Complaints to wheelchair service

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of making a complaint towards an NHS wheelchair service or if anyone has any advice here?

Last year I was provided with a manual wheelchair, I was firstly given a chair that I was unable to reach the wheels on, so could not propell myself. They made some changes to the chair so I could just about touch the wheels but the bioengineer advised it wasn't really ideal. I'm still unable to propell the wheelchair and have to rely on other people all the time. My main issue is at work, I'm unable to get around the office by myself and have to disrupt other people's work and beg them to help me which makes me feel dreadful.

The wheelchair service advised that because I don't use the chair in the house they wouldn't normally provide a powered chair. I would use the chair in the house if it fitted through the doors in my property but it doesn't.

I've also tried getting Access to work to help but my employer is expected to pay £1000 and I'm expected to pay £2000 towards the cost of it (which I can't afford to pay upfront - you can't pay this up). It would also only be covered for warranty repairs for a short period and I'd then have to fund any repairs not covered by the warranty and after this period.

I am currently staying in a job I don't want to be in because I'm unable to get to interviews independently and am unable to go out on my own (and very rarely with help as other people struggle to push me in the wheelchair too).

I feel like I need to take the next step with a formal complaint to the wheelchair service, which I've not done yet so if anyone has any tips on doing this or any other advice then fire it at me!

Thanks!

Comments

• w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    If it's a simple manual chair and it's interferring with work your best bet is probably to buy your own, they don't have to cost a fortune, mine was £300 I think and does the job (I had a wheelchair service one initially 20 years ago)
  • Hey, my issue is that I'm unable to propell a manual wheelchair myself. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • Diamandis wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of making a complaint towards an NHS wheelchair service or if anyone has any advice here?

Last year I was provided with a manual wheelchair, I was firstly given a chair that I was unable to reach the wheels on, so could not propell myself. They made some changes to the chair so I could just about touch the wheels but the bioengineer advised it wasn't really ideal. I'm still unable to propell the wheelchair and have to rely on other people all the time. My main issue is at work, I'm unable to get around the office by myself and have to disrupt other people's work and beg them to help me which makes me feel dreadful.

The wheelchair service advised that because I don't use the chair in the house they wouldn't normally provide a powered chair. I would use the chair in the house if it fitted through the doors in my property but it doesn't.

I've also tried getting Access to work to help but my employer is expected to pay £1000 and I'm expected to pay £2000 towards the cost of it (which I can't afford to pay upfront - you can't pay this up). It would also only be covered for warranty repairs for a short period and I'd then have to fund any repairs not covered by the warranty and after this period.

I am currently staying in a job I don't want to be in because I'm unable to get to interviews independently and am unable to go out on my own (and very rarely with help as other people struggle to push me in the wheelchair too).

I feel like I need to take the next step with a formal complaint to the wheelchair service, which I've not done yet so if anyone has any tips on doing this or any other advice then fire it at me!

Thanks!

Our wheelchair service no longer provides a wheelchair at all, unless you need to use it inside the house. My son just about qualified because he is still in full time education (special needs course) and is (just about!) under 20.

If you have the enhanced mobility rate of DLA or PIP, I believe that you can exchange this for an electric wheelchair.
  • Wow, that's terrible. The NHS say that an assessment should take into consideration physical and social needs, as well as the environment in which you live and work so I don't see how that's applied in your area.

I do have enhanced PIP but we need the motobility for a car that's suitable for my needs so I'm unable to get a wheelchair too.
  • Before our grandson died he had a powered wheelchair provided by a charity, just a thought OP might be worth investigating?
  • GlasweJen
    GlasweJen Posts: 7,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Would you be able to self propel a different chair or does your disability affect your arms/stamina?

Have you had physio to teach you to use your chair properly?
  • venison wrote: »
    Before our grandson died he had a powered wheelchair provided by a charity, just a thought OP might be worth investigating?

Sorry for your loss. I'll certainly keep an eye out for anywhere that might be able to help.
  • GlasweJen wrote: »
    Would you be able to self propel a different chair or does your disability affect your arms/stamina?

Have you had physio to teach you to use your chair properly?

I've had two chairs and couldn't propel either of them. My disability affects my arms and legs, I just can't move my own weight with my arms.

The occupational therapist showed me how to use it properly (or as properly as I can) but I just can't do it.
  • wheelchair service won't give you one unless its the final solution, I had a brain hemorrhage last year that left me paralyzed down my left side, so I could not walk or use my left arm to propel myself but rather than give me a powered chair I was fitted with a one-handed self-propelling chair ,these cost in some cases as much as a powered chair, the logic behind it being that because of my age (43) giving me an electric chair would slow my recovery and they were probably correct as im back on my feet and dont use a wheelchair in the house anymore, but I did a lot of research on buying a powered chair and your only using it for work or short distances you could pick one up for £500 on ebay easly.
  • w06
    w06 Posts: 917 Forumite
    Doesn't solve the problem but if you've a manual chair with big wheels (ie the type that the user is able to propel themselves, if they can). Making sure that the tyres are blown up to their correct pressure makes a huge difference.

I can't push myself far but having the tyres well inflated makes the difference between me and the person with me having a bit of independence, for example manouevering a few yards within a shop, and being too breathless to do any of the pushing.

spending £10 on a track pump and tyres being inflated to the pressure it says on their wall (65psi in my case) worth every penny.

If you're not totally dependent on a chair you wouldn't qualify for a powered chair from our wheelchair service either
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure