Coupon Stockpile Challenge!

Options

Comments

• Thriftygifty
    Thriftygifty Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with everybody elses views, this is crazy, I've just started thinking about using coupons as our circumstances have changed, I've spent time reading the various threads on here by genuine people and doing research and thank everyone for their contributions but as far as I can see all this thread will achieve is new people walking in looking at the stash photos and then walking back out to go and exploit the coupons which then the companies wont want to issue anymore and if companies see these photos its not going to have a positive outcome! Genuine people who use coupons put the time and effort into it.

I love MSE it has saved me lots of money and guidance and been nothing but positive but if this is the way it's going to go I might as well be reading a well known trashy newspaper!

If I did have stashes I wouldn't post on here and would be less inclined to share any coupons I came across.
  • Call_of_Trouty
    Call_of_Trouty Posts: 5,666 Forumite
    edited 18 July 2013 at 7:50PM
    Options
    I think it's a great idea, here's part of my coupon stockpile :D

2013-07-18184225_zps7bc74505.jpg
  • rhosynbach
    rhosynbach Posts: 7,664 Forumite
    Options
    i think you are encouraging people to take advantage of coupons and abuse them so you can get some good pictures. of greedy stashes i thought this site was to help people that needed it some people rely on these coupons to help with their weekly budget, when they have been stopped how is it going to help the people that really need it.
    SHAME ON YOU......
  • Dr.Who-Who
    Dr.Who-Who Posts: 7,774 Forumite
    Options
    YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WILL TELL YOU :rotfl::rotfl: Errr maybe Hasland if you people "MSE mod" have not banned him ages ago :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    RIP my dear dear parent : Mum aged 62 (17/5/1990) & Dad aged 89 (23/1/2012)

• anyakitten
    anyakitten Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    This site stopped being about helping people when it sold out to Money Super Market. The people who use the forum still help each other but the newsletters from Martin are self promotion tools for MSM - see latest one where first one says to use the website then to supposedly add balance "if time use Confused.com".... Really disapointed and angry about the multiple threads now trying to bring out the greedy. What's the point of this one when we have http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=62505345&posted=1#post62505345
  • ScarletRaven
    Options
    I agree with everybody elses views, this is crazy, I've just started thinking about using coupons as our circumstances have changed, I've spent time reading the various threads on here by genuine people and doing research and thank everyone for their contributions but as far as I can see all this thread will achieve is new people walking in looking at the stash photos and then walking back out to go and exploit the coupons which then the companies wont want to issue anymore and if companies see these photos its not going to have a positive outcome! Genuine people who use coupons put the time and effort into it.

I agree it will lead to exploitation and abuse of coupons.

I frequent the Extreme Couponing UK facebook page as one of the places to find links for coupons (as well as the boards on here, of course). I've noticed in the last couple of weeks that the page has gotten increasingly popular, with many of those 'liking' it seeming to be newbies to couponing. Unfortunately, these newbies are already being given the wrong idea about couponing by many people on there - I've witnessed others advising them to break coupon T&Cs knowingly, because they themselves have 'gotten away with it'. It's no coincidence that in that same time frame stores (including Asda at least) have started to crack down on coupon usage, limiting the amount of coupons to be used and even cutting out the use of many kinds of coupons altogether (mostly internet and/or pdf ones). These stores are changing their policies because of coupon misuse.

The one thing I'm sick to death of seeing on said page currently is the amount of people using those £1 Sure/Dove coupons from ATm machines on the wrong products (it is for a product that costs £5, but they are being used on a different product currently on offer for £1 - making said item free). These people are bragging about how they've gotten 30-50 of these free deodorants, knowing full well they have abused the system as it clearly states on the coupon which item the coupon is for. Some have gone so far as to admit they knew it was for a different item, but wanted to see if they could get away with it, then when it's pointed out they shouldn't be doing that, they have the cheek to say things like 'well why not, if we can get away with it' or even better, that it's not their fault if the checkout operator didn't realise it was the wrong item! This is a brand new item, so the operators won't have seen many (if any) being sold yet, so they probably think the cheaper one is the right item as it's the same brand and more recognisable to them.

I've couponed for a long time, and it's only recently I've seen this level of abuse and stupidity on such a grand scale, and I can't help but think it's the popularity of certain facebook pages causing this. It's the lazy person's forum after all, where everything is handed to you on a platter, then idiots tell you how to break the rules and show off about how they get away with it - so of course many others are tempted to do the same!

I put time and effort into couponing as we genuinely need to save money in our household. We are a young couple that have a baby on the way in a few weeks and my partner has a 3 year old son that stays with us at the weekends. Our £45 a week grocery budget (for food AND toiletries/household items) wouldn't stretch as far without my coupons. I shop every Monday, and each Saturday evening I sit at the computer with my coupon folder, Lidl's offer booklet, MySupermarket's website open, and the coupon threads I use. I meal plan for the week ahead and work out the best way to use the £45 without going a penny over if possible.

If we lost the ability to use coupons due to other people abusing them, not only would I be angry, we'd lose out (as many people would) on necessities and treats alike. On our budget necessities come first, and treats are a rarity - but couponing has allowed us the odd treat here and there and I'd love for that to continue. I also wish to continue getting money off expensive things like baby food/nappies etc - something that is really going to test our budget from September onwards. We have no spare income - coupons help take the price of our shopping down and without them I'm not sure how we'd manage.

Sorry for the extra long post/slight rant. I love couponing, and sharing finds with others than can also benefit, but I hate seeing how many people are starting to abuse coupons now due to facebook pages like 10 ways and extreme couponing uk. I do fear slightly that this part of the forum may do the same if it draws too much attention from people with little to no morals.
  • vikki_louise
    vikki_louise Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Why don't we have an extreme coupon for charity challenge? No one needs 50 bars of chocolate, 200 toblerones and 500 chocolate oranges but a food bank would
    Best wins in 2013 £200 and Mini iPad. 2014 no wins. 2015 2 nights 5* hotel with £300 vouchers plus £1150 Harrods gift card
    Rehome an unwanted prize or gift with a seriously ill child through Postpals.co.uk
  • bjreeve
    bjreeve Posts: 104 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Zorica wrote: »
    Post pictures of your biggest and best coupon-assisted purchases

NO.

That would be total madness.

AS IS THIS BOARD :mad:
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,774 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Another poster who thinks this is a stupid idea.
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • happydays89
    happydays89 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    Yay more encouragement of selfishness, greed, buying loads of things you don't want/need and hoarding.

I try to get as much free stuff as possible,I keep what I need and the rest is given to the local food bank,they are always really pleased because they are really struggling to feed everyone at the moment,with all the benefit cuts coming in.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure