Will I need a new tyre? Accidentally parked car with half-tyre on the kerb.

Comments

• To be fair to the OP I have friends who think the tyre pressures are something they do on the annual service! I wish I was kidding. So 3 months is probably regular by comparisson to the average joe.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    I don't check them every week like I should, but I do check them at minimum once a fortnight. I am currently doing too much driving to be let down by something within my control.
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Everyone knows what you're supposed to do but to be fair, I never check mine and I suspect most people don't either. I've never seen anyone in my street out there checking their tyres.

A quick glance round now and again to see how the tread's going and whether they look a bit soft and it's job done unless the TPMS flags a fault.
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Also, don't check them if they have been in the sun for any length of time. I didn't realise what a difference it made to the pressure until last year, so I had been incorrectly inflating my tyres for years (well, the 2 that are in the sun when it's sunny)
  • SuzieSue
    SuzieSue Posts: 4,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    chrisw wrote: »
    Everyone knows what you're supposed to do but to be fair, I never check mine and I suspect most people don't either. I've never seen anyone in my street out there checking their tyres.

A quick glance round now and again to see how the tread's going and whether they look a bit soft and it's job done unless the TPMS flags a fault.

Never? You should check at least once a month. The TPMS warning isn't a substitute for checking tyre pressures.
  • Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Now that the incompetent clowns Highways England have abolished the hard shoulder on the local motorway, I visually check all tyres by walking around the car before each journey.

There have been several deaths and serious injuries caused by "all lane running" implementation due to vehicles in lane 1 (which used to be the hard shoulder) colliding at motorway speeds into broken down vehicles. :(
  • James_N
    James_N Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ratrace wrote: »
    ideally you should check every week (me sunday) this is my routine

1. Make hot coffee
    2. Go out check oil (top up if needed)
    3. check anti freeze (top up if needed)
    4. check screen wash (top up if needed)
    5. check other levels (same as above)
    6. check all 4 tyres with psi reader (add more air if needed)

7. Go back in and enjoy your coffee thats cooled down lol

ps: i know someone who was driving around with 2 bold tyres and 3 months out of mot and yet they complain when the car breaks down erm... ok

You forgot:
    8: Polish halo
    Under no circumstances may any part of my postings be used, quoted, repeated, transferred or published by any third party in ANY medium outside of this website without express written permission. Thank you.
  • You should be able to do a visual check, notice how the car is manovering or maybe if mpg is decreasing....:beer:
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you. Nietzsche

Please note that at no point during this work was the kettle ever put out of commission and no chavs were harmed during the making of this post.
  • Back to the original post. It is highly unlikely that simply parking half on and off the kerb will cause the tyre to leak, however, I guess that a hard strike at the right angle could temporarily break the seal and cause a problem, though I am struggling to convince myself that it could re-seat itself afterwards.

A couple of causes are that a tyre may be slowly losing pressure and what does happen is that once they get below a certain pressure they lose their shape and are more likely to not be well sealed and the pressure drops more quickly.

Most likely the tyre has a slow puncture, or a poor rim seal (corrosion on alloys can cause problems) and the tyre has been going down for a while and the kerbing has simply made you look - a coincidence). Tyres get a real hammering along a typical road surface (think of the forces involved in hitting a poor bit of road surface on the motorway at 70mph, or cornering on an A road where the car is near the limit of grip) and then consider the forces of simply riding up a kerb and sitting there, you'd have to be looking at a high kerb hit fast to really cause problems.
  • EmmyLou30 wrote: »
    To be fair to the OP I have friends who think the tyre pressures are something they do on the annual service! I wish I was kidding. So 3 months is probably regular by comparisson to the average joe.

I'm not sure why but that reminds me of the person who bought a guitar from me and complained a week later that it was no longer in tune. :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure