Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soblivion
    • By soblivion 22nd Aug 08, 1:29 PM
    • 1,121Posts
    • 4,566Thanks
    soblivion
    Fantastic tradition for little ones
    • 22nd Aug 08, 1:29 PM
    Fantastic tradition for little ones 22nd Aug 08 at 1:29 PM
    I thought this was so brilliant, http://organizedchristmas.com/magic-elf-holiday-tradition I don't have anyone to do it for but thought you'd like to see anyway.
    For the life of me I can't seem to find any elves online except the American link on here to buy - such a shame. Maybe the crafties amongst you could make one.
    You could box it all up and give as a gift in October or November for relations with little ones too with a note for parents explaining the idea.
    Such a shame I can't find any bloomin elves.:rolleyes: (maybe they're all helping santa)
    I've seen parents make little boots and scarves etc. while the elf is visiting to give them as a gift and taking the elf on days out. Quite magical for children I thought.
    All the printables are on the link too.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 18-11-2008 at 6:50 PM.
Page 5
  • fletty
    This morning we couldn't find peppermnt anywhere untill we made breakfast and found him in the fridge!!! he had new hats' gloves and scarfs because it was so cold and snowing outside (perfect timing could he be real?) and he'd also left some glitter drawing's for them to do when they come in from school.
    p.s. all the mothers in the school yard offically hate me!!!
    • yummy-mummy-amy
    • By yummy-mummy-amy 2nd Dec 08, 8:51 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    yummy-mummy-amy
    bless. bertie disappeared as well last night/this morning. he left a note saying he had gone exploring the house and would leave a clue in his book later. well the clues said he was somewhere cold that reminded him of home..... he was found in the freezer with chocolate santas! hats probably have been more use as its turned horrid here in cambs.
    • Jammygal
    • By Jammygal 2nd Dec 08, 9:12 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Jammygal
    Snowball ( our elf) came knocking at the door tonight....much to the kids dismay!
    They put him to bed but he has been up painting snowflakes on the windows all evening!!!
    He also wrote Snowball was here on the top of one window! I don't know what we have let ourselves in for!!!!
    • donna73
    • By donna73 3rd Dec 08, 12:38 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 3,445 Thanks
    donna73
    read this thread last night, i'm going out to try and find an elf this afternoon. I'm going to write a letter from father christmas to the kids to explain that an elf will be arriving in a day or so. Can't wait to see their faces! this thread has made me feel all warm and christmassy- thank-you
  • rosieben
    ..... I'm going to write a letter from father christmas to the kids to explain that an elf will be arriving in a day or so.
    Originally posted by donna73
    donna, there's a printable letter, passport and report card here

I had an email from my dd in Oz this morning (I've sent them an elf) and they've been reading about the elf escapades on various forums; dd says dsil is so excited and already plotting elf-y surprises for dgd.

not sure if this one's been mentioned or not, but some really funny ideas there
    Last edited by rosieben; 03-12-2008 at 12:59 PM. Reason: forgot to put the link in .... duh ......
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • GemR
    Hi

I am sooo excited. Batty and Snappy are all packed up in their wicker sleigh, complete with sleeping bags, passports, bags of snow, magic elf chocolates, mini pencils, naughty or nice report book, letter from Santa and blank letters and envelopes to return to Santa. They are going to arrive on our very snowy doorstep (we have lots of it here in the North West) when dd gets home from school. I've got lots of treats, craft projects and mischief planned too. Dh doesn't know about them yet either so he will be as excited and surprised as the kids!

I don't know if anyone else has found these or not, but I picked up two perfect elf sleeping bags at Ikea on Monday for £1.65 each (they are actually storage bags, but far better as elf sleeping bags I think ). I got a green and a blue but there is a dark pink one too. They have a loop on the back which is also perfect for hanging them on to the curtain hold backs or a door handle etc.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/30132810

Also got two packs of Cadbury's Magic Elf chocolates at Home Bargains today. 99p for 10. They are like Freddos but all different elf names with popping candy in.
    • soblivion
    • By soblivion 3rd Dec 08, 3:03 PM
    • 1,121 Posts
    • 4,566 Thanks
    soblivion
    Thanks everyone for giving us your elf reports, I'm 42 but still a big kid at heart and I'm really enjoying reading about all the escapades.
    As I said earlier my 2 are way too old for this so it's lovely to read about your little ones. I sooooo need some grandchildren. Ohhh hang on I just heard my DD shout in Thailand 'NO WAY!' LOL
    • maria and the imps
    • By maria and the imps 3rd Dec 08, 3:17 PM
    • 2,034 Posts
    • 13,195 Thanks
    maria and the imps
    has anyone made there elf, i'm having a real problem finding one, my mum can knit one but we cant find the right colours of wool and i have search high and low for instructions and the only ones i can find seem really hard and i also cant find any teddies and i really want to do this with my imps, please please help!!!!
    13 in 2013 challenge 9/13
  • fletty
    Well today we got up to a right mess!!! Peppermint was sitting with all the xmas teddy's he could find watching the nightmare before xmas and there was popcorn everywhere and empty cups from my daughters tea set (she's amazed he knows where she keeps things!) the kids thought this was really funny and Emily couldn't wait to tell all at school. oh the looks!!
    • yummy-mummy-amy
    • By yummy-mummy-amy 3rd Dec 08, 5:13 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    yummy-mummy-amy
    hi,

today we got a note from bertie saying that his friend rudolph is coming for the weekend as my eldest son wanted a reindeer! to keep them amused until the weekend rudolph has sent the rudolph and the island of misfit toys dvd. bertie is going off tomorrow to meet rudolph and will return on friday morning.
  • PINKIE1
    has anyone made there elf, i'm having a real problem finding one, my mum can knit one but we cant find the right colours of wool and i have search high and low for instructions and the only ones i can find seem really hard and i also cant find any teddies and i really want to do this with my imps, please please help!!!!
    Originally posted by maria and the imps
    i already have my elves but i saw some in tesco today.They were hanging in the baby clothing section,i think there meant as a cuddle teddy,but i thought they were lovely,i think they were £4. hope this helps. good luck!
    Last edited by PINKIE1; 03-12-2008 at 7:06 PM.
  • tillybilly
    hi all, our elf arrived this morning with his notebook , passport etc. Tonight I can see he is eyeing up my sons advent calendar and I think he might be contemplating climbing up to itand eating some of the chocolate...I envisage a chocolatey face in the morning and some choc wrappers lying about.

Hmm, 22 days worth of mischief, I hope my elf doesnt run out of ideas before christmas eve!
    It's BOUGHT not bRought
    • yummy-mummy-amy
    • By yummy-mummy-amy 4th Dec 08, 9:28 AM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    yummy-mummy-amy
    [QUOTE][Hmm, 22 days worth of mischief, I hope my elf doesnt run out of ideas before christmas eve!/QUOTE]

here are a few ideas i have found on different sites, i hope they help.

Appear in different places most days
    Hide for a few days Ė but leave a note for kids to try and find it
    Hide in freezer with not about it was like home
    Leave small gifts/sweets or notes
    A list for santa with whats going onÖÖ.good and bad
    Take pictures and write in a notebook about adventures
    Scatter ďsnowĒ on them every night (hole punched paper)
    Elfs playing with toys over night!
    Sitting on xmas tree with tripod set up to get a pic
    Hanging from xmas lights in window
    ďsnowball fightĒ with cotton wool balls
    Decorate the kids doors with snowflakes to feel like home
    Have a mcdonalds Ė and leave elf with wrappers!
    Hang candy canes about the place
    Xmas games on internet after school
    Colouring xmas pictures with other toys
    Drinking alcohol
    Watching xmas movie with remote in hand
    made a zipline from the Christmas tree across the living room with fishing line and a straw.
    Write elf jokes and leave around
    Take a picture next to all of us asleep
    Notes in school bags/lunchboxes
    Get the elf to write questions for the kids to answer
  • tillybilly
    some great ideas yummy mummy, thanks for that!
    It's BOUGHT not bRought
    • donna73
    • By donna73 4th Dec 08, 12:01 PM
    • 450 Posts
    • 3,445 Thanks
    donna73
    got my elf yesterday, i've made some special elf food to put in his box with him when he arrives tomorrow- mixture of oats, and cake sprinkles- please use the idea if you want.
    And here's the letter i've written for the kids to get after school today- again please feel free to use/ adapt it
    Dear ...
    I donít suppose you were expecting a letter from Father Christmas were you! By the way I havenít had your Christmas lists yet donít forget to send them soon.
    Anyway as you know this is my busiest time of year, reading all your letters and keeping an eye on you all to make sure youíre behaving. Well the thing is Iím quite an old man now, and there are so many children in the world that Iíve had to come up with a new way to get everything done in time. So this year Iíve picked some special children, including you two, to send one of my elves to. The elf Iíve chosen, will be delivered to your house in the next day or so, and will live with you until Christmas Eve. He will keep an eye on you both to make sure youíre being really good and will let me know, so that then you will get all the presents you deserve. On Christmas Eve I will collect the elf from your house and take him home with me to the North Pole.
    The elf Iíve picked out for you is called Chipper Twinkletoes. Heís a playful little fellow and one of our younger elves at 324 years old. I guess you think thatís pretty old, but some of my elves are over 800 years old, so he really is one of the youngsters. Heís very good at his job but a bit mischievous at times so you need to keep an eye on him for me. You may think he seems quiet as he doesnít talk- well thatís not actually true he does speak but only when humans arenít around. Heís very good at watching and listening though, and he can read and write so if you want to ask him any questions write them down and he will leave an answer for you, he might also leave you messages in the journal he will bring with him. If you want to you can take a few photos of him and put them in the journal too, heíd like that. There are also a few rules to remember when looking after an elf, but Iíll make sure that I send all the information with him that youíll need.
    So look out for a parcel arriving for you both soon, remember to send me your lists, and most importantly keep being good.
    Love and Christmas Sparkle
    Santa
  • poohzee
    Where did you get your elf from Donna?
    • Jammygal
    • By Jammygal 4th Dec 08, 1:56 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 2,162 Thanks
    Jammygal
    Originally posted by maria and the imps
    My mum made this one for my kids from an Alan Dart knitting pattern but he does do other elves if you are a keen knitter

• PINKIE1
    last night our elves alf and wilf put up decorations in the dining room,then left breakfast for the kids.they had covered the table with a christmas tablecloth (£1 for 3 in poundland) then left out christmas plates (again £1 for 3 in poundland) with star shaped pancakes and chocolate filled pancakes and a note telling them to ask mum to cook them.we found the elves sat on one of the kids chairs watching the snowman dvd.tonight i think they are planning a trip to mcdonalds in my car whilst listening to jingle bells.

i am having so much fun with this,its great seeing the kids getting so excited every day.
    • yummy-mummy-amy
    • By yummy-mummy-amy 4th Dec 08, 6:16 PM
    • 1,066 Posts
    • 2,105 Thanks
    yummy-mummy-amy
    my eldest asked if bertie was stil at our house when he came out of school, bless him. i have even managed to get OH to help me.
  • fletty
    Peppermint was fishing in our fish tank this mornng along with one of ds teddies, my daughter wasn't happy and gave him a good talkng too. I don't know what he'll do tonight.
    It was really snowing when we got up, its quite deep might make my husband go out soon and make a snowman to surprise the kids tomorrow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,945Posts Today

8,602Users online

Martin's Twitter