Complaint about Thomas Cook - worst customer service I've ever received

Options

Comments

• wordsearch
    Options
    While you were 'on hold' all that time, didn't the message on the loop tell you to "have your booking reference number ready"? Even if it didn't, sorry, but foolish thing to do & your own fault, though if calling from work I can understand why you wouldn't have it about your person, after all, who does?

I have in the past also rung a call centre extremely angry, & started my conversation by explaining that although I am furious it is not with them personally & I won't take my temper out on them, but I would like their help to sort 'it' out.

I find it best to ask who I'm speaking to right after that, & I note their name & use it often during the subsequent conversation, also noting date & time - for pretty much any call to any call centre, otherwise it's all far too anonymous for my liking. Though I go out of my way to stay friendly & polite because being difficult & rude get you nowhere (except disconnected).

It does sound like you got more than your fair share of sarcasm & rudeness, but TBH it also sounds as if you were doggedly determined to be somewhat awkward.

You clearly knew the message left for you would more than likely be about a flight cancellation, yet pretended not to have any idea, finally suggesting "probably the hurricane".

I agree that the operative could have phrased the cancellation choices better, but frankly, you don't sound so dim as to not have understood exactly what he meant.

Only reading one side it's difficult to judge, but I wouldn't be surprised if you weren't giving as good as you got.

Sorry your plans went awry though & hope you could rearrange your trip. Put this down to an annoying experience & a good amusing 'read' for us.

No, the loop didn't mention it. Perhaps now it is obvious I should have had the number and I completely appreciate that, however when I've had to phone them before they've never actually needed it. Plus in all honesty I thought I had the number written down though it ended up being a different one. You're completely right of course though, I should have checked and made sure I had it to hand, and that's only my fault.

As for suspecting it was a cancellation, I didn't - I thought it would have mentioned that in the voicemail, and as my friend who was on the same flight had received a call the day before informing him he could change his flight for free or cancel for a full refund, I assumed I was receiving the same call as I hadn't had that one, and again thought it owuld have mentioned that it was a cancellation. In terms of understanding what he meant - I wanted to clarify it, as it was over the phone and the line wasn't amazing anyway and I thought it made sense to just double check it. I appreciate that that's probably annoying, but I've worked my fair share of customer service roles and I don't think it's that hard to just make an effort to explain it and sound polite about it, even if inside you're wondering what on earth wasn't clear about it :-)
  • wordsearch
    Options
    A cancelled flight doesn't result in a cancelled a ticket until the passenger has exercised that option.

To get a refund the ticket is cancelled, to re-arrange it isn't.

It really isn't rocket science.

And that's fair enough, but I've not had that before. I've had flights cancelled before, they've called me and told me that they've automatically refunded me. Now I know that that's a thing that happens and I'll understand what they mean if it comes up again, no big deal.
  • wordsearch
    Options
    Perhaps some of the responses you feel 'blame' the OP are because there is, of course, only one side to this story & some of it doesn't quite fit together.

OP didn't have their booking reference (fair enough, he/she says they were at work, I wouldn't have mine there either), but they offered their PASSPORT number. They have THAT at work?

OP has a less than pleasant discussion about what the answerphone message asking him/her to call might be about, initially acting ignorant (for how long did that go on when travel/airline call centres were under intense pressure). Than finally admits not only did he/she think it "might be the hurricane", but later also states he/she thought the flight might be cancelled & already had a backup plan.

OP claimed not to understand why they were being invited to choose between cancellation or reschedule given that the flight was cancelled already, yes badly phrased but REALLY - you really think OP is dim enough not to have got that the operative meant refund or reschedule. Certainly bright enough to have put alternative 'just in case of cancellation' plans in place already.

OP did not have the c/c in order to obtain a refund which led to "more drama".....more drama to & fro between themselves & operative perhaps? Not necessarily one sided with OP purely on the receiving end maybe?

Are some people here right to perhaps suspect OP was also doing a bit of 'winding up'?

OP spent 30 mins on hold, then a further hour on hold, followed by a long argument. Then claims to work in the emergency services! Blimey, I wouldn't mind a job in that field if there are random breaks lasting in excess of maybe 2 hours.

The initial thread reads to me like customer service skills were very thin on the ground, but tempers short ON BOTH SIDES. There's no excuse for some of what has been claimed but this is, at the end of the day, only one side.

Hopefully OP will have felt better after venting here, taking it all out on his keyboard, & got off safely to his/her destination. :beer:

I feel odd having to justify myself on here, but yes, I have my passport number at work. Because it's in my head, I know it by heart, it's not a new number I need to remember.

As to why I didn't understand the cancellation bit - it was over the phone, I thought I could have misunderstood. It wouldn't have taken very long to just clarify the point, rather than me ending up cancelling a flight that I didn't actually need to. I've not had that option before, flights have been cancelled and they've just been refunded (or more often than not, let me know what hoops I have to jump through to get the refund...)

And yes, don't worry about my long break at work - I got to do a delightful three hours overtime to make up for it and finish at 1am :(
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Why Martin or any reputable company would want to be associated with the ridiculous amount of trolls and frankly nasty people who post on these boards amazes me.

Martin sold MSE some time ago
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Martin sold MSE some time ago

"associated".
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    Do I get a prize for knowing this poster has absolutely no idea what it's like to deal with customers!

Kezzygirl is possibly is a teacher or another similar profession.

Either way Kezzygirl has no idea how to deal with such situations. Kezzygirl is basically a very blinkered person and will always be until they can see why what they've wrote above is so blatantly narrow minded!

:rotfl: oh, believe me i have to deal with the public, warts n all, yet still have to be professional. I would be struck off if I didn't 😉 narrow minded? Blinkered? What planet are you on? Are you seriously telling me that because she didn't have her booking number the person on the other end of the phone has free reign to be sarcastic, rude, and refuse to hand her over to a manager? Jeez, please tell me you don't work with the public! 😅
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    Why did you put quotation marks around the word 'advisor'? Nobody on this thread has mentioned that word as of yet, so who the hell are you quoting??

If you would care to look again, they are speech marks....as in "advisor" in the least sense of the word, one would assume he was a customer service ADVISOR hence why I called him an advisor in a sarcastic tone. You know, like using your fingers to put speech marks around a word when speaking in order to denote a sarcastic tone? Is that enough of an explanation for you? Or would you like to pick a bit more?
  • kezzygirl
    Options
    The-Truth wrote: »
    Do I get a prize for knowing this poster has absolutely no idea what it's like to deal with customers!

Kezzygirl is possibly is a teacher or another similar profession.

Either way Kezzygirl has no idea how to deal with such situations. Kezzygirl is basically a very blinkered person and will always be until they can see why what they've wrote above is so blatantly narrow minded!

Oh, and by the way, 'dealing with such situations' I should imagine involves responding calmly, not winding the person up even more, pointing out their faults, being rude and uncooperative. You might like to research de-escalation techniques, you could learn a lot 😉. But then, what would i know, being narrow minded n all
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    hollydays wrote: »
    I've never worked in any job where I've felt the need to be rude to someone in the course of my employment. It's not professional.

have you ever worked in a job where members of the public were often rude and condesending to you through no fault of your own? I asume not.
  • scd3scd4
    scd3scd4 Posts: 1,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    baza52 wrote: »
    have you ever worked in a job where members of the public were often rude and condesending to you through no fault of your own? I asume not.

But that's his job not the OP. Is he not the service provider, the one trained, is it not part of his duties.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure