Thailand/Phuket/ islands advice please.

Options
Looking to go away around 13th May. With my daughter and 9 year old grandson. Can anyone recommend nice places to stay with activities and excursions suitable for us. Don’t mind a two centre holiday.
Be grateful for any advice please.

TIA

Comments

• Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Plenty of threads on here about Thailand if you do a search.

Most important factors are how long you want to go away, what your budget is and what you want to do there.

If travelling with a 9 year old then I would probably avoid the main Patong resort in Phuket as there will be some things unsuitable for young eyes.

There are other islands and beaches which are much quieter and cheaper. On Phuket these include Kamala and Kata (see http://www.phuket.com/island/beaches.htm) or the area around Krabi (http://www.krabi-hotels.com/seedo/beaches.htm)

If you only have a week to play with then I'd head straight to your destination. With 10-14 days, a stopover in Bangkok is always a good idea.
  • DesperateScousewife
    Options
    Thank you. We are looking at going to Koh Samui. Maybe going to Kao
    Lake and Elephant Hills. Never been before so looking for tips re good hotels, excursions etc. Even Recommendation of a good travel agen5 to organise it.

TIA
  • philipjg
    Options
    Hi

You could book this independently pretty easily and there are some good local companies that can help with transfers etc.

My suggestion would be

Fly to Phuket
    Transfer from Phuket to Khao Lak - quieter beach resort and on the way to Khao Sok
    Either do a day trip to Khao Sok from Khao lak or stay for a couple of days
    Transfer back to Khao Lak and then on to Phuket
  • Doshwaster
    Doshwaster Posts: 6,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. We are looking at going to Koh Samui. Maybe going to Kao
    Lake and Elephant Hills. Never been before so looking for tips re good hotels, excursions etc. Even Recommendation of a good travel agen5 to organise it.

No need for a travel agent to book it all. Doing it yourself is half the fun.

Ko Samui is a decent choice for an island as it's not too busy but not too dead (and it has the nicest airport in the world). Chaweng beach is the busiest with Lamai and Bophut quieter but the island is small enough to get around easily. Just make sure that you avoid the period around a full moon as flight and hotel prices go up as everyone descends for the parties.

The next decision is whether you fly to Bangkok just to connect or spend a few days there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure