Christmas Party Games!!

I am having a party on Christmas day and I would be grateful for any suggestions on party games. I have a mental family so the wackier the better.

Comments

• My mum's friend always has Pass the Parcel for the adults. In between wrappers are small, silly toys and gadgets such as a bouncy ball, folding teaspoon, dice, etc. You could put in forfeits instead.

I've recently seen a Christmas version of Pick Up Sticks - toss a pile of candy canes onto the table. In turn, you put a candy cane into your mouth with the curled end downwards. Use this to try to extract a cane from the pile on the table - if any move, you're out.

Using pool noodles or lengths of foam lagging, bop balloons across the table to each other. If the balloon goes over the heads and onto the floor, the team that batted it gains a point. First team to seven wins.

HeadBanz - make paper headbands and attach a card to the front. On each card should be a different character (you could have Christmas themed ones, such as Santa, Elf, Rudolf, etc). You have to guess which character you have on your headband by asking questions - but the answers can only be Yes or No.

Play a Left/Right game, such as this one

http://christiancamppro.com/twas-the-night-before-christmas-gift-exchange-game/

You can have just one gift, or you could have something for everyone. It's fun if you have something that people are more likely to want, and something that they are not as keen on - so maybe a box of chocolates and a bag of sprouts.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Giant Jenga?
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    If your family has a musical bent, you can buy musical crackers which each have a whistle inside which plays a different note from all the rest.
    Easy instructions and 'music' is provided which enables each person to blow their note at the right time, so that all together the notes make a well-known tune.

https://www.dsmusic.com/products/christmas-crackers-with-whistles-concerto-sheet-music-design-box-of-8?gclid=CjwKCAiA9MTQBRAREiwAzmytw1styNC8hHg7PZY5d6FtxE8GDNH8v0P0cyRSKVvWniOXYu1FARPk0hoC57wQAvD_BwE
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 22 November 2017 at 10:13PM
    Pyxis wrote: »
    If your family has a musical bent, you can buy musical crackers which each have a whistle inside which plays a different note from all the rest.
    Easy instructions and 'music' is provided which enables each person to blow their note at the right time, so that all together the notes make a well-known tune.

https://www.dsmusic.com/products/christmas-crackers-with-whistles-concerto-sheet-music-design-box-of-8?gclid=CjwKCAiA9MTQBRAREiwAzmytw1styNC8hHg7PZY5d6FtxE8GDNH8v0P0cyRSKVvWniOXYu1FARPk0hoC57wQAvD_BwE

we've had those, think we got them in Lakeland. We've also had a set with different sized handbells in.

Not a wacky game but we usually play a Christmas Bingo & also Scattergories - loads of free printables like these online https://www.mypartygames.com/free-printable-scattergories-inspired-christmas-game/

There's also a type of pass the parcel game where you have one person reading a story and everyone else sits in a circle with one person holding a present. When the reader reads out something like'... the little girl turned right....' the person with the parcel passes it to the person on their right. When 'left' is read out, the parcels is passed to the left. Whoever is holding it at the end of the story keeps it.

In the rules of fairness, you should have at least a couple of stories for all to have a chance of winning something. The stories are something like this - https://www.whiteelephantrules.com/left-right-christmas-game/

*** ah, just noticed that kingfisherblue has suggested already suggested left/right story game ***
  • jackomdj
    jackomdj Posts: 3,073 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Cards against humanity is great - but very rude/risqu! so play with the right people.

Dirty Santa (white elephant is another name). Everyone brings a present, you take turns choosing/snatching from another person. After x amounts of goes everyone opens the one they are left with.
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Both Tesco and Sainsbury’s are selling crackers which contain a small wind up figure (Santa, reindeer etc) which you can use to have silly races on the table after your meal.

There is also the good old favourite Charades as well.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • LMG1305
    LMG1305 Posts: 179 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    I saw a video on FB the other day. It was a group of people round a table, one person had oven gloves on & the person on their left had 2 dice. They chose a number (you could choose anything really) and the person with the dice had to try & roll that number, while the person with the oven gloves had to try & unwrap a layer of the wrapping paper. When the person with the dice managed to roll the chosen number, they would give the dice to the person on their left & they would take the oven gloves & present. I didn't watch the full video but I assume it went on like this until the present had been fully unwrapped. I guess you could put other smaller gifts in each layer of paper or something.

I hope I've made sense explaining that. It looked quite funny.

Also 2 really stupid & a bit messy games - the After Eight games.

Game 1 - put an after eight on your forehead & you've got to try & manoeuvre it down your face just from wiggling your forehead, eyebrows, nose, mouth, anything really, to get the after eight into your mouth. First one to get the after eight in their mouth wins. If they drop it, they have to put it back on their forehead & start again.

Game 2 - sit at a table. Leave the after eight in the individual wrapper that it comes in and place it in front of each person with the opening of the wrapper facing away from them. Without using their hands they have to get the after eight out of the wrapper and eat it.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Cards against humanity. There nothing quite like your mum revealing the 'moist' card when posed with 'Barry whites voice makes me...?'

Heads up. Basically a an app based version of charades. You hold the phone to your forehead and people describe the word, they tell you its correct you tillt up and it moves to the next question. One of the best things about it (i mean why wouldnt you just play charades?!) is that it records people actions which is always good fun to go over. It used to be a free app but you have to pay now on apple (might still be free on android) and you can buy additional packs for about 99p.
  • Every Xmas Eve we play 'the present game', about twelve of us. You need a pile of small presents, we all chip in and get some so there are some surprises: only a pound or two per present, things like keyring, pen, notebook, chocolate sprouts ☺, and always a really awful one, (last year DD wrapped a copy of Nigel Farage's autobiography!) you need three or four presents per person. Everyone sits in a circle and takes turns to throw a dice. If you get a six you take a present from the pile, but don't unwrap. When all the presents are taken, you set a timer for ten minutes or so and go round again, but this time if you get a six, you take a present from someone else. When the time is up, what you have is yours. This is much more fun than it sounds, particularly if drink has been taken!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • LMG1305 wrote: »
    I saw a video on FB the other day. It was a group of people round a table, one person had oven gloves on & the person on their left had 2 dice. They chose a number (you could choose anything really) and the person with the dice had to try & roll that number, while the person with the oven gloves had to try & unwrap a layer of the wrapping paper. When the person with the dice managed to roll the chosen number, they would give the dice to the person on their left & they would take the oven gloves & present. I didn't watch the full video but I assume it went on like this until the present had been fully unwrapped. I guess you could put other smaller gifts in each layer of paper or something.

I hope I've made sense explaining that. It looked quite funny.

We play a similar game in Guides. Put a large bar of chocolate on a plate, with a knife and fork at the side. The chocolate must be the sort that has equally sized squares. Everyone takes it in turn to throw a dice. When someone throws a six, they have to put on hat, scarf and gloves, pick up the knife and fork, and try to cut a square off. In the meantime, the dice is still being passed around. Once another person throws a six, the first has to stop what they are doing, strip off the props, and the second person has to put them on before trying to cut the chocolate. The dice is, of coursse, still being passed around the remaining players (person number one joins in the dice throwing as soon as they are able). It can be a fast and furious game, and is really funny.

We haven't actually played this for ages, so I think we'll play it on Wednesday. We have a few girls who have only joined Guides this year, so it should be fun.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure