Renewables: "talking 'bout my generation"

Comments

• EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    seagull09 wrote: »

Strange day today, looks very bright out there but output is lower than yesterday for same time of day (allowing for 1 hour later clocks movement).

Strange here too ! Output peaked (3kw) at (alleged) 12:00 (i.e. an hour and a bit before noon), dipped half a kw but is back to 12:00 reading now (just before 2pm BST). Pretty sure that was high level broken cloud around (proper) noon but wasn't actually staring upwards at the time. Extrapolating curve I might have got to 3.3kw given clearer skies.

Notice your 600 litre rainwater storage mentioned in signature. Rainfall less reliable in E Midlands - I need 4.4 cu metres to ensure I can keep flushing lavatories through several rain free weeks. Never run out since I upgraded from 2.4 cu m though I have been quite close a couple of times.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • EricMears
    Wow, that's 4400 litres - not sure I'd even have room to store all that! Excellent idea though to use it for flushing, it's the next thing I'll look at doing once roof sorted out, as I'm on a meter. I suspect half what you have would be adequate here given the, erm, slightly higher rainfall. :cool:

Afraid this is way off topic - sorry folks.

Yes, it's 4 x 1 tonne transitanks in basement plus 2 x 200litre storage tanks in loft.

Lavatory flushing is biggest single use of mains water and it's one of my hobby-horses that it's a profligate waste of resources to purify water to drinking standards just to flush it. It accounts for about a third of domestic water supplies so any metered consumer could immediately knock a third off water bills (and sewerage bills too if you discharge to a public sewer - we don't).

We usually have to pump approx 100 litres per day from basement to loft - and of course it's a bonus to do that with free electricity - so could withstand six weeks of drought which seldom happens here.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • sly_dog_jonah
    sly_dog_jonah Posts: 1,003 Forumite
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Well it's been a fantastic week in cider country: 108.7kWh in the last 7 days. Only 45kWh needed to beat PVGIS by 25% with 5days to go and a great forecast for the next few days. The haze this weekend has constrained the output compared to our new record last Monday, but can't complain as the clouds have been few and far between.
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • Same experience for me. Despite beating Tuesday's previous record by nearly 3 kWh, I was struggling to exceed 3000W at lunchtime. However, sustained low voltage meant that I was able to have my immersion heater on up to a half hour after my optimum orientation, which is now 14.45, so I did that for free whilst generating only 2900 - 3000W for that period.
    So, could the problem have been ozone?
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Same experience for me. Despite beating Tuesday's previous record by nearly 3 kWh, I was struggling to exceed 3000W at lunchtime. However, sustained low voltage meant that I was able to have my immersion heater on up to a half hour after my optimum orientation, which is now 14.45, so I did that for free whilst generating only 2900 - 3000W for that period.
    So, could the problem have been ozone?

I believe hazy sunshine is just caused by very thin high cloud. Ozone blocks UV light, but I don't believe that part of the spectrum is captured by PV.

Today the blue sky looks much bluer in cider country and our output is already around the 2kW level, which is much closer to our previous record day at this time of day (ignoring British Shorts Time).
    Cider Country Solar PV generator: 3.7kWp Enfinity system on unshaded SE (-36deg azimuth) & 45deg roof
  • EricMears
    edited 26 March 2012 at 11:45AM
    Yesterday was my second best ever day at 19.93 kw (the cloudy spell at noon held me back from 20kw barrier !). The better day was on 4th Sept when I got to 22 and we're now less days after equinox than that day was before the autumn one. You'd think the last few days in August might have been better still but they were mostly quite cloudy.
  • EricMears
    edited 26 March 2012 at 11:43AM
    O/T: Thanks for the reply EricMears regarding your rainwater system - presumably you have to keep the loft rainwater supply to WC completely separate from mains water, do you have a diverter valve for if you run out of rainwater?

Still O/T - but "we've started so we should finish" (else we'll get a string of PMs asking for details ;) ).

The WCs are supplied from the loft tanks - as used to be the norm in the 'good old days'. Anyone who has ever needed to use a lavatory during a water mains maintenance day will share my anathema at the modern trend of using a mains feed for WCs ! :eek:

The tanks have a perfectly ordinary ballcock arrangement for filling with mains water - except that the in-line isolation valve is almost always turned off. An additional feed to the tank from pump in basement has a level alarm to alert operator to switch off pump.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yesterday was my best day since 10th August. 11.2kWh, 2kWp, SSE facing, 37 degree pitch, north Sussex.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • sly_dog_jonah
    Car Insurance Carver!
    Another near-record day in Cider Country, with a 20.8kWh generation recorded today. :cool:

Monday last week remains our record and had a slightly higher performance curve at each stage of the day, despite the sky being just as clear as I recall (in fact there were some lunchtime clouds at lunch time last week too). My theory is that the wind last week was cooling the panels more to help them generate power more optimally.

I've started calculating a 7d,14d & 30d rolling average on my spreadsheet. The 7day is currently running at 15.5kWh and 14 day got into double figures yesterday for the first time, while the 30day rolling average hit double figures on Friday. According to PVGIS, our estimated average generation in March should be 7.86kWh/day, and should peak at 12.6kWh/day in June.

We've already exceeded PVGIS estimate for March by 14% (with 5 days to spare) and only need 26kWh more to beat it by 25%. Considering the rubbish week we had here two weeks ago, I'm pretty chuffed the monthly performance is still looking so good.
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 March 2012 at 9:08PM
    KevinG wrote: »
    Yesterday was my best day since 10th August. 11.2kWh, 2kWp, SSE facing, 37 degree pitch, north Sussex.
    And 11kWh today, despite thick fog until nearly 9am. Things are really ramping up now. Have already exceeded PVGIS for March by 20% and just exceeded SAF PVGIS. :)
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback