Can I retire at 55?

Hi,

I have 3 pension pots that total roughly £520,000. I will be 55 in a few months. Its only recently dawned on me that I MIGHT be in a position to retire much sooner than I had always thought. I.E. at age 55. However...
£350,000 of the pot is in a Fidelity pension that I can keep an eye on daily. I’ve been alarmed that in the last 12 months it has hardly grown (less than 1% growth). I know that things go up and down, but its making me depressed!

I have no mortgage or any other debts and live a fairly frugal life. I’m a couple of years short of full state pension, but I can easily top that up.

So my plan is to drawdown £20,000 a year (inflation adjusted) and then reduce that accordingly when my state pension kicks in, and probably reduce it gradually sometime after that as I get ‘proper’ old. In my spreadsheets I'm putting in an inflation figure of 2.5% and a growth rate of 2%.

Can I ask if this seems like a do-able plan, or am I just dreaming and need to keep on working for a few years yet. After working continually since I was a teenager I am REALLY REALLY wanting to be done!

Thanks a lot in advance.

Comments

• Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Put it this way...if you run out of money in 20 years, getting a job to top up your bank account is likely to be much harder than continuing to work for another few years now and getting the loot safely stashed away.

It must be very tempting to decide to pack it in, but things have a nasty habit of costing more than you ever thought they would. A few more years of work (?could you go part time) would give you a much greater safety margin.
  • Dox wrote: »
    Put it this way...if you run out of money in 20 years, getting a job to top up your bank account is likely to be much harder than continuing to work for another few years now and getting the loot safely stashed away.

It must be very tempting to decide to pack it in, but things have a nasty habit of costing more than you ever thought they would. A few more years of work (?could you go part time) would give you a much greater safety margin.

Thanks for that (I think :)). Not what I want to hear but I 100% see what you are saying. I was just hoping 520k would be enough.
    Thanks again.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't the plan is that far fetched. If you took the "a few more years" argument literally you would never retire.
  • westv wrote: »
    I don't the plan is that far fetched. If you took the "a few more years" argument literally you would never retire.

Now you I like! :):):)
    To be fair, I should have said that £20,000 is not what I spend now. I actually live on less (more like £16,000). The extra money is to allow for the unexpected.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    westv wrote: »
    If you took the "a few more years" argument literally you would never retire.

Not if the 'few more years' starts now and ends in a few years - and it would make a lot of sense to bank some more cash while OP's earnings capacity is still strong.
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Have you factored in any capital expenditure that might occur during retirement such as new car, kitchen, bathrooms, etc?
  • Alexland wrote: »
    Have you factored in any capital expenditure that might occur during retirement such as new car, kitchen, bathrooms, etc?

If I can get a growth rate of 2% then I would say yes. There will be the money available to take extra lumpsums when needed (within reason of course).
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,797 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would probably do it however try and be flexible. Don't do it straight after a stock market crash should there be one in the next few years. Be flexible about your yearly amount. If the markets are down then take out less, if the going is good then consider more.

I am aiming for about that amount by 55 too
  • Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    So are you expecting 2% above inflation and fees so around 5% market return per year? To get that return going forward you might need a high proportion of equities exposure which might leave you exposed to pound cost ravaging if continuing to withdraw during crash years. Your plan looks a bit tight to me.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    In my spreadsheets I'm putting in an inflation figure of 2.5% and a growth rate of 2%.

Inflation is running at a higher rate than that currently.
    I’ve been alarmed that in the last 12 months it has hardly grown (less than 1% growth).

Does that include reinvested income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport