PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Help re Stamp Duty and New Build

Options

Hello,

I wonder if someone can guide me please. I have two houses - my main house in West Midlands that I permanently live in with the family and a small BTL flat worth approx. £190k which I have had for 10 years.

I am looking to move and buy a new build for £420k I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer in order for me to make an informed decision.

1. My current house is potentially worth £370k. The builder has suggested that part exchange might be available. Realistically what are they likely to offer me for my old house (20% less than market value?).

I know it’s a challenging market at present and its very attractive to have someone take my old house off me without the pain of showing people around etc.

2. The BTL is worth 190k. I make a small profit of £200 per month. We are thinking of selling the property. If I sell my BTL within 3 years what stamp duty would I pay on the new build? I recognise that I will need to pay the higher rate stamp duty initially but if I sell the BTL within 3 years do I get a refund on the higher rate stamp duty tax.

3. I have heard good things about Which? mortgage brokers. I will need to borrow an additional £60k in order to fund this move overall would you recommend that I use a broker please.

Comments

• 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    you are very confused
    - you are going to sell your current main home
    - you are going to buy a new main home (the fact it is new build is irrelevant for this question)
    - you are going to retain the BTL ... for now.

You are therefore REPLACING YOUR MAIN HOME, so your exposure to the higher rate is based very simply on the timing of the sale, for which there are only 2 possibilities:

a) if the sale of your current home completes on or before you complete the purchase of the new build you will NOT pay the higher rate at all

b) if the sale of your current home completes after you complete the purchase of the new build you will pay the higher rate, but, provided the sale takes place within 3 years of the purchase, you can claim full refund

- the sale of the BTL has no impact whatsoever on the higher rate SDLT on the purchase of the new home since the BTL is not your home and the higher rate is based on whether you are replacing your main home or not. You are replacing it...
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Maisie11 wrote: »
    My current house is potentially worth £370k. The builder has suggested that part exchange might be available. Realistically what are they likely to offer me for my old house (20% less than market value?).
    Closer to market value I would have thought. But if they're giving you part-ex they're more likely to expect you to pay list price for the new place.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 July 2018 at 8:37AM
    Options
    Maisie11 wrote: »
    Hello,

I wonder if someone can guide me please. I have two houses - my main house in West Midlands that I permanently live in with the family and a small BTL flat worth approx. £190k which I have had for 10 years.

I am looking to move and buy a new build for £420k I have some questions that hopefully someone can answer in order for me to make an informed decision.

1. My current house is potentially worth £370k. The builder has suggested that part exchange might be available. Realistically what are they likely to offer me for my old house (20% less than market value?). - they will look to sell it at market value so they will want to recover their buying & selling costs from you, as well as a margin to take away the risk of the price moving. So they'll buy from you at something below market rate, how much I'm not sure. Is there any reason you can't sell on the open market yourself?

I know it!!!8217;s a challenging market at present and its very attractive to have someone take my old house off me without the pain of showing people around etc.- you can get agents to do that. The developers will still want their surveyor & valuer around so you will need to deal with some of that.

2. The BTL is worth 190k. I make a small profit of £200 per month. We are thinking of selling the property. If I sell my BTL within 3 years what stamp duty would I pay on the new build? I recognise that I will need to pay the higher rate stamp duty initially but if I sell the BTL within 3 years do I get a refund on the higher rate stamp duty tax. - No, beause you haven't lived in the BTL recently, but that's irrelevant. The point is you're replacing your current main residence in the west.
    - If you sell then buy, (or on same day) then no higher rate stamp duty
    - If you buy then sell within 3 years then you pay higher rate stamp duty on purchase of the new build, but get a refund when you sell your current main residence.

3. I have heard good things about Which? mortgage brokers. I will need to borrow an additional £60k in order to fund this move overall would you recommend that I use a broker please.- In general a whole of market broker can really find a lender who isn't available to the general market or select the one providing the best rate / accepting your circumstances. Having said that, for a relatively low LTV, unless you have an unusual employment/credit history, you may be fine on your own and with a small loan size, getting a slightly better interest rate may not total as much as the broker fee - worth doing your sums.

Responses in line.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport