MSE News: Just 80 of the UK's 8m+ smart meters...

Options
2»

Comments

• Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Carrot007 wrote: »
    Indeed, but 99% or people will no do this. Hence the need for smart meters. Over half of which are likely upgradable to smets 2 if you stay with your current supplier long enough.

Gee, guess I must be in the special 1% then, huh? If others cannot be bothered to take the slightest responsibility for themselves, their actions or their energy usage, it's their problem, not mine. I reserve the right to have nothing to do with so-called smart meters and fail to see why I should have to pay for them either directly or indirectly through increased tariff charges.
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 6 February 2018 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Anthorn wrote: »
    Not all that happy BG customers if I'm not unique. My problem is that I moved into a property already served by BG prepayment smart meters which were remotely switched to credit mode when I switched supplier to Scottish Power. According to BG when we switch they set the meter to credit mode and then the new supplier will fir their own meter. Oh no they don't! If my understanding is correct once we get a smart meter we don't get another one. So I'm stuck with the British Gas prepayment smart meter which only BG can read and Scottish Power won't give me a new meter and I'm also stuck with submitting manual reads every month. Long time passing until I get a smart meter I think. What a shambles!
    British Gas smart prepayment meters when in credit mode are just another "dumb " siemens E6 Landis and Gyr or Siemens meter
    .All suppliers will accept these meters in dumb mode.I work for BG and Scot Power, and their meters are fine with each other. Switch from Scot Power then if they are up to their dirty tricks again
    . They always were the worst supplier on meter exchanges charging over £200 a time to move from prepay to credit mode with dumb meters
    Ofgem stopped that sharp practice which condemned many to expensive and inconvenient prepay meters
    Suppliers who have chosen , for reasons of economy , Secure Liberty meters, will need to exchange these meters for use in smart prepayment mode.
    Eon, Ovo, Utilita , First Utility are suppliers who would need to exchange the meter, at their cost
  • gadgetmind
    gadgetmind Posts: 11,130 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Our SMETS1 meters have remained "smart" through two switches.

The DCC (Capita) are now enrolling SMETS1 meters in various "cohorts" so that they can more easily remain smart as currently it's quite complex.

Holdouts who for various reasons (usually ignorance) can be encouraged to upgrade their meters by having the best tariffs denied to them until they change their position.
    I am not a financial adviser and neither do I play one on television. I might occasionally give bad advice but at least it's free.

Like all religions, the Faith of the Invisible Pink Unicorns is based upon both logic and faith. We have faith that they are pink; we logically know that they are invisible because we can't see them.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    When it is proved to me that it would be cheaper to have a smart meter which remains smart, I will consider having one. Until then...
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Options
    gadgetmind wrote: »
    Our SMETS1 meters have remained "smart" through two switches.

The DCC (Capita) are now enrolling SMETS1 meters in various "cohorts" so that they can more easily remain smart as currently it's quite complex.

Holdouts who for various reasons (usually ignorance) can be encouraged to upgrade their meters by having the best tariffs denied to them until they change their position.

Can you provide evidence for your statement re SMETS1 "enrolment" by DCC ????
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    British Gas smart prepayment meters when in credit mode are just another "dumb " siemens E6 Landis and Gyr or Siemens meter
    .All suppliers will accept these meters in dumb mode.I work for BG and Scot Power, and their meters are fine with each other. Switch from Scot Power then if they are up to their dirty tricks again
    . They always were the worst supplier on meter exchanges charging over £200 a time to move from prepay to credit mode with dumb meters
    Ofgem stopped that sharp practice which condemned many to expensive and inconvenient prepay meters
    Suppliers who have chosen , for reasons of economy , Secure Liberty meters, will need to exchange these meters for use in smart prepayment mode.
    Eon, Ovo, Utilita , First Utility are suppliers who would need to exchange the meter, at their cost

I don't think I'll switch from Scottish Power just yet because I'm on the Super Saver December 2018 fixed tariff and that's £100 exit fee (£50 per fuel). Yes I know they work in dumb mode. As I posted I have to submit meter readings monthly. My point is that I want a smart meter but can't have one due to the BG smart prepayment meter set to credit mode already installed. It's a complete shambles.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure