Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Pigeon0707
    • By Pigeon0707 5th Sep 19, 5:23 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Post-divorce mortgage question
    • #1
    • 5th Sep 19, 5:23 PM
    Post-divorce mortgage question 5th Sep 19 at 5:23 PM

    Situation: Just divorced, one child (6). I rent a flat. All amicable. I pay amount we agreed prior to separation for child costs, bills, etc. Our plan was that in Dec 2020, when the council house deposit/discount becomes capital we own, my ex would buy me out. I would continue to support, she would stay in the house and I’d have a lump sum to use as deposit elsewhere.

    Worry: my ex only works part time. I’m not sure how she is going to buy me out. Anyone got any ideas for options? I should point out I’m looking for friendly options, not ways to force her out. We still get on, I just need ideas for how she might be able to release the money that’s mine.

    Many thanks
Page 1
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 5th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • 2,612 Posts
    • 3,089 Thanks
    • #2
    • 5th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    • #2
    • 5th Sep 19, 6:14 PM
    How much is due to you, how much is outstanding on the current mortgage and how much does she earn?

    Does she have any debts, HP, catalogues, credit card etc?

    Any missed / late payments or other prior credit issues?

    Rough figures so people can offer advice
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 5th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • 7,687 Posts
    • 9,993 Thanks
    • #3
    • 5th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    • #3
    • 5th Sep 19, 8:08 PM
    She will need to remortgage, so it is about how can she maximise her mortgage capacity.

    Some lenders will include child support in looking at someone's mortgage capacity, but may want to see that it is recorded in a court order or a formal assessment from the CMS.

    She may be able to get a mortgage over a longer period than your current mortgage - e.g. over 30 years or until she is 67, rather than a 25 year mortgage / mortgage until she is 65.

    Another thing to consider is that she might be able to remortgage to get your name off the mortgage, but then for you to have a charge over the house and an entitlement to your share of the equity a little later It's not ideal for you as you don't get your money so soon, but may be the most practical first step,
    • BAFE
    • By BAFE 8th Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    • 195 Posts
    • 185 Thanks
    • #4
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    • #4
    • 8th Sep 19, 5:49 PM
    The logical answer would be for your ex to work full time and for your child to live with you. Even if she manages to increase her earnings, she still has to pass affordability checks and its difficult to do that when you're paying for childcare.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

2,038Users online

Martin's Twitter