Transferring large sum into NS&I direct saver

Good morning!

Something I never thought I would be worrying about is having too much money in the bank :rotfl: unfortunately its only temporary between house sale and purchase.

So after looking into several "instant" access accounts I think I have settled on NS&I direct saver at 0.95% not the highest rate but no need to split my money into £85k chunks.

But... whats up with the system of transferring money in? Rather than sending it to my own account number and sort code it goes to a generic ns&i one with my account number as reference. I have done £1 to set up my new payment from my bank and the lump sum of £218,000 will follow in a few weeks when my sale completes. Has anyone got experience of depositing funds this way? Anything I should be aware of? How does it take?

Thanks

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,047 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've used debit card for > £200K with no problems. I think bank transfer is more likely to run into problems with upper limits
  • Zanderman
    Zanderman Posts: 4,683 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    As ColdIron say, use a debit card. That's what I use to fund NS&I accounts. If I recall correctly it's the primary option for the Direct Saver isn't it?
  • SG27 wrote: »
    Good morning!

But... whats up with the system of transferring money in? Rather than sending it to my own account number and sort code it goes to a generic ns&i one with my account number as reference. I have done £1 to set up my new payment from my bank and the lump sum of £218,000 will follow in a few weeks when my sale completes. Has anyone got experience of depositing funds this way? Anything I should be aware of? How does it take?

Thanks
    Did something similar with standing order from bank account to NS&I Premium Bonds with account number as reference. Took several days to appear in Premium Bonds account but otherwise OK.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]If you use a debit card you will probably have to clear it with your own bank 1st as £200k+ is likely to be way over the normal limit.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Also I think NS&I have (or had) an upper limit on a debit card payment of £99,999.99
    [/FONT]
  • muvvahen
    muvvahen Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 July 2018 at 4:02PM
    Over the course of a few days I've also been paying money from a house sale into my NS&I Direct Savings Account, as well as an easy access account at Paragon. I've been paying it across in £10,000 chunks using direct bank transfers.

Both Paragon and NS&I use the system you describe: sending money to a generic account with your specific account number as the payment reference. Must admit I was dubious but it works just fine. Just double, triple and quadruple check the account reference (I sent a small 'tester' payment to make sure it worked before committing larger sums to the ether).

My current account only allows you to transfer up to £20,000 a day. It's a bit disconcerting as the money doesn't appear in the NS&I account until a few days later. With Paragon I can see it in my account within a couple of hours.

The NS&I Direct Saver account rate is fairly rubbish, but at least it's 100% safe in the hands of our wonderful government :rotfl::rotfl:

I figure it's an OK place to hold cash while waiting for a market correction to get back into S&S.
    Too chicken to stay in the rat-race...
  • vw100
    vw100 Posts: 306 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Chaps transfer - the whole lot in one go, although a charge of £25.00 - just saves the stress of split payments.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure