Unknown mobile charges

Hi all, I am hoping you can advise me on something that I have noticed on my mobile bills. Over the past 6 months I have noticed my bills getting higher and higher. I have only just had the chance to look into it and noticed there are some unusual charges. When I ask for more information, it says it may have to do with TV votes or competitions. Now, I have enter a competition via text on a rare occasion but an unsure why I am being charged all these different charges each month. The codes given by EE for each of the £3.75 charges are along the lines of 700046078 or 700044151. Do you know what this is and whether there is anyway that I can claim it back ans I have calculated that it accumulates to around £80. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me. Julie. xx

Comments

• Atasas
    Atasas Posts: 753 Forumite
    EE, I don't remember if does offer blocking facility to rouge premium charging "services"
    But in short, it seems you have got caught and it will be ever so hard to get out of them, as they will use every possible avenue to steal money and "legalize" the charges.
    Once you managed to stop one "service", they'll sell your information to the other, when they will bombard you with calls txts etc.

http://psauthority.org.uk
    They kinda meant to be of help...

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/complain-about-a-premium-rate-phone-charge-or-text-message/
    bit more in detail about official ways to resolve it
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Atasas wrote: »

I get the impression that Citizen's Advice haven't got a clue what they are talking about.
    For starters...
    Premium rate numbers include 118, 0870, 0871, 0872, 0873, 070 and 09 numbers.

Service numbers also cost more than standard calls but aren’t premium rate numbers. They begin 084, 087, 09 and 118.
  • I never go to them. They are a complete waste of time in most cases.
  • metrobus
    metrobus Posts: 1,784
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Atasas wrote: »
    EE, I don't remember if does offer blocking facility to rouge premium charging "services"
    But in short, it seems you have got caught and it will be ever so hard to get out of them, as they will use every possible avenue to steal money and "legalize" the charges.
    Once you managed to stop one "service", they'll sell your information to the other, when they will bombard you with calls txts etc.

http://psauthority.org.uk
    They kinda meant to be of help...

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/phone-internet-downloads-or-tv/complain-about-a-premium-rate-phone-charge-or-text-message/
    bit more in detail about official ways to resolve it

I am sure you can request a premium rate block with EE.
  • Jools222
    Jools222 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Thanks everyone - as I don't look at my invoices too often, it has been left to fester and get more and more charges each month. I have searched the codes and they belong to Oxygen8 Communications, Channel 5 and ITV Broadcasting. I am going to contact them all via email today requesting a refund (not much hope there) but do you think it's worth telling EE I will leave if I don't get the refunds as I would have assumed that this thing couldn't happen and that there was some sort of protection. Thanks again for all of your helpful advice. Julie.
  • Jools222
    Jools222 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Hi there. I just wanted to thank you all once again for your help. Today I received a cheque for the whole amount owing to me from Oxygen8.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    metrobus wrote: »
    I am sure you can request a premium rate block with EE.

These "phone paid services" do not count as premium rate numbers and are difficult for networks to block, they really need some robust action from Ofcom and that is unlikely, as Ofcom are not worth the air they breathe.
  • I too have been charged a lot of money by Oxygen8 on my EE phone. However I was passed from Oxygen8 to Globway and was then informed that the charges relate to a Quizzo game operated by Mobici. The phone user must have clicked a link but then did not enter a PIN number or verify on a website as claimed by the company so I am hoping for a good outcome.
    The number has been recently blocked and does not appear on a phone checker site. I have sent a couple of emails and am awaiting a reply, preferably with some money back.
    Moral - check your mobile phone bills, especially if you are the bill payer but not the phone user.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure