Christmas: Is four gifts the way to go?

Options
When purchasing gifts for family and friends, is buying four gifts for both mum and dad the best road to go down or doesn’t it matter and down to your financial circumstances?

Comments

• UKTigerlily
    UKTigerlily Posts: 4,702 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    4 gifts? Not sure what you mean? Does it matter how many gifts? One big? 5 small?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I too think it's an odd question.

Why 4 gifts?
    Why not 1 gift to the same value as the 4?
    Or 3?
    Or 2?

I'm of the firm belief that you should take your own personal circumstances into account when buying gifts.
    I spend a lot of money on my sister for birthdays and Christmas and I know she can't financially reciprocate (and wouldn't want her to) but she does buy me the most amazing gifts within her budget and I love receiving them.

I'd buy what you know your parents would appreciate within your budget.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Every family/purse is different. For a parent I'd think four gifts was "too many", but what is a gift?

For poorer people, who have nothing, four might not be enough if you're financially able to provide them with more.

For wealthier people, who have everything, four might just be a waste of money.

Setting an arbitrary low number tends to be the "trumpet blaring" sound of the middle classes, who already have everything ... as if they're Saints for "only giving four gifts" ...

And what is a gift? A chocolate orange, pair of slippers, a pot plant and jar of jam is four ....
    a pony, driving lessons, a football season ticket and a new leather jacket is also four.

It needs to be a balance of "reasonable" -v- "what a waste of time/money/effort".
  • Sanjeev_Nanda
    Options
    Can't understand what exactly you are trying to imply but as long as you have a good heart and bring something for anyone with good intentions then I think the amount doesn't hold any value. Its the thing that you think about them that matters.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I know what you mean - that old saying of
    one that you need
    one you want
    one to wear
    and one to read.

No I've never done that and I'd just get what you think they'd like but more importantly what you can easily afford. No parent wants a gift that their child is struggling to pay for. If that's the case much better just a nice card with a heartfelt message - would mean more anyway.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • Pollycat
    Options
    7roland8 wrote: »
    I know what you mean - that old saying of
    one that you need
    one you want
    one to wear
    and one to read.
    OP
    Is this ^^^^ the reasoning behind your question?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    OP
    Is this ^^^^ the reasoning behind your question?

Yes. Sorry
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    7roland8 wrote: »
    one that you need
    one you want
    one to wear
    and one to read.

I haven't heard this before. My mum wants a cardigan, button up type rather than edge to edge, and a pocket for her hanky. So that covers two of them, maybe three, as she says she needs it.

We buy books from the local charity shops, but I'll probabky get her some new ones (three for a fiver at The Works). I'll also give her a couple of other presents - nothing expensive, but things that she likes.

The present that I'm most looking forward to giving her, and she doesn't know anything about it, is a stocking. She still makes them up for my sister and I every year. I've started to get a few bits and bobs together :)
  • Pollycat
    Options
    Yes. Sorry

No need to apologise. I'd not heard of this before.
    I wouldn't follow an old rhyme.
    I'd just buy a gift that your parents would appreciate and you can afford. :)
  • nightsky224
    Options
    I have heard of this before but see it more aimed at children
    Recently married and loving it x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business