Informing pip/esa oh changes

Ghjl
Ghjl Posts: 75 Forumite
edited 18 July 2018 at 9:39PM in Benefits & tax credits
Hi so last Thursday I broke my hip and am in hospital I had surgery and had 6 pins put in and hopefully Ill be out by Friday/Saturday this week. Would I need to inform pip/esa that I have broke my hip or would that not count. If I do inform them could it mean going for another assessment my last asseement was just over 3 months ago. Its going to be 6 weeks before I can weight bear on it and roughly 12 weeks before It will be like I never broke it I dont know if this counts as having to inform them

Comments

• Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    What awards do you already have? I would be very wary of telling them, as it would trigger a review and you could lose what you already get.

If within 12 weeks you'll be back to how you were then it won't count for PIP as short term problems aren't eligible for it (I think you have to have had the problems for three months and be expected to have them for another nine, but I could be wrong about that).

For ESA you'd be better again by the time they've reviewed your case.

I'm assuming your timescales stay as they are, as there are rules about how long you can be in hospital and still claim benefits.

Obviously if there are further complications (hopefully not!) then the advice would change, but I'd let sleeping dogs lie for now.

Best wishes for the recovery.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Ghjl
    Hi I currently get esa and I am in the support group and I get pip with enhanced for both According to the doctors Ill be out by Friday/Saturday and made a full recovery within 12 weeks. When I say full recovery I mean as in Ill be back to how I was before it happened
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    In that case, as you can't get a higher benefit there's absolutely no point telling them and putting at risk what you're already getting.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Ghjl
    Ok thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills