Technology that you avoid

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    What for though, just gaming? It's a classic example really: in the 1990s you saw people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around on TV and we were told it was the future. Fast-forward 20 years and exactly the same views of people wearing VR headsets waving their arms around. In 20 years they hadn't found a use for it. (And they make you barf.)

You could argue that about TVs - 20 years ago we were sitting around watching a screen and here we are 20 years later sitting watching a screen, so applying your logic nothing has changed?
  • I avoid twits!
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    You could argue that about TVs - 20 years ago we were sitting around watching a screen and here we are 20 years later sitting watching a screen, so applying your logic nothing has changed?

Yeah but sitting around watching TV is what they are for. AFAIK there was no practical use for VR headsets between the '90s and the 2010s.

As far as TV goes, HD is worth having. 3D died on its erse. Some things are worth having, others, not.
  • motorguy
    I avoid twits!

Likewise!

I use technology to help me avoid the general public :-
    • online shopping
    • supermarket home delivery
    • online entertainment
    • apps that mean you dont have to go to people (banking, holidays, etc)
    • chat functionality on websites
  • motorguy
    edited 7 July 2018 at 4:10PM
    Yeah but sitting around watching TV is what they are for. AFAIK there was no practical use for VR headsets between the '90s and the 2010s.

As far as TV goes, HD is worth having. 3D died on its erse. Some things are worth having, others, not.

VR is an interface - often just a different / better way of doing what can already be done. What you can do with it is down to the technology.

And a lot more has happened in 20 years with TVs :-
    • LCD Screens
    • TVs are much bigger
    • SMART TVs - giving you apps instead of having to pretty much rely on an expensive cable / SKY box.
    • Optical sound output
    • Soundbars
    • HDMI connectivity

And likewise VR technology has improved greatly over the same time - the Oculus Go being the latest incarnation of that and the first to offer standalone capability with decent, usable performance at an (almost) buy it now price.

I think it will be interesting to watch the VR space over the next few years.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    motorguy wrote: »
    … And likewise VR technology has improved greatly over the same time - the Oculus Go being the latest incarnation of that and the first to offer standalone capability with decent, usable performance at an (almost) buy it now price.

I think it will be interesting to watch the VR space over the next few years.

Fair enough from your info it is coming into its own now, but perhaps that's the same kind of situation with voice-controlled technology now as VR was in the '90s: it isn't really good for much now, but will be good for something in future. It's basically a technology looking for a worthwhile use at this stage?
  • motorguy
    Fair enough from your info it is coming into its own now, but perhaps that's the same kind of situation with voice-controlled technology now as VR was in the '90s: it isn't really good for much now, but will be good for something in future. It's basically a technology looking for a worthwhile use at this stage?

Have a read at this

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/03/26/what-does-the-future-hold-for-virtual-reality.aspx

And this

http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/future-tech/7-ways-virtual-reality-will-change-the-world-11363913841925

The technology itself has matured so an awful lot more is viable than was.

Right now - and with the Oculus Go - i look at as an insight in to what the future could look like with it, but its definitely something to keep an eye on :)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Do you also still drive a car with a carburettor and points and condenser ignition?

At least I'd have a clue what to check & test when it doesn't start
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • GunJack
    GunJack Posts: 11,673 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    The biggest single issue with "tech" these days is the constant data harvesting that's going on through it.... a lot of the current stuff would be more palatable if there was none of that going on...
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......

I have a dodgy "i" key, so ignore spelling errors due to "i" issues, ...I blame Apple :D
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,781 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

It's amazing how many people without Voice controlled tech appear to think it doesn't do much.
    It's not for everyone, but then again, neither was the remote control.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills