Help with redundancy and retention bonus

I’m after some help please! I’m currently in consultation for dedundency as the company is moving location to Derby, this is 70 miles from it’s current location and is not commutable for me. We have been offered the statutory redundancy and also a retention bonus if we stay to train our replacements until 30th April. I am worried they are going to turn around at the end and say they will not pay the retention. If anyone has been in this situation what do I need in writing and can they do this legally? There is also an offer of fully paid travel to continue training in Derby for 3 or 6 months after 30th April, do you think I should ask for a larger retention to do this as it wouldn’t actually be beneficial for me to go to Derby? Thanks.

Comments

• I was in that position 10years ago where my company was closing Scotland head office and moving everything to Sheffield. We were given statutory redundancy as well an extra £800 I think to retrain and tidy up and pack up so I stayed for the bonus. I did this to end date but beyond this and did not travel elsewhere to do further training.

I think you need to find out if the bonus is for just training up at your office until 30th April or do you need to also do training elsewhere afterwards to get the bonus. Then you can decide if worth staying for bonus as you can leave early as still get redundancy pay from them. Good luck in your job search.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    I’m after some help please! I’m currently in consultation for dedundency as the company is moving location to Derby, this is 70 miles from it’s current location and is not commutable for me. We have been offered the statutory redundancy and also a retention bonus if we stay to train our replacements until 30th April. I am worried they are going to turn around at the end and say they will not pay the retention. If anyone has been in this situation what do I need in writing and can they do this legally? There is also an offer of fully paid travel to continue training in Derby for 3 or 6 months after 30th April, do you think I should ask for a larger retention to do this as it wouldn’t actually be beneficial for me to go to Derby? Thanks.
    Get agreements in writing. Past that, you can ask for whatever you want. And they can refuse.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure