PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Zoopla /rightmove house valuation

Hi all. I have been regularly checking my house value on mentioned sites and noticed some discrepancies just now. We bought our house 4 years ago for 200k and few month ago it was estimated nearly 250k. Following latest check the value dropped by 15k and I wondered why so started checking recent sales in the area and didn't see anything unusual apart from one thing. Our next door neighbour bought their house one year after us and paid the same price as us. And here is the twist. Current zoopla/rightmove records are showing that their house was sold 2 months ago for 135k.

But 1. It couldn't have been sold as they still live there as normal.

2. this sale price is unrealistic as all houses in the area are within 200k + range.

Anyone has any idea what possibly is going on, is it something dodgy? Or is it possible that there is data error on zoopla/rightmove stating that their house was sold way below market value?

I don't fancy go asking neighbours as dont want them to think we're being nosy.

Appreciate all suggestions.

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,067 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Could they have entered into some sort of sale and leaseback type arrangement? That might account for the heavy discount. Another possibility that I can think of is that they sold it to their chidren.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Maybe one of them bought the other out as they are divorcing, or half was sold/left to children

Look on the land registry and see if theres been a recent sale. Or of course it may just be an error.

Just shows how irrelevant these price estimates are.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    There are all sorts of discrepancies on there.

I've seen a past neighbour's house listed at the wrong price - he'd inherited it mortgage free and the figure they had must've been a small mortgage he raised on it.

More recently, a new build in 2010 never appeared on prices sold (maybe he bought it using his company to get a mortgage at the time) and then it appeared as "sold" just last year and he's still there, so I suspect he bought it from his company and/or remortgaged.... it's only showing as £240k though, even though the house was "worth" about £270-280k at the time, so maybe that's all he needed for a mortgage.

There's a lot not right about all that data.... and the more you look, the more inconsistencies you see.

It's really not worth bothering about - there's nothing you can do - it's just data.... and Garbage In, Garbage Out.
  • Grenage
    Grenage Posts: 2,899 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The sale of my last house never made the Land Registry's records of sale, so it's not on Zoopla etc.

At the end of the day, don't worry about it. Zoopla/RightMove/etc figures are meaningless when it comes to the market value of a house. £300k, 500k, £2.50; it's all nonsense.
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I wouldn't call what Zoopla/RM do a "valuation", it's just an automatic guesstimated based on their data of nearby sales. As you pointed out this data can be wrong and/or sales might be missing in their database.

The sell value of your property is the amount someone else is prepared to pay for it.
  • cloo
    cloo Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I wouldn't read too much into these - they have a long time lag and you don't really get any context, so they are the roughest of guides and you won't see the reasons behind anomolies.
  • Surrey_EA
    Surrey_EA Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    fishglobe wrote: »
    Appreciate all suggestions.

Ignore what Rightmove/Zoopla suggest your property might be worth.
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    edited 4 July 2018 at 11:52AM
    Surrey_EA wrote: »
    Ignore what Rightmove/Zoopla suggest your property might be worth.

Exactly this!

My house on zoopla is £334,000

Just sold it for £304,000

.you are better registering for updates on nethouseprices or similar to see what sold prices sre near you for similar houses.
  • wlondoner
    wlondoner Posts: 25 Forumite
    Don't trust it get a professional in and 2 estate agents too then you have 3 and go with the average

My neighbours identical flat here in London is showing as is worth £15k more than mine! They are exactly the same 5 year old properties (even the interior kitchen and bathroom are the same)

I guess it's just there to give you a rough idea of the price
  • How about allegedly selling house way below market value or even purchase price? Could this be real, error or something else?

They are young couple with small child so they couldn't have sold it to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure