Shared ownership - refusal again

Comments

• AliceBanned
    AliceBanned Posts: 3,048
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thank you triple chic chip. Moral support is exactly what I need. I thought I'd turned a corner. It's just a very long corner and I'm not there yet!

It's encouraging to think of the debts that will be gone in a year. Yes I am using snowball calculator. And YNAB. 😊
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    I have been told by my employer that I can work from home 2 days a week (previously just one day). This will save me quite a bit in travel costs - down to £110 per month (from £140-160 depending on which mode of transport I use) if I average out over the year and take off annual leave.

I have a job interview on Friday anyway so might be moving on though I won't take the first job I get offered! I am seriously looking and applying now though.

Bit tired of the London commute I have to say..:(

Not sure what is the right job for me either.
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    Hi, Alice, I hope things are going well for you. I found Budgetgirl's vlogs on Youtube helped me keep motivated, her situation is different, being in the US, but she has just paid off her debts (not mortgage) after three years of steady work. In general, I do like looking at some of the Youtubers, as well as on here, as it can really help with ideas. One young woman initially amused me by saying that she was only going to have neutral-coloured clothes, and had made a list of what she needed to buy! What she actually did was ebay lots of her other stuff, and used the cash from that to get things from the US equivalent of Charity shops. Personally, I wouldn't really fancy an all neutrals wardrobe, but it helped me examine my own attitude to clothes, and currently I'm on even a charity shop ban after a huge car bill.
    Best wishes for your debt clearance.
  • smem18
    smem18 Posts: 79
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't really have any good advice but I just wanted to comment to say hang in there. It might seem like a really long road ahead and it is horrible but relatively speaking, this will be a short period in the whole of your life. You will be debt free one day if you just keep working hard and chipping away at it. A new job could be just around the corner that pays more, and even if it isn't, just think where you will be this time next year and how much better off you will be! A year flys by. You can do this!
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    Molillie wrote: »
    Hi, Alice, I hope things are going well for you. I found Budgetgirl's vlogs on Youtube helped me keep motivated, her situation is different, being in the US, but she has just paid off her debts (not mortgage) after three years of steady work. In general, I do like looking at some of the Youtubers, as well as on here, as it can really help with ideas. One young woman initially amused me by saying that she was only going to have neutral-coloured clothes, and had made a list of what she needed to buy! What she actually did was ebay lots of her other stuff, and used the cash from that to get things from the US equivalent of Charity shops. Personally, I wouldn't really fancy an all neutrals wardrobe, but it helped me examine my own attitude to clothes, and currently I'm on even a charity shop ban after a huge car bill.
    Best wishes for your debt clearance.
    Thank you Molillie. I will check out the youtube vlogs.

I've saved a lot by not buying clothes but recently started buying some, mainly in charity shops. I thought I would buy no clothes for a year (apart from underwear lol) and I managed it and found I didn't want to splurge after that. It felt like a waste of money. Some of my favourite clothes which I get compliments on when I wear were bought in charity shops.

I've also learnt to go without holidays and do cheap things. The debt is going down slowly.

And...I had an interview on Tuesday and got a call today - I got the job!! I really liked the place and am really in need of a change. The commute is better and cheaper too and I can work from one 1-2 days. I've only applied for 3 jobs over the past year so it was much easier than I thought! I think other people value my skills more than I do. I think depression sometimes gets in the way and I can't see things realistically. But I was ecstatic as was really looking forward to tell my employer, who behaves atrociously at times, goodbye (politely of course;)).

New salary £36,500..north London.30 days' leave rising to 40 with time off in lieu.
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    smem18 wrote: »
    I don't really have any good advice but I just wanted to comment to say hang in there. It might seem like a really long road ahead and it is horrible but relatively speaking, this will be a short period in the whole of your life. You will be debt free one day if you just keep working hard and chipping away at it. A new job could be just around the corner that pays more, and even if it isn't, just think where you will be this time next year and how much better off you will be! A year flys by. You can do this!
    Thanks smem18. That's very encouraging. I need the moral support. As you will see from my previous post, something came good and I handed in my notice today for a better paid (and hopefully better conditions) job. :j. I had an interview earlier this week and they called me back and offered me the job! They were interviewing for 2 days and said there was tough competition. Has really boosted my confidence.
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just wanted to offer some encouragement, and congratulations on the new job!

Debt can be so demoralising, but try and focus on all that you have achieved.

Even being able to face up to the debt head on and make a plan to tackle it is such a monumental step that so many are scared of doing.

Well done, keep going!!!
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    Thanks SuBoJVR. Slow and steady progress. :beer:
    Had a couple of beers last night and going out again to celebrate later. :D
  • Molillie
    Molillie Posts: 134 Forumite
    So pleased with the job news, I hope it is a turning point for you!
  • AliceBanned
    Forumite
    Thanks Molillie. I have been stuck in a bit of a rut for a while. Although I enjoyed some of the content of my current job and was never bored, I need something that can bring opportunities. I feel I am being taken for granted.

It's strange how people show appreciation when you leave - managers are emailing me saying sorry to see me go 'especially after so long' and my manager is desperately trying to get me to write handover stuff down as he knows he is losing a lot of corporate knowledge. Tough.:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure