue before purchasing!

The other thing i’m struggling to work out is how to tell which type of auto box a car has. The options have been narrowed down to (other than the A class) a BMW 1 series (which I presume is a proper automatic?), a Mini Cooper or an Audi A1. Are these DCT boxes or proper automatics?
    They are all DCT.

You are fine with the foot on the brake, however, in a real auto, you can sit on a hill balancing on the accelerator (or at least at idle the car may hold itself). Similarly, if you are in a motorway queue, you might be grinding along at less than 5mph - in a classic auto, you sit on the brake and let the auto fight against the brakes to drift along, modulating the brake to control your speed. In a DCT, like a manual, there is a speed below which you have to ride the clutch to move slowly. In a manual you would probably repeatedly engage and disengage the clutch to move along slowly, whereas a DCT doesn't do that, it will just allow the clutch to slip continuously, which can lead to overheating. This is a bigger problem when using DCTs as tow cars and doing low speed manoeuvring. Some DCTs may try and overcome this by being quicker to engage, leading to a rougher more juddery ride.

Basically, you have to remember that you are driving a manual clutch with automatic changing and treat the clutch accordingly - but the car will allow you to drive it as if it is a traditional auto sloppy box and in extreme circumstances will allow you to destroy the clutch.
  • They are all DCT.

You are fine with the foot on the brake, however, in a real auto, you can sit on a hill balancing on the accelerator (or at least at idle the car may hold itself). Similarly, if you are in a motorway queue, you might be grinding along at less than 5mph - in a classic auto, you sit on the brake and let the auto fight against the brakes to drift along, modulating the brake to control your speed. In a DCT, like a manual, there is a speed below which you have to ride the clutch to move slowly. In a manual you would probably repeatedly engage and disengage the clutch to move along slowly, whereas a DCT doesn't do that, it will just allow the clutch to slip continuously, which can lead to overheating. This is a bigger problem when using DCTs as tow cars and doing low speed manoeuvring. Some DCTs may try and overcome this by being quicker to engage, leading to a rougher more juddery ride.

Basically, you have to remember that you are driving a manual clutch with automatic changing and treat the clutch accordingly - but the car will allow you to drive it as if it is a traditional auto sloppy box and in extreme circumstances will allow you to destroy the clutch.

Thanks Ian,

Is the 1 Series a DCT as well? Is that different from the 3 Series? Always thought mine had an 8 speed torque converter, which is great.
    Northern Ireland club member No 382 :j
  • IanMSpencer
    IanMSpencer Posts: 1,517 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks Ian,

Is the 1 Series a DCT as well? Is that different from the 3 Series? Always thought mine had an 8 speed torque converter, which is great.
    1 series is "Steptronic" which I understand is DCT:

http://www.globaltechnologyblog.com/automotive/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-bmws-steptronic-transmission/

Not sure when the 3 series went to DCT but I think current models have switched to DCT.
  • 1 series is "Steptronic" which I understand is DCT:

http://www.globaltechnologyblog.com/automotive/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-bmws-steptronic-transmission/

Not sure when the 3 series went to DCT but I think current models have switched to DCT.

This is all very confusing! The BMW brochure states that the Steptronic gearbox has 2 clutches whilst wikipedia states that the steptronic box used on the 1 and 3 series is a ZF 8HP, which is a torque converter box...

Then, various other websites try to explain the differences between a DCT and Steptronic box, but none of it makes any sense!
  • IanMSpencer
    This is all very confusing! The BMW brochure states that the Steptronic gearbox has 2 clutches whilst wikipedia states that the steptronic box used on the 1 and 3 series is a ZF 8HP, which is a torque converter box...

Then, various other websites try to explain the differences between a DCT and Steptronic box, but none of it makes any sense!

I suspect BMW liked the name Steptronic and have used it as a generic marketing name for a variety of different auto boxes. Given that manufacturers often source boxes from other manufacturers who evolve their products outside the timeframe of model changes and also manufacturers like to put new tech into run out models to get the bugs out of them before new model launches it is quite difficult to track.
  • Thanks all.

Does anyone have any experience with negotiating with car brokers such as carwow etc? Will they be willing to move on the prices or do they treat it as the final offer and the customer can either accept or walk away?

Also, has anyone traded in through them? What do the prices tend to be like I.e. do they offer cheap prices on new cars but subsidise it by offer rubbish prices in the trade in?
  • Bit of a left field suggestion but the Infiniti Q30 is mechanically similar to the A Class in fact it uses engines gearbox trim etc They are built on the same platform so might be worth a quick look before you commit to the Merc.
    Regarding the deal it's swings and roundabouts in my experience. I have used the Car Wow price to negotiate with a dealer. Sometimes it's worth selling the car to a trader or webuyanycar if you save enough the other end. Conversely if they give over the odds on your p/X it is really just a discount off the new one.
  • IanMSpencer
    Thanks all.

Does anyone have any experience with negotiating with car brokers such as carwow etc? Will they be willing to move on the prices or do they treat it as the final offer and the customer can either accept or walk away?

Also, has anyone traded in through them? What do the prices tend to be like I.e. do they offer cheap prices on new cars but subsidise it by offer rubbish prices in the trade in?
    I used an Internet dealer to get a price and then went direct to Audi who matched the price. We talked PCP but then went with the discounted purchase price (which they are committed to because APR is quoted against that and if the purchase price is different for cash then the APR is not valid).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure